PDA

View Full Version : Nor-Vise

NCL
08-06-2010, 05:16 AM
I have been watching some tying videos and the tier is using the Nor-Vise and it looks really easy and fast to use. I presently use a Dyna King Barracuda which I really like but I was thinking about getting a Nor-Vise. Any use the Nor-Vise? What are your likes or dislikes?

Jay Murakoshi
08-06-2010, 06:58 AM
I've been using the Nor-vise for 5 years now. I have ventured through most if not all vises on the market. If your are tying nymphs and streamers, this vise does it well. After watching Norm at all the shows, I attempted to do a wooly bugger in under 30 seconds. So some guy timed me at one of the shows and I tied the fly in 22 seconds. Dubbed bodies can be tied with no wax needed.
It does take some time to get use to the vise but once you accomplish the task, I think you'll like the vise. The bobbins are what I really like. Being that they have a clutch, no more thread spools dropping to the floor. I still have a barracuda, professional, salt water dyna king vise but my two "go to " vises are the Renzetti Master and the Nor-vise

Jay

Kneedeep
08-06-2010, 07:07 AM
Been tying for years and have tied on most of the well known and some of the not so well known makes. All of them work; some just work better than others for certain things.

My favorite of them all is the Nor-vise. Easy to use and superb customer service. Norm is a capital fellow.

If you have an interest in tying on one, I suggest you get one and give it a try. If it doesn't meet with your approval, you will have no difficulties in selling it.

What I like best about them; I have three of them.
What I dislike about them; I don't have four of them. (yet) :D

NCL
08-06-2010, 07:16 AM
I would like to thank both of you for the input. This is the info I was looking for. I have to admit Kneedeep I laughed out loud when I read your dislikes.

bcarson4374
08-06-2010, 09:20 PM
here is another vote for the Nor Vise-

Top notch guy/customer service.

The vise will do most ANYTHING other vises do... But Norms vice does many things most wont.
Speed- Dubbing- Swappable Jaws- Its just a very smooth, well engineered vise.

Jay Murakoshi
08-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Norlander Vise company has been around for years, it's not a new vise on the market.

Thompson vise was the first vise that most people ever heard of. I know there were other vises before that. I have one made from a pair of vise grips and a "c" clamp.

Then in 1974 (I believe) Renzetti started marketing vises not long after that came the Nor-vise in 1976. After that, the Dyna King hit the market in 1982. ( I might be off a year or two but I believe this is the ladder ). I even have one of the original proto type Regal vises. The body was made out of a hard wood and then the jaws were inset into that.
Back then, there was so much pressure exerted from the jaws that it crushed the wire on the hooks. J. Dorian, I believe he was the inventor of this vise, sent me a spacer to insert into the gap on the jaws and you could adjust the tension by sliding this spacer up and down.
How many remember the AK vise. I also have one of those.

Just a little history, I'm sure Bill could add a lot to this - not saying that he's old but has been around the block a few times

jay

lineas tenso
08-08-2010, 09:15 AM
I have two AK Vises, pedestal and C clamp. In my collectibles: Thompson "A", "B", "F" and need a C clamp for another "A". The AK is my work horse.

Darian
08-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Hmmm,... Among several vices, I have had some very old types up thru and including my latest; a Dyna King, Barracuda Jr. My first was part of a Ned Gray Fly Tying kit my Dad gave me when I was 13 years old. It was a one piece affair; fabricated from what looked to be 14 or 16 gauge, galvanized sheet metal. The C clamp was bent into the frame and the jaws were adjusted by a small wing nut.... Since that time, I've had a Crest Vice (a Thompson look alike), Thompson's (regular and rotary), a Regal and the Dyna King. :cool:

Since I'm not a commercial tyer, I see the Nor Vice as a case of overkill for my purposes. But,.... Who knows.... :confused:

Altho, I haven't had a Nor Vice, I do use the "clutched" Nor Vice bobbin. Takes a bit of getting used to but it's the best of the styles I've used by far. :D

lineas tenso
08-09-2010, 06:33 AM
Darian:

My first vise (age 12) was one of those stamped steel contraptions that came with the NOL fly tying kits. A "friend" traded it to me for a L&S Mirrorlure. Was I ripped off. My Dad gave me a drop front desk to use. I tied with my right hand and the vise was facing the wrong direction. So I used a coping saw to cut out a section of the desk so I could turn the vise around. When my Dad saw the desk :angry:he asked what I had done with the missing piece of wood:-\". After I stated I had tossed it away I was handed his pocket knife and directed to the willow tree. :oops: I never did save enough money for a Thompson "A" vise which was way beyond my means (1950's).

Darian
08-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Your Dad made you cut your own switch :?: :?: My Dad never waited that long 'cause he knew if I got out of his reach he couldn't catch me again until I got hungry.... :lol: :lol:

sfspey
08-10-2010, 12:34 AM
Hmmm,... Among several vices, I have had some very old types up thru and including my latest; a Dyna King, Barracuda Jr. My first was part of a Ned Gray Fly Tying kit my Dad gave me when I was 13 years old. It was a one piece affair; fabricated from what looked to be 14 or 16 gauge, galvanized sheet metal. The C clamp was bent into the frame and the jaws were adjusted by a small wing nut.... Since that time, I've had a Crest Vice (a Thompson look alike), Thompson's (regular and rotary), a Regal and the Dyna King. :cool:

Since I'm not a commercial tyer, I see the Nor Vice as a case of overkill for my purposes. But,.... Who knows.... :confused:

Altho, I haven't had a Nor Vice, I do use the "clutched" Nor Vice bobbin. Takes a bit of getting used to but it's the best of the styles I've used by far. :D

Wow. It has been awhile since I heard that name. He gave me my first fly casting lesson and I took his fly tying class in his shop in Montrose, CA back when I was 11. Thanks for bringing back a found memory Darian.
Sorry didn't mean to side track from the topic but couldn't resist. Carry on.

Darian
08-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Happy to oblige.... That kit brought me many happy times trying to figure out how to tie a fly.... :D :D

Fats
08-14-2010, 06:36 PM
My Nor is packed up right now. I never really liked the Automatic bobbins that you needed to use. I kept having issues with cutting the thread. They are wicked fast at what they do, but I'm used to my Renzetti. That is still my everyday vise.