PDA

View Full Version : Martis Creek Res.

OceanSunfish
08-07-2010, 01:28 PM
I drove by Martis the other day and couldn't help but wonder about it's potential.

I am interested in reading about other's opinions of what kind of fishery Martis would be if the dam were repaired, allowed to be filled to capacity, and managed properly.

It seems to me that this is a waste of a resource to the fly fishing community regardless of its convenient location and ease of access that might hinder it from reaching levels enjoyed by lakes much harder to access, etc. Nevertheless, it would be a nice option to have, etc. especially by those that don't have the time to drive further.....

What can be done?

Darian
08-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Don't know if it's still the case but at one time the area immediately surrounding the upper part of the lake was scheduled for development. I believe I read that some has already taken place.... :confused: If that's the case, restoration may not be in the cards for Martis. :confused:

If the lake is not developed, there's still the concern of potential flooding for downstream development. I wasn't aware the dam was "notched" but, if so, potential flooding may've been the reason for it. :confused:

At any rate, there's probably no money available for this type of activity. Especially, since there're so many other opportunities to fish in the immediate vicinity of the lake. Time to prioritize where expenditures are made.... 8-)

SHigSpeed
08-07-2010, 02:13 PM
I'd love to see this happen. We talked some Army Corps folks who said that the dam "leaks" - not on purpose I guess - but it's being repaired or at least studied. Also they're supposed to mow the weeds this year.

_SHig

Blueracer
08-07-2010, 02:37 PM
SHig - the weed abatement should have happened by this time. I was told they were planning to put nets down over the weeds and hold them close to the bottom vs. mowing.

1flyfisher
08-07-2010, 02:47 PM
It was a great lake that went to shit from neglect and mismanagement. A terrible waste. It pains me to think about it. :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

I had so much great dry flyfishing on martis. That is where I learned to flyfish for trout. Martis was an outstanding fishery back in the day until the flood in 97. I fished it daily for years and years as I was 10 minutes away Truckee and I could pop over there easily and get in some fishing. It was so good back in the day I would spend more time there than going to davis, frenchmans or anywhere else.
It had a great callibaetis hatch and blood midge hatch. Rainbows mostly 16-19" with occasional fish over that size 20-22". I caught browns from 14/15" to 26/27". 2 or 3 times a year I would catch a pig monster brown. Once A guy i was fishing with spotted a huge monster brown swimming around with a 19/20" rainbow sideways in its mouth. It couldn't swallow it, was just swimming around with it but wouldn't let go. I fished it real late and real early for them and had a few tricks for the browns. The rainbows would eagerly eat a dry fly callibaetis or blood midge dry. Not strong pullers but I would bang 12+ a day on the dry. It fished good from sun up to sun down. Callibaetis would come off starting around 9 am and go to 4 in the afternoon. When the wind would come up we would anchor up on the west end and the weed channels would create slicks where the fish would work and the fish move down to the west end around noon -1 oclock and go till 4. Then it would slow till the evening and tons of midges would come off and fish would rise all over the lake. Fish rising every where. ALL summer long it rocked. Every day for years. The 97 floods silted out the lake. It was much deeper prior to that. And When the water came down it left pools all over with fish trapped in them and people were driving by on 267 and seeing all sorts of animals going nuts feasting on the trout trapped in shallow puddles and pools. Coyotes, Bears, Ospreys, Bald Eagles etc where running around going nuts eating the trout. It never was the same after 1997 floods.

The next year/summer there were few trout left. That caused an explosion of lahontan redsides and miscellaneous chubs, perch etc.
They wiped out the callibaetis. You threw your bug in they immediately attacked your fly. They added more fish and tried cutts and such.

People blame the development and runoff from northstar golf courses etc for weeding it out. Although all of that isn't good I do not believe it is martis's main problem. Despite the crap that runsoff into that lake trout can survive. The water flushes nicely, the creek runs strong. Plenty of fish survive in there. Martis was always weedy. It just got silted out, especially the west end. It used to be much deeper on the west end where the creek comes in. There were channels and deeper pockets. I caught fish all through that water and the cove to the left of the creek which is now 1-2 feet used to be 3-4+ feet deep. There were 6-8+ channels but that is all one big flat that is 3-4 feet at best which extends 1/3 of the way into the lake. The water level right now is at the same level it has always been for years when I fished it. I was there checking it out 2 weekends ago before I went over to my friends bar at Squaw. Same problems since 98. Silted out and too shallow on the west end. The cove on the left (hard to explain where) on the little point where you can park was always much deeper and had fish working it. Now it is 3 feet deep and choked full of weeds.

Easy solution to fix martis. Army corps of engfineers needs to Drain it, fix the dam with some stimulus $$$, and Dredge it out. Restore it to the same quality fish habitat it once was. It has been done to other small lakes. Create some channels and deep pockets on the west end where the creek comes in. The creek runs cold all summer. Problem is it doesn't hit the lake into deep water say 4-6+ like it used to. Now it comes into a wide shallow area and immediately warms. So the bnenefit of the cold water the creek is pumping in all summer long is lost.

They fixed the whole place up nice. They put in picnic benches. and toilets, a fence and made it nice but they haven't done squat to restore the fishery. It is now a place to take your dog for Truckee folks. Some fish in the early spring but nothing like it once was. Drop the Wild Trout designation. Stock it when it needs it. Keep it catch and release and after you dredge it out drop a load of 10-12" eagle lake rainbows. They will mop up the lahontans and perch and the bugs will come back.

I believe the fishery can be restored and quality fishing to some degree will come back.

OceanSunfish
08-07-2010, 10:35 PM
1flyfisher: Thanks for the insight. This is the kind of info I was hoping to read, etc.

I hope to read more and perhaps there is something we can all do, etc. Nevetheless, it's another example of another fishery gone to "shit" in CA.

Blueracer
08-08-2010, 07:08 AM
Yes, thanks 1fly. The dredging out part is a big shot in the dark. I don't get the feeling that they think it's so bad.

bigfly
08-09-2010, 06:25 PM
If I understand correctly (and that is always up for question), they have a smallish fault in the area. Probably is'nt good for those down stream if the Dam goes in a quake.
We can always hope, but I doubt the lake will be filled more than it is.
Since the Corps. is taking care of New Orleans as well, I wouldn't hold out too much.
It is still very fishy, but you need to be on it before the water warms much.
The weeds go crazy, along with the red ears.
There is an rare/occasional 20" cuttie, but bigger fish are mostly Browns.
Pretty much done by this time of year.
I will test it this week, and let you know.
Better bet is Stampeed, Boca.

Jim

OceanSunfish
08-09-2010, 11:08 PM
Some additional info I found via Google:

Martis Creek Lake is formed by Martis Creek Dam on Martis Creek in Nevada County, California and is used for flood control and recreation purposes. Construction was completed in 1972. It has a normal surface area of 1.2 square miles. It is owned by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Martis Creek Dam, also known as Martis Creek Lake is of earthen construction. Its height is 113 feet with a length of 2673 feet. Maximum discharge is 4060 cubic feet per second. Its capacity is 20400 acre feet. Normal storage is 20400 acre feet. It drains an area of 39 square miles.

TODAY: 788 Acre Feet.

Darian
08-09-2010, 11:19 PM
WOW!!!! For a small impoundment, the maximum discharge rate seems to be really high. The lake could be potentially drained in six days. That doesn't seem compatible (too high :question: ) with the flood control purpose.... :confused:

Oh well,.... (just thinking out loud). :neutral:

Chet Troutpuncher
08-10-2010, 09:09 AM
You're right about the fault, Big Fly.
Here's more info:
http://www.sierrasun.com/article/20100323/NEWS/100329966

OceanSunfish
08-10-2010, 10:06 AM
Dam failure while at full capacity would certainly send a wall of water towards Reno, but it would also dump a lot of silt into the Truckee..... Bridgeport Dam and the East Walker comes to mind....

This has been very enlightening.

It's obvious that this is not a quick fix.

I just wondered why an already existing piece of infrasture was not providing its full recreational potential for those that would enjoy it, etc.