PDA

View Full Version : Sage 330gr Bass line

Steve R
07-29-2010, 09:21 AM
I have just noticed that the line is showing cracks between 25' and 40' from the tip, probably where guides meet the line for most casts. The line is about 4 yrs old, ~200 hrs, with FW and SW use. Anyone else having this problem, or is this normal line life?
Steve

Spicytuna1
07-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Do you use a stripping basket when you fish the line? I have found that in certain boats that might a rough or snaggy bottom can do some damage the line when you strip it in on the ground. That is the only idea I can come up with, I am on my second Rio Outbound Dry line in two years. Either the line just has a weak section or you might want to look at whats underneath you when you are stripping.

Spicytuna

Scott V
07-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Probably bite marks from the piranha.

Steve R
07-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Wasabi-using a stripping basket most of the time.
Scotty-will try a new one(got it today) in Nov. as a control for the study.
It's actually my wife's rod/line, although I have borrowed it on occasion.
Steve

Jay Murakoshi
07-31-2010, 07:02 AM
NO cracks in my Sage line and I even got it wrapped in the trolling motor prop. Maybe it will get some cracks in October when I hook into that 75lb tuna, damn what a thought. I'm tying enough tuna tux flies to last 10 years, never want to run out of flies in Baja

Jay

Steve R
08-02-2010, 09:44 AM
It must be my poor casting/retrieving style then. If it was due to big fish the whole line would be the the same, not just 15'. Be sure to tie some mini tux in case the bait is as small as it was last year. Good luck on the 'Big One'.
Steve