PDA

View Full Version : Bug from the bottom

Jay Murakoshi
08-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Here's a short a real short video that we took this morning showing a dahlberg at work. We are still working on perfecting the image. We also have some footage showing a couple streamers swimming in a current.
Once this footage has been perfected, it's going to be incorporated into the new video

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/GoPro/th_GoProBugAction.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/GoPro/?action=view&current=GoProBugAction.mp4)

Jay

Darian
08-06-2010, 09:28 PM
The image shows what a fish views on the edge of it. Clear view of surrounding trees/vegetation.... I gotta start being more careful of the color of clothes that I wear.... :)

Fats
08-07-2010, 06:36 AM
The image shows what a fish views on the edge of it. Clear view of surrounding trees/vegetation.... I gotta start being more careful of the color of clothes that I wear.... :)

Bright Neon would show, but as long as you are neutral you'd be fine. The fly rod waving back and forth would probably do more damage to your cause. It's a good illustration of what a fish potentially sees! The flies action is pretty good as well.

Jay Murakoshi
08-07-2010, 08:39 AM
This footage was shot in 4:3 format 960p at 30fps. This is way the wide/square video. 4:3 will give you a taller vertical shot compared to 16:9. I also shot some some footage in 16:9 format 720p 60fps. This will give you a wider angle but less height. I also used a different bug.

Jay

michaeln
08-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Surprisingly, that fly looks more alive when it is sitting after the glug... probably why so many strikes happen then. Well, also because it's easier for them to take it then, but the way that marabou or whatever it is pulsates is just sexy!

Jay Murakoshi
08-07-2010, 10:10 AM
The tail is chartreuse marabou with a hint of wig hair.
Here's another shot but using 1080p HD (1920x1080) @ 16:9 30fps. This is a dahlberg slider and it doesn't dive and plop as the blunt heads. But you can see what the hackles look like when striped. As for color, I don't know if a fish sees "real color" of if the lenses on a fishes eye changes color. I know they see the color red.

Next week, I hope to capture some underwater video of bait fish patterns, what they look like when striped back and when a two hand retrieve is used. Just by experimenting in my pool, you can see a big difference.

Ignore the heading.. It should work

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/GoPro/Dahlberg%20Slider/th_GOPR0016.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/GoPro/Dahlberg%20Slider/?action=view&current=GOPR0016.mp4)

Jay

royewest
08-07-2010, 10:42 AM
What leader are you using, Jay? Fluorocarbon or mono? Fascinating video.

Jay Murakoshi
08-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Leaders, we've talked about that yesterday. the leader you see in the video is 10lb Maxima. This week we are going to video 15lb Flourocarbon and see if it's visible

Glad you brought that up

Jay

john
08-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Great shots. I'm rethinking all the SMB stuff in my box. Esp. interested in the tippet differences, if there are any. ps, the san juan worm for carp thing was like a slap in the forehead, duh.

Darian
08-07-2010, 01:39 PM
The light reflected off the leader material (especially the knot) is a lot more than I supposed.... Wonder how much of that interferes with the need to strike. :-k Are Bass so focused that they don't even notice :?:

Jay Murakoshi
08-07-2010, 04:16 PM
John - are you chasing and catching carp. I was looking at the national weather reports and damn it looks like you guys are in a heat wave with humidity on top of that.
I was in my pool today trying to video tape the flourocarbon but there's way too much pool reflection and you can't see the fly that well. I guess it's better to film in the natural conditions.

Darian, I would think if a fish saw a flash that it would spook it or at least make it weary.
There's definitely a lot of light reflection coming off that leader as it trails through the water

Jay

john
08-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Jay, my/our carp season is late spring/early summer. Usually mid-june after they get done thrashing around in their sex-crazed ritual. Trick here is to find 'em circling when the water is still clear. We lose that clarity as the summer moves on, then it's a blind deal. Actually spent more time early summer chasing skipjack/mooneyes. They go off on caddis hatches, and are a hoot on 16#-18# dries. B/c they have a mouth that's underslung? you hook about one in 20. Been doing better on waterwisp-style flies. They really act like ladyfish, and jump, too.
Yep, it's dead air, 90, and humid around here. Just got Nat'l weather "lookout" #585-severe storms. Belize wednesday, with no tropicals on the horizon. Take care

lineas tenso
08-08-2010, 07:05 AM
Jay:

Have you thought of two flies, one tied to fluorocarbon and another beside it with mono to see how they compare for visibility? I have several new tarpon flies to test at my local lake. You just provided the method I need for a fish eye view.:idea:

Vince

Jay Murakoshi
08-08-2010, 08:56 AM
We're going to video tape the comparison of both leader materials this week. Hopefully we'll see how invisible the flourocarbon really is.
You'll need two people, one to strip the fly and another one to follow the fly with the camera.

Jay

lineas tenso
08-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Jay:

Make a small floating planer board and attach the two leader materials side by side.:thumbsup: