PDA

View Full Version : Fuller Cooling?

michaeln
07-28-2010, 02:04 PM
I read on another board that the inflow to Fuller from Bowman Lake has been turned back on and that the water temp at Fuller is back down in the 50s. Not sure I believe it, but that's what the post said.

Also, they apparently PAVED the road that goes to the launch ramp at the north end of the lake.

markem8
07-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Yep, the flows are coming in and it has cooled down. I was there yesterday and Saturday and have the cold feet to prove it. Someone with a therm yesterday said that it was 54 at the north end of the lake.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-28-2010, 04:21 PM
Late some summers when the flow basically stops flowing into Fuller I hear the fishing is dead.

This year we have more water......

Bryan Morgan
07-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Late Summer and into Fall is a great time to fish the lake. PG&E is done with there canal work. Go deep around the structure at the far side of the lake

TMS
07-30-2010, 10:16 AM
michaelin, I was at Fuller about a week ago and they were nearing the finish line on the road. Fishing was OK. Late afternoon on the right side by the dam brought some nice brown trout. Black ant, gnat and Sponge Bob Caddis patterns worked best.

Later...

Scott V
07-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Sponge Bob Caddis patterns worked best.

Can you post a pic of this one please. I love flies with different names.

michaeln
07-30-2010, 11:56 AM
This, perhaps?

http://www.members.cox.net/socbob/FEHC1.jpg

TMS
07-31-2010, 11:55 AM
That's "Bob!"

michaeln
07-31-2010, 11:58 AM
Yes, it took several seconds slaving over a hot Google to find that picture.

michaeln
08-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Fished Fuller yesterday from about 5:30AM to 5PM. Water was about 50 degrees near the launch at the dam end when I put in, up to about 58 by late afternoon. Absolutely amazing difference compared to when I was there 2-3 weeks ago and it was 74 late in the afternoon.

Water was so cold that I came in around 11:30AM because I was convinced my waders must be leaking, my feet were so cold. But I sat down and took them off, my socks were dry. Turned the waders inside out, dry as a bone. I think maybe my boots were too tight and the fins were pretty tight and maybe it was just a circulation issue.

SHigSpeed
08-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Fished Fuller yesterday from about 5:30AM to 5PM. Water was about 50 degrees near the launch at the dam end when I put in, up to about 58 by late afternoon. Absolutely amazing difference compared to when I was there 2-3 weeks ago and it was 74 late in the afternoon.

Water was so cold that I came in around 11:30AM because I was convinced my waders must be leaking, my feet were so cold. But I sat down and took them off, my socks were dry. Turned the waders inside out, dry as a bone. I think maybe my boots were too tight and the fins were pretty tight and maybe it was just a circulation issue.

Fishing must've been good if you stayed all day!

_SHig

jrief
08-05-2010, 09:04 PM
The inlet from Bowman is wide open, plenty of current and although I didn't have a thermometer it felt like low fifties. Got on the water at 7:30 a.m. and the lake was like glass. Lot of fish feeding on small midges, but hard to get close to them. Ended up getting a few on the far side where the lake opens up on top with adams. Later in the day tried int line with green hula buggers, sheeps creek, wiggle tails, and only got a few bumps. Fairly slow day for everyone I talked to. By the time I got out I had frozen into the sitting position. If you go up bring an extra layer.

michaeln
08-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Fishing must've been good if you stayed all day!

_SHig

Fishing was slow. 9 fish, 8-16", all browns.

SHigSpeed
08-06-2010, 07:47 AM
Fishing was slow. 9 fish, 8-16", all browns.

Hmm... Still a nice day I guess. 16" brown out of there ain't bad.

_SHig

michaeln
08-06-2010, 09:07 AM
16" brown out of there ain't bad.

The larger one was an anomaly. All the rest were in the 8-10" range. They seem to be particularly wimpy fighters, no jumps (but then I guess I never see much in the way of jumps from browns), and I didn't need to use the net on any of them but the 16. I think a 2 or 3 weight outfit would be perfect for that place, but I was using a 5.

It was a pleasant day in a very pretty place. Air temp was probably in the 70s by mid-day, and I had just enough wee tugs to keep me interested.

Scott V
08-06-2010, 11:38 AM
michaeln, if you are going to keep driving from the bay for trout fishing you should start hitting the lakes along hwy 88 like Silver, Caples, and Red. You will get a much better quality of fish.

michaeln
08-06-2010, 11:47 AM
michaeln, if you are going to keep driving from the bay for trout fishing you should start hitting the lakes along hwy 88 like Silver, Caples, and Red. You will get a much better quality of fish.

Yes, I have been meaning to try those, thanks for the nudge, I probably will.

Scott V
08-06-2010, 12:33 PM
I would fish Red Lake first out of the three, it is the furthest but I have had my best luck there.

SHigSpeed
08-06-2010, 12:38 PM
I would fish Red Lake first out of the three, it is the furthest but I have had my best luck there.

I just read a report that the lake is now soupy green so maybe not until fall? OTOH, lots of big chunk planter mutants coming out of Caples...

_SHig

Ed Wahl
08-06-2010, 05:48 PM
I drove by Red Lake on Sunday. Green as pea soup. Wait for the cooler weather.

Ed

El Rey
08-06-2010, 07:21 PM
I've not yet seen mention of Woods Lake, just above Caples. Fishing is not that great, mostly 8" to 10" planters. But they eagerly take terrestrials this time of year when it gets windy. And you can't beat the scenery.

Lots of picnicers and kids splashing in the shallows, but it's easy to get away from the crowds. Try the creek inlets. $5/day usage fee. No motors on float craft.

Hope I haven't given away someone's secret place. But I've seen very few fly fishers there--mostly spin and bait guys who get really pissed when they see me catch fish on the surface. Occasionally I even have an appreciative audience.

It's a fun place. Nice alternative to the big lakes up 88.

michaeln
08-06-2010, 07:36 PM
This has been a crazy year. Ice ice ice ice, 10 minutes of spring, raging hot summer, water too warm now wait for fall. Good year to have a short drive to the fishing so if it's on you can get there. Bad year to have to drive five hours and take what you get.

michaeln
08-07-2010, 07:38 AM
I'm reading that the fishing along 88 is sucking this year. Tons of people, not much stocking and what is stocked is lots of small fish.

I think I'll pass on that area, beautiful as it is. I think I am done until it cools down at Baum and then I will be back there. It's about my favorite place to fish for trout.

michaeln
08-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Forgot to mention that while I was fishing at Fuller, around mid-day I heard this big splash behind me, sounded like someone dropped a watermelon into the lake.

I turned around and about 20 feet behind me I saw a big brown raptor's ass and talons holding a trout maybe 10" long. He took off and I never did see the front or side of him so I don't know if it was an osprey or an eagle. It was pretty big though, estimate 4 foot or more wingspan.

I was surprised the bird hit the water so close to me, but they probably aren't that concerned about people and that's where he/she spotted a fish close to the surface and declared it to be LUNCH!

SHigSpeed
08-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Forgot to mention that while I was fishing at Fuller, around mid-day I heard this big splash behind me, sounded like someone dropped a watermelon into the lake.

I turned around and about 20 feet behind me I saw a big brown raptor's ass and talons holding a trout maybe 10" long. He took off and I never did see the front or side of him so I don't know if it was an osprey or an eagle. It was pretty big though, estimate 4 foot or more wingspan.

I was surprised the bird hit the water so close to me, but they probably aren't that concerned about people and that's where he/she spotted a fish close to the surface and declared it to be LUNCH!

If the bird dead stops in the water, then flies away, it's most likey an osprey. Baldies generally grab and go on the wing. Watch the osprey for a few wingbeats after coming out of the water - it will gain a bit of speed and altitude, stop flapping, and do a dog shake to dry itself. It'll glow in the right light as the droplets fly. Amazing...

Here are a couple of photos from Fuller that I lucked into:

Baldies -
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t177/shigspeed/Fishing/Lakes/Fuller/P1040906-1.jpg

Osprey -
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t177/shigspeed/Fishing/Lakes/Fuller/P1040917.jpg

_SHig

michaeln
08-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Thanks for those, Scott. I think it was an Osprey.

I remember when I was fishing on the Kenai in Alaska I saw a big Bald Eagle swoop down from his perch on a 200' tall snag next to the river, and he picked up a Chinook that must have been 30 lbs... never even slowed down, although you could see him kind of struggling with the weight.

Blueracer
08-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Sweet shots!