PDA

View Full Version : Switch rods

VIKING
08-10-2010, 04:00 AM
I Have a 8/9 overhand beaulah surf rod, which I like very much, however I am now looking into a switch rod,which I know very little about. I will be using the rod for coastal rivers for striped bass, New York steelhead &big trout. I would like to know a good size for me,& also a good line. A good manufacturer would also help. Thankyou Viking

aaron
08-10-2010, 08:43 AM
You might stick with the Beulah Surf rods. They're on the beefier side for slinging shooting heads in the surf while still very capable at fishing skagit/skandi specific heads for steelhead like your looking for. You might see if they have a lighter size. Sorry I missed that In your original post. If looking for something lighter just about every company is making a quality switch. Just be sure to get it lined right and you'll be fine.

Darian
08-10-2010, 08:59 AM
I own two Beaulah Switch rods. The first was a 6/7 weight. Sounded just right for Surf fishin'. Turned out to be a bit heavy as the grain window for that rod is equivalent to a 9 weight. Then I purchased a 4/5 weight and feel a bit better about using the rod for surf fishing and Steelhead in our local rivers.

I'm no expert at this but when choosing a line for a switch rod, it pays to think about the grain window the rod will handle and not the number designation. (e.g. 6/7, etc.). Since I was not very knowledgeable about this subject, I chose to buy one of the Elixir lines for for each rod. They're supposedly manufactured for Beaulah rods....

BTW, I'm sold on Beaulah rods.... :D :D :D

NVswitch
08-10-2010, 06:16 PM
Gary Anderson at Anderson Custom Rods makes some great switch rods. He knows his rods well and can recommend the right lines to match them. His switch rods equate to the single handed rod weights rather to the spey rods weights. For example: I have a 8 wt 11 ft switch rod of his and it equates in strength to a 9 ft 8 wt. single hand rod. so if you would normally use a 8 wt single handed rod for the size of fish you are after, the 8 wt switch would be the rod to get and so on. Talk to him and he will help you out. Kiene's Fly shop also carries Andersons's rods. Mike

oregonsteel
08-10-2010, 10:29 PM
I Have a 8/9 overhand beaulah surf rod, which I like very much, however I am now looking into a switch rod,which I know very little about. I will be using the rod for coastal rivers for striped bass, New York steelhead &big trout. I would like to know a good size for me,& also a good line. A good manufacturer would also help. Thankyou Viking

Beulah switc rods are VERY good. Very good fr being imported, good price.
TFO Deer Creek and Echo also very good. Scott has a very good switch made in USA for similiar pricing

oregonsteel
08-10-2010, 10:31 PM
You might check out the Beulah Surf rods. They're on the beefier side for slinging shooting heads in the surf while still very capable at fishing skagit/skandi specific heads for steelhead.

#-o#-o#
:eek::eek::eek:
:confused::confused::

The person says I only have a beulah surf rod, can someone recommend a good switch rod, and you say "check out the Beulah surf rods" SERIOUSLY???

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
:eek::eek::
:-s:-s:-s

Do you just look at titles and not even read the messages, then post as a shilll?? :lol::lol::

Why would you tell him to check out beulah surf rods when he already owns one??!??!? Hope Beulah sends you your check for 10 cents for shilling for them.

TaylerW
08-10-2010, 10:37 PM
os,
not necessary......

aaron
08-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Hello steve sullivan, oregon steel, superdupergaperwithacherryontop and whatever else you go by these days. Please leave, we've banned you numerous times. Please realize you are not welcome here. Thanks.

shawn kempkes
08-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Hello steve sullivan, oregon steel, superdupergaperwithacherryontop and whatever else you go by these days. Please leave, we've banned you numerous times. Please realize you are not welcome here. Thanks.

He has a great deal on canadian llama hair and snowbee reels.