PDA

View Full Version : Hiking and fishing solo in the Sierra

esummers
08-02-2010, 10:02 PM
I would really like to start doing some overnight hiking and fly fishing in the Sierra. I'm a little aprehensive as I will be by myself. I was just wondering what type of safety measures some of you take that hike and fish alone? Is it something I should even be considering being solo? I feel like I'm missing out just driving to my fishing destinations like the Truckee, NF of the Yuba, etc. Those are great places, but I need to start exploring some more remote destinations. Also, to get my feet wet does anyone have any recommendations for an overnight, with good scenery, decent fishing and not much chance of getting lost :=)

Thanks for your help

Jay
08-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Streams only?

huntindog
08-02-2010, 10:57 PM
just remember the common sense stuff..make sure someone knows the general area you will be in and knows when you are supposed to be home, dry socks, a good lightweight sleeping bag, scale down your fishing gear to what you will use (fishing high sierra streams you can usually get by with a couple different flies in one fly box), food, fire and first aid are good to have.

Darian
08-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Actually, if you really want some sound advice, find out how to gear up, plan a trip, etc., read "The Complete Walker" by Colin Fletcher. You don't have to gear up as much as he has but there's sound advice and descriptions of what is necessary to enjoy a good multiple day trip in the wilderness. Even helps for day hikes.

Back when I was backpacking into some wilderness areas (many moons ago), I learned a lot about how to get there and get back alive. I've read this book a dozen times and still enjoy the read.

Fats
08-03-2010, 05:23 AM
I'd pick some nicer weather to start off with... by that I mean, pic some days when it will be pretty temperate for your first expedition. If you get caught short by forgetting something, you may be uncomfortable, but you won't be in a dangerous situation.

I think the solo back packing trip is cool, but I'd start talking to some folks that are into hiking to get started.

troutbm
08-03-2010, 07:10 AM
I'd like to suggest a pretty easy hike with great bueaty. Look into the levitt meadows off hwy 108 just over the sonora pass. You can hike up the west walker river and up to some lakes as well. I think its a good place for a first overnight hike. As for being safe, Just bring alot of common sense. When people get in trouble its almost always due to a series of bad decisions not just one. Don't under estimate the sierra weather. i did this same hike last august and one day it was 40 degrees and hailing like mad. Good luck and be careful out there.

BobVP
08-03-2010, 07:36 AM
All of the above as for safety....Colin Fletcher is a great read, over and over....I want to reiterate about the weather, especially in the Sierras! It can hail in August and rain any time.

The one piece of safety equipment I take and often double and triple check I have it when hiking alone is my snake bite kit.

A few year back Ralph Cutter wrote a great article for California Flyfisher about beginning backpacking for fly fishers. Maybe he still has a copy around?

A place I think of for a good "get your feet wet" hike/fish would be Desolation Wilderness. Anything but desolate, it has well marked trails, lots of beautiful lakes and the hikes don't need to be "forced marches" up steep canyons. You could hike out of Echo Lake area or up to Wrights Lake from the highway.

Another wonderful place to hike out of is Tuolumne Meadows. Again lots of lakes here but also you can hike up the Lyell Fork.

These are not places where you will find days and days without seeing another soul but are good places to start.

Warning: Hiking solo can be addictive!

Ralph
08-03-2010, 08:01 AM
Suggested cherry popper: Start at Meeks Bay, Lake Tahoe and hike all of 4 miles to the lake chain (Genevieve, Crag, Hidden, etc). Many times we've hiked in for dinner and come out under headlamps after fishing till dark. I've even done it with our kids in a back pack - VERY easy trail, nearly impossible to lose. If you are into trail running you can be in and out before lunch (and that includes an hour of fishing). Find a nice lake and park it for a couple of nights. You'll quickly learn what you use, what you don't use and what you wished you'd brought. Take notes on how much food and gear you used. If something goes terribly awry (run out of gin perhaps) you can jog back to the trailhead in about an hour. Bring a topo map - you won't need it but this is a great spot to play with it and learn to align the map to landmarks and get an idea what contour intervals and brush mean in real life. Find a lake on the map and then hike to it. By the end of the trip you'll be ready to do the JMT.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-03-2010, 08:38 AM
That's great info Ralph........

DFrink
08-03-2010, 08:39 AM
I've always been told that snake bite kits can and usually do, do much more harm than good? The Doc in my unit in the Marines told us to NEVER attempt to use one on someone who had been bitten. I guess if it's a last resort...

All of the above as for safety....Colin Fletcher is a great read, over and over....I want to reiterate about the weather, especially in the Sierras! It can hail in August and rain any time.

The one piece of safety equipment I take and often double and triple check I have it when hiking alone is my snake bite kit.

A few year back Ralph Cutter wrote a great article for California Flyfisher about beginning backpacking for fly fishers. Maybe he still has a copy around?

A place I think of for a good "get your feet wet" hike/fish would be Desolation Wilderness. Anything but desolate, it has well marked trails, lots of beautiful lakes and the hikes don't need to be "forced marches" up steep canyons. You could hike out of Echo Lake area or up to Wrights Lake from the highway.

Another wonderful place to hike out of is Tuolumne Meadows. Again lots of lakes here but also you can hike up the Lyell Fork.

These are not places where you will find days and days without seeing another soul but are good places to start.

Warning: Hiking solo can be addictive!

Ralph
08-03-2010, 10:37 AM
You'll find very little support for snake bite kits any more in the medical community. I've used them both on myself and others in the past and anecdotally think they did some good; however, without a control group who can say for sure. Everyone does agree to keep the limb still at heart level, do NOT chill with ice, and to remove any jewelry. A growing trend is to wrap the bitten limb in a crepe or Ace wrap (not so tight as to impair circulation) - It is the recommended first aid in Australia; however our snake venom works in a very different way. We'll see where this treatment ends up.

DFrink
08-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Good information, thanks Ralph.

Scott V
08-03-2010, 11:21 AM
I carry a SPOT transmitter with me when ever I go fishing, be it alone or with someone. All it takes is a twisted ankle in the backwoods and you are going to have a hard time out, or if something worst happens. I am always a buttons push away from simple help or come get me with a helicopter help.

BobVP
08-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Hey Ralph,

Are you implying the snake bites in Australia travel in the opposite direction, like the mythical water down the drain? ;)

All kidding aside, I remember your article form CFF years ago and realize the way we treat/deal with snake bites has changed (A lot since someone in your family marketed the first "Snake Bite Kit" in the little rubber case) but the kit I carry also handles (and has done so successfully several times) bee and wasp stings. One time truly saving the trip. This "kit" is really nothing more than a "reverse hypodermic" that has several different sized ends and it sucks out any poison. Used quickly it can relieve a lot of pain.

Mostly I think I carry this as a way to keep snakes away! Or at least off my mind...I know the day I don't carry it I will get stung or bit.

wjorg
08-03-2010, 12:09 PM
You might bring some thin/strong rope and either a stuffsack or the ursak/ursack(kevlar stuffsack) to hang your food and other bear attractants like sunscreen, toothpaste...

Bears are more confident messing with the solo. But Ive never had a problem.

Maybe try the Emigrant Wilderness as well. Ive had a blast in there...

amoeba
08-03-2010, 01:33 PM
I would really like to start doing some overnight hiking and fly fishing in the Sierra. I'm a little aprehensive as I will be by myself. I was just wondering what type of safety measures some of you take that hike and fish alone? Is it something I should even be considering being solo? I feel like I'm missing out just driving to my fishing destinations like the Truckee, NF of the Yuba, etc. Those are great places, but I need to start exploring some more remote destinations. Also, to get my feet wet does anyone have any recommendations for an overnight, with good scenery, decent fishing and not much chance of getting lost :=)

Thanks for your help

EPMT
Flashlite
backup headlamp
extra batteries for above
compass (don't depend on a GPS unit)
flagging and pen
matches
very basic 1st aid kit - bring benedryl in case of insect sting.

PRECAUTIONS
no weapons or booze
no chumming in animals (bears, squirrels, rats, etc.) with a night-time cooking mess and chucking crap into a fire, eat cold packaged, or freeze-dry that requires only boiling water. Better yet, don't cook at all in your camp.
sleep in a tent.

Sure you can go solo. There's not alot out there close on trail that is truely remote. You will see people daily most places. Hikers, fishermen, prospectors, mainly.

DFrink
08-03-2010, 01:37 PM
What fun is back packing without booze?;)

EPMT
Flashlite
backup headlamp
extra batteries for above
compass (don't depend on a GPS unit)
flagging and pen
matches
very basic 1st aid kit - bring benedryl in case of insect sting.

PRECAUTIONS
no weapons or booze
no chumming in animals (bears, squirrels, rats, etc.) with a night-time cooking mess and chucking crap into a fire, eat cold packaged, or freeze-dry that requires only boiling water. Better yet, don't cook at all in your camp.
sleep in a tent.

Sure you can go solo. There's not alot out there close on trail that is truely remote. You will see people daily most places. Hikers, fishermen, prospectors, mainly.

Scott V
08-03-2010, 01:48 PM
What fun is back packing without booze?;)

Exactly. amoeba what is your reasoning for no booze?

aaron
08-03-2010, 02:42 PM
You'll find very little support for snake bite kits any more in the medical community.

In regards to snake bites we need to break it down into the two types of snakes to worry about in North America.

First and foremost is the Pit Viper, or Rattlesnake as we have in CA. In other parts of the US you might encounter a Copperhead or Water Moccasin. Each type of snake has a variation in venom potency. Venom is evolved from a snake's saliva so it's purpose is to acquire food not deal death on huge levels. A lot of factors also make the potency vary such as the physical health and emotional stability of the patient, where the bite is in regards to vital organs, amount of venom injected, whether or not the victim is allergic etc. For the most part it takes a sever envenomation to produce any symptoms beyond swelling, numbness, blistering and dying tissue near the bite.

There is an exception which is the Mojave Rattlesnake and it's variations which produce a neurotoxic venom. It's around 40 times (can't remember exactly) more potent than your standard rattler. These are rare but do exist in CA and more commonly in AZ. I'll get back to neurotoxins in a sec.

You'll know it's a standard Rattler if the onset of symptoms is somewhat rapid as in within a few hours. Wash the wound and remove rings, watches, and anything tight fitting in case of severe swelling. Stay physically at rest and don't: cut or suck, take painkillers unless absolutely stable and not getting worse, ice or immerse, apply a tourniquet, or consume aforementioned booze! All of these can be harmful in conjunction with the bite. Evacuate if possible, move slowly and rest often. Snake bite suction kits just don't work effective enough as mechanical suction in a hospital and the risk of making the wound worse make them not worth using.

A growing trend is to wrap the bitten limb in a crepe or Ace wrap (not so tight as to impair circulation) - It is the recommended first aid in Australia; however our snake venom works in a very different way. We'll see where this treatment ends up.

Ok back to critters with Neurotoxins. In the states, although you shouldn't find one in CA, we also have Coral snakes. These are the most venomous in the US and like the Mojave rattler inject a neurotoxic venom. Good news is small mouths and stubby fangs make it hard to get bit but if you do you're in for a world of hurt. They often chew to get their fangs in so first line of defense is get him off of you! It takes up to 12 hours for you to realize you want help as the toxin is slow moving so get to help asap before it possibly incapacitates you. Like Ralph mentioned the Aussies have developed a method called Pressure Immobilization. Take your ace bandage or crevat or whatever you are using and wrap around the bite site up the wound and back down then secure it. Wrap with the pressure you would use on a sprained ankle. This is important, you want to stop the venom but not totally kill circulation. This prevents the spread of some venoms and has had very good results in Australia. This method is preferred for coral snakes and I would try it for a Pit Viper in case it carries a neurotoxin which they can but take it off if swelling starts as the toxin has already spread.

Scott V
08-03-2010, 03:38 PM
And don't forget the rhyme that tells you which color of snake is a coral.

Red and black your a lucky jack
Red and yellow your a dead fellow.

I think that is correct, if I am wrong please someone tell me so I do not pick up the wrong snake.

amoeba
08-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Exactly. amoeba what is your reasoning for no booze?

It is a precaution for a solo backpacker:

causes headaches, nausea, especially after long day of hiking/fishing, you might not feel it at the moment, but the next morning can be miserable.
dulls sensory acuity - increases the chances for a mis-step/fall.

BTW - I forgot another precaution - no campfires (often prohibited anyways).

Alot of people might disagree with that one as well, but the danger (and to lessor extent, visual effect on the environment), are obvious. I just don't do it.

WhipperSnapper
08-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Why no weapons?

aaron
08-03-2010, 05:38 PM

I think that is correct, if I am wrong please someone tell me so I do not pick up the wrong snake.

this is correct

Ralph
08-03-2010, 05:59 PM
EPMT

PRECAUTIONS:
no booze
sleep in a tent.

I ALWAYS bring adult beverages and make certain not to carry any extra weight back out. One of the great back country pleasures (for me) is to sleep under the stars. I'll often carry some kind of shelter, mostly for mosquitoes, but VERY RARELY even take it out of the pack. To each his own.

troutbm
08-03-2010, 06:39 PM

We don't have coral snakes in california so it dosen't matter.

Ed Wahl
08-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Okay esummers, here's some of my real life safety tips for soloing in the Sierras.

Don't fall off of any cliffs.

Don't bang your head on the rocks.

Don't cut yourself with your knife.

Don't tug on Superman's cape.

Don't spit in the wind.

Don't pull the mask off the Lone Ranger.

And don't mess around with Jim.:D

I think you have about all you need now.

Your welcome.

Ed

esummers
08-03-2010, 08:31 PM
You guys have been awesome. Thanks for all the advice, humor, wisecracks!, snakebite rules of engagement, book recommendations etc. etc. etc.

I haven't made the decision on my first overnight, but I'm thinking about some of the feeder streams to the the NF of the Yuba up in the Downieville\Sierra City\Gold Lakes area. Also, what about the upper Truckee for an overnight - I believe they're some cutthroats up there?

Also, thanks for the book recommendations. I have Fly Fishing the Tahoe Region by Stephen Rider Haggard. It seems to be a very through critique of the area. I need to score some of those hiking specific books mentioned earlier in this thread.

Anyway, thanks again gentlemen. Can't wait to get out there!

Eric

esummers
08-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Oh yeah, thanks Ralph for the Meeks Bay recommendation. That sounds like really solid advice and sounds like a perfect place to pop my cherry. I like the idea of being able to get out any problems that might arise in short order (at least for my fisrt trip). Just setting up on a lake for a couple of days fits the bill.

Dumb question (but that won't stop me): Will dry flies be sufficient on those lakes or will I need to nymph or add a sinking line? Any streams in that neck of the woods?

Thanks

Ralph
08-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Dry flies will work, but your options will certainly be limited. I'd bring some nymphs and streamers for sure. There is a creek that connects the lakes and it can be very good. I'm not normally one to name destinations, but these waters are very popular and no beans are being spilled. You WILL have company. That said, 95% of the anglers are soaking Power Bait on 12 lb test and a half decent fly guy will fish circles around them.

A caution: I am currently writing a book about industrial pot grows (multi-thousand plant operations) on public lands. In the process have been doing ride alongs on overflights and personally I would suggest keeping your radar in high gear if you are hiking very far into the feeder creeks of the Yuba. This is an extremely active area. Keep your nose to the ground and don't stray far from the creeks themselves and you'll be fine. The growers are experts at minding their own business - just don't make their business more difficult by following plastic pipes or wandering far from the creeks.

BobVP
08-03-2010, 11:48 PM
esum...sent you a pm.

DFrink
08-04-2010, 07:49 AM
Camping without a fire? No way, I find that it enhances the visual effect on the environment (especially after a few sips off the flask:p). On a serious note the one time I don't bring booze is when it's very cold out. It can make you feel warmer than you really are, thins your blood and and can lead to hypothermia or dehydration. But that's just me. By the way, I like to bring weapons also.=D>

It is a precaution for a solo backpacker:

causes headaches, nausea, especially after long day of hiking/fishing, you might not feel it at the moment, but the next morning can be miserable.
dulls sensory acuity - increases the chances for a mis-step/fall.

BTW - I forgot another precaution - no campfires (often prohibited anyways).

Alot of people might disagree with that one as well, but the danger (and to lessor extent, visual effect on the environment), are obvious. I just don't do it.

amoeba
08-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Camping without a fire? No way, I find that it enhances the visual effect on the environment (especially after a few sips off the flask:p). On a serious note the one time I don't bring booze is when it's very cold out. It can make you feel warmer than you really are, thins your blood and and can lead to hypothermia or dehydration. But that's just me. By the way, I like to bring weapons also.=D>

partially correct on the additional effect of booze, but that would apply any time, not just when it's "very cold". incorrect about everything else; especially campfires - which, as I indicated earlier, are seasonally prohibited based on conditions (like now). So is using bait in many streams.

OP asked about safety when camping alone. Not making an open fire, and avoiding booze are such safety precautions.

huntindog
08-04-2010, 12:26 PM
no weapons, no booze and no fire...WTF...I always have my nice little glock with me...i certainly feel free to have a drink...I am a big boy I can handle it, and if i have a campfire permit...i enjoy sitting by the fire.

DFrink
08-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Pretty hard to get hypothermia when it's 90 out:D While I feel perfectly safe under any of the conditions I mentioned, you're right... a lot of people should probably avoid these things. But then again a lot of people shouldn't be camping by themselves either. For that matter a lot of people shouldn't even be walking around water by themselves. I'm just having fun with you anyways so don't let me ruffle your feathers. Sorry for taking the post off track.

partially correct on the additional effect of booze, but that would apply any time, not just when it's "very cold". incorrect about everything else; especially campfires - which, as I indicated earlier, are seasonally prohibited based on conditions (like now). So is using bait in many streams.

OP asked about safety when camping alone. Not making an open fire, and avoiding booze are such safety precautions.

DFrink
08-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Regarding the campfire permit, something I just learned this year is that if you go to the Sequoia National Forest website address (below) you can take a very simple test (same one you take at the ranger station) and get a permit online. Very cool if you’re like me and don’t live near a ranger station.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/passespermits/campfire_permit/campfire-index.html

no weapons, no booze and no fire...WTF...I always have my nice little glock with me...i certainly feel free to have a drink...I am a big boy I can handle it, and if i have a campfire permit...i enjoy sitting by the fire.

troutbm
08-04-2010, 03:12 PM
As for the adult beverages, You stick several beers into your buddys pack when he isn't looking. Then when you get to your destination ask him if he wants a beer. He'll likely say " You packed beers up here" Then you answer "No but you did" It works everytime. Test to get a campfire permit ? I've never had to take a test in the past. Is that new this year ? Or is that just certain national forests ? Some national forest do not allow campfires this time of year in undeveloped camping sites. Toiyabe I beleive is like that right now.

WhipperSnapper
08-04-2010, 03:23 PM
No booze, no guns, no fire... NO FUN! Anybody that can't handle any of these shouldn't be camping in the first place.

DFrink
08-04-2010, 03:51 PM
For Tahoe National Forest the "test" is really just the ranger asking you a couple of questions (the answers are on the permit). Basic stuff like, do you need to have a shovel if you have a fire? You are correct about the no fire during certain times of year. I don't know of anyplace that you can have a fire in an unimproved campground around where I like to camp right now?

As for the adult beverages, You stick several beers into your buddys pack when he isn't looking. Then when you get to your destination ask him if he wants a beer. He'll likely say " You packed beers up here" Then you answer "No but you did" It works everytime. Test to get a campfire permit ? I've never had to take a test in the past. Is that new this year ? Or is that just certain national forests ? Some national forest do not allow campfires this time of year in undeveloped camping sites. Toiyabe I beleive is like that right now.

Woodman
08-04-2010, 04:16 PM
One of my favorite spots (a little far afield from Sacramento) is the 20 lakes basin. It's just north of Saddlebag lake off Tioga Pass Road. You can take a motorboat shuttle across Saddlebag, and when you step off the dock you're in the wilderness area...

Dave Neal
08-04-2010, 05:35 PM
To Woodman... any place in CA worth a visit is not THAT far from Sacramento!

As far as the the other stuff... Huntindog summed it up pretty well.

Camping is something everyone should experience as much as possible.

bigfly
08-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Ya Dave! If you ever begin to wonder, just what is real in life? Take a hike.
Solo even. Don't see anyone for 24 hrs. or more..... You will be up to your hips in real.
Maybe do some fishing while you"re out there as well. Backcountry lakes are often overpopulated, and Trout can be poached
(cooked) in a freezer weight baggie, submerged in a pot 'o water. No fry pan, no open fire, no clean up. Just add a bit of oil and the spice of the night.
Leave the watch and phone at home, this is "your time".
Most likely, the world will still be around when you hike out.
But that's something to worry about later.

Jim