PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a del canty lunker hunter float tube

Scott V
08-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Does anyone have one of these they would be willing to part with. I am looking for a super lightweight float tube for my back country trips which I seem to be doing alot more often.

Thanks for any help.

michaeln
08-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Does anyone have one of these they would be willing to part with. I am looking for a super lightweight float tube for my back country trips which I seem to be doing alot more often.

Thanks for any help.

If you can't find that one, have you considered the Outcast Trinity? Urethane bladder, 300lb capacity, five chambers, only weighs six pounds.

Scott V
08-02-2010, 10:07 AM
The Trinity's are too expensive. I am looking for light and low priced.

SHigSpeed
08-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Sorry I planted the seed. ;). If you don't find one maybe I could make a carbon one?

_SHig

SHigSpeed
08-02-2010, 01:04 PM
ODC420 lightweight ain't bad, especially for the price!

http://creekcompany.com/product.php?productid=16151&cat=249&page=1

_SHig

Scott V
08-02-2010, 01:22 PM
ODC420 lightweight ain't bad, especially for the price!

http://creekcompany.com/product.php?productid=16151&cat=249&page=1

_SHig

You must think I am rich or something. I am trying to find something for less than about 60 or 70 bucks. Or maybe trade for a piranha fish finder new in the box.

SHigSpeed
08-02-2010, 01:32 PM
You must think I am rich or something. I am trying to find something for less than about 60 or 70 bucks. Or maybe trade for a piranha fish finder new in the box.

$180 for tube, pump, fins? Sell the 'toon!

_SHig

Scott V
08-02-2010, 01:34 PM
I have a pump and fins, plus my Fishcat is way nicer than that thing. Get out of my posts Shig or I am going to sink you when we fish this weekend. :evil:

SHigSpeed
08-02-2010, 01:54 PM
I have a pump and fins, plus my Fishcat is way nicer than that thing. Get out of my posts Shig or I am going to sink you when we fish this weekend. :evil:

Nicer? Debatable... ODCs are pretty good boats. And it's 8 lbs vs 14 for the Outcast. Still a bit heavy for a trek-in tube.

Good luck casting far enough while you twiddle around on shore! :)

BTW, I may have something for you to bob around in if you don't find a LH.

_SHig

Jay
08-02-2010, 03:56 PM
I will give $10 more than Scott if anyone has one :D :D :D

Just kiddin. Seriously, if more than one pops up, let me know, been lookin for a couple years.

Ed Wahl
08-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Scott, buddy, you've already got the tube you need. Now it's just a case of how to get it and your gear, that's where the weight is, into the backcountry.

I've used this old dog many times for my old round truck tube float. You can't find one heavier than that was.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/edfish333/Tube%20Carrier/floattubecarrier001.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/edfish333/Tube%20Carrier/floattubecarrier002.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/edfish333/Tube%20Carrier/floattubecarrier003.jpg

Once you get your tube attached and the belts and straps cinched down you can walk for days with what amounts to a very light backpack.

I'm sure Shig can break out the pvc and construct a carrier that will fit your Fishcat.

He's probably already started drawing.

Carbon?

Ed

Scott V
08-02-2010, 04:58 PM
My tube has back pack straps built in I was just looking for something a little lighter so I can go further. But I might have to look at putting my tube on my backpack to I can carry other essentials like rum!!!!:D

SHigSpeed
08-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Once you get your tube attached and the belts and straps cinched down you can walk for days with what amounts to a very light backpack.

I'm sure Shig can break out the pvc and construct a carrier that will fit your Fishcat.

Carbon?

Ed

Well, I've been thinking about the Fish Cat and hiking... What you can do is if you get the inflatable seats, the volume in the tube that's now solid foam becomes a pouch. Just pack your goods in those pockets and fold the pontoons around these and secure with a strap or bungies and use the sewn in pack rings for straps. Heck, it may even work better if the outer bladders are inflated - acts as a pack frame of sorts. Just not good for bushwhacking or on windy days.

Just an idea...

_SHig

michaeln
08-02-2010, 05:54 PM

Problem is, he's unlikely to ever stop.

Ed Wahl
08-02-2010, 06:02 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

SHigSpeed
08-02-2010, 06:45 PM

I'm like a shark baby. If I stop I die!!

_SHig

Pogybait
03-23-2013, 02:13 PM
If you can't find that one, have you considered the Outcast Trinity? Urethane bladder, 300lb capacity, five chambers, only weighs six pounds.

The problem with Del Canty Lunker Hunter tubes is, they are no longer made so it's difficult to determine what the price would be. I have three Lunkers but don't want to part with them until I have a better idea of prices.

Baja Fly Fisher
03-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Scott,

your about 1 year too late... Del Canty Lunker Hunter, the bright orange tube.... I gave the one I had away to a youngster last year,
I had it sitting around for years and I mean years. I didn't think it would be in condition to blow up but low and behold, it held air
It packed down to the size of a mac and cheese box and was the lightest thing on the market. They were out only one year and that's when Caddis, and all the other companies started making "doughnuts"
I'll see if the kid is using it

Jay

jbird
03-23-2013, 03:33 PM
Hey Jay, Scott posted this thread almost 3 years ago. LOL

Baja Fly Fisher
03-23-2013, 08:37 PM
Must be my old age or glasses. I never read dates or times. That comes with retirement :-)

JAY

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-23-2013, 11:11 PM
We sold the Del Canty "Lunker Hunter" float tube, maybe 25 years ago?

It was super light round float tube? I don't think it went over that well though.

It had a piece of the light weight material like a bucket that you used to catch air then squeeze the air into the tube if I remember right?

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/1395/lunkerhunter3na3.jpg

http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/tubes-toons-rafts-yaks/29236-float-tube-backpacking.html

PS: Galen Geller said I used too many question marks???

Was he right???

SHigSpeed
03-25-2013, 08:56 AM
I think the "they were only available for one year" might not be correct. It was super-light (still is - nothing comes close even today except for a few packrafts), around three pounds for the tube, another half pound or so for the inflator bag. Mine was made in 1986 but I think they started making them in the early '80s.

I'm not sure if I'd ever sell mine for sentimental/collectors reasons, but I am pretty close to finalizing the design of my sub two-pound u-boat - including the inflator bag! Check my thread for updates - hope to have prototype 2 done this week.

_SHig

SHigSpeed
03-25-2013, 09:02 AM
Hey Jay, Scott posted this thread almost 3 years ago. LOL

Thing is, Scott still doesn't have anything under 6 lbs to haul up the hill! He COULD drag his new kayak up the PCT, but that wouldn't be any fun...

_SHig

Scott V
03-25-2013, 10:47 AM
I have the U-boat, but that weights about 7 pounds I believe. Looking for a nice 2 pound tube, now that would be super sweet.