PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Lake

walthers
08-01-2010, 01:57 PM
I was searching the board trying to see if anyone has fished Eagle Lake recently because I will be up there with my dad and nephew next week. They are bait fisherman that will be fishing from a boat. I am a flyfisherman that will be using a float tube outside of Spaulding where we will be staying. Although I have a lot of lake fishing experience from a tube I have never attmepted to fish Eagle Lake from a tube. This is where my questions come in.

I will be using a six weight rod and will have both floating and intermidiate sinking lines. I am not sure how productive dries will be (not sure about any hatch that comes off on a regualr basis) and love to strip streamers. If anyone has been up there and has a feel for what would be the best way to attack the shallower water in the Spaulding area I am open and more than happy to listen to any tips or advice. Although it probably goes without saying I fish catch and release so I will be releasing all landed fish.

Thanks in advance for any input from all the anglers on this board.

Mike

thepeacockspecial
08-01-2010, 02:08 PM
go with leeches @ eagle lake. You can also strip midges, btu i prefer leech patterns.

Troutstalker55B
08-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Mike,

This is the worse time to fish Eagle but there will be a few trout to be had. I have hundrds of days fishing up there and here are my thoughts for your upcoming trip. You must be on the water at first light no matter what your location is. Flies: Scuds in brown and olive #12 or #14, wiggle tails in brown and olive, and chui chub minnows (#6 3xl, white body, olive top). 10-12foot leaders to 4x, go to 2X when stripping the minnow. Fish the airport tulles area from your tube. I would get a boat ride to shrimp island as there are cold springs there from the Brockman Lava field's ice shelf. Eagle Lake is my favorite stillwater! Enjoy yourself and best of luck.

Jon.

1flyfisher
08-01-2010, 08:17 PM
I would recommend fast sinking lines at least type 2 or faster, I would fish deeper water and only try shallow water floating line 1 hour before sunrise legal fishing hours till maybe an hour or two after at best. Then I would go deep scratching the bottom with no hackle chenille bead heads size 10-12#. There isn't really any dry fly game on eagle although I have caught a few over many years of fishing it.

Fish 10-12 feet plus right now stripping anything. Bug doesn't matter so much they will eat it if you get it in front of them at their depth. With a type 2 line and a heavily weighted beadhead brown leech or chenille bug you can scrape the ledges 8 feet +. If that doesn't work try a type 4 line heavily weighted bug and scrape deeper. You need to get down right now,

1flyfisher
08-01-2010, 08:27 PM
I wouldn't fish shoreline out of spaulding in a tube right now. It is too hot too shallow. Go to the south end christie/wildcat and troll in your tube with a fast sinking line. use your power boat to find deeper better water.

Clark
08-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Ha, ha, ha! You guys don't know Walthers like I do. I am sure he dropped into the fetal position and started sobbing after reading the following sentence.

" You must be on the water at first light no matter what your location is."

You might as well not even go bro.

Clark

walthers
08-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Besides Clark's smarta$$ comment, this is all great information. Thank you all very much for your input, I really do appreciate it.

As for you Clark, you can consider that Fish Cat as good as gone.

Thanks again everyone.

Terry Imai
08-02-2010, 10:49 AM
You may want to take a thermometer with you to fish most stillwaters esp. lakes that have springs in them like Eagle. Don't measure the top levels but take your bottom measurements to find the various springs on Eagle. Try to get some landmarks and cast over those spots.

Good luck