PDA

View Full Version : East Carson/n. Fork Feather report

Dagee
07-31-2010, 11:17 PM
The East Carson was slow for me Fri. I hooked about 8 fish from 9 - 12:30. All 8 were hatchery fish and I was at least 3 miles below Hangmans Bridge. This is the third trip with very few wild trout below the bridge. Has any one else noticed a decline in wild fish on the EC?

Of the eight fish, 3 were over 18", with one going about 6 pounds. That fish broke me off after two impressive jumps.

The Feather was also a bit slow, although we hooked some big fish early. I lost count of the fish we hooked because I could not seem to land anything. I broke off five of the first six I hooked. My buddy finally landed a fat 17" 'bow.

I was concerned that I caught more sqawfish than trout. It seems that everytime they do the pulse flows it throws of the system off. I have never caught more than a few sqaws per trip but this time we must have caught 15 sqaws and only 10 trout. Any thoughts?

EricO
08-01-2010, 12:08 AM
Ya, that is normal for mid-summer. Whenever I've fished the NF this time
of year it's always way more squawfish than trout. That's why I usually only
fish the NF in spring and fall. Pretty damn disappointing to set up on a fish
and realize it's a squaw.

But those trout rule.

EO

SHigSpeed
08-01-2010, 07:14 AM
Wow, I'd take that slow day any day! Thanks for the report.

_SHig

thekid
08-01-2010, 08:15 AM
breaking off five of six fish sounds like a real problem. Better check those knots 1 more time. Those feather rainbows are strong. The boulders are hard on your leader, but come on man??

the kid

Red Perception
08-01-2010, 08:30 AM
The East Carson was slow for me....

Of the eight fish, 3 were over 18", with one going about 6 pounds.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't fish the EC anymore if you only got 8 fish in 3.5 hours and only 3 were over 18":D:D:D:D:D Thanks for the report and good luck, Eric:)

Troutstalker55B
08-01-2010, 08:44 AM
Hey Kid,

I can hear your dad's voice echo off the canyon walls "Boys....Check those knots!"

Jon.

Dagee
08-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Kid, Three of the break-offs were all my fault. I was trying to prevent them from getting into fast water below me. At 41 y.o. i'm too old lazy to chase fish these days. I ended up pointing the rod at the fish and it was all over. But they were some big heavy fish, one got into my backing in a heartbeat.

As to the slow day on the Carson, I hooked 8 but i only brought 5 to net. Plus all the fish came in a short time period within two or three runs. I got blanked for over a mile of river. The fishing was not what i'm used to on the EC.

The day was cut short because I had to quit and seek medical attention. My blood presure was up and my pulse spike to 130+. Thank you to the guys at Meeks Bay fire station for checking me out!! No sleep, new meds, not enough water and the altitude = prefect storm for a bad day.

EricO
08-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Kid, Three of the break-offs were all my fault. I was trying to prevent them from getting into fast water below me. At 41 y.o. i'm too old lazy to chase fish these days. I ended up pointing the rod at the fish and it was all over. But they were some big heavy fish, one got into my backing in a heartbeat.

As to the slow day on the Carson, I hooked 8 but i only brought 5 to net. Plus all the fish came in a short time period within two or three runs. I got blanked for over a mile of river. The fishing was not what i'm used to on the EC.

The day was cut short because I had to quit and seek medical attention. My blood presure was up and my pulse spike to 130+. Thank you to the guys at Meeks Bay fire station for checking me out!! No sleep, new meds, not enough water and the altitude = prefect storm for a bad day.

Glad your ok man. I had altitude sickness some years ago...brutal headache. Just
didn't hydrate enough.

Nice pics. Beastly

EO