PDA

View Full Version : Wrights Lake

DFrink
07-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Is on the plant list for this week. I was planning on doing some stream fishing in two weeks, but just negotiated my first float tube and may have to hit up Wrights. Since I'm pretty limited to stillwater fishing (fuller from my kayak is it) any suggestions on what fly's and or retrieve styles to use at this lake?

SHigSpeed
07-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Is on the plant list for this week. I was planning on doing some stream fishing in two weeks, but just negotiated my first float tube and may have to hit up Wrights. Since I'm pretty limited to stillwater fishing (fuller from my kayak is it) any suggestions on what fly's and or retrieve styles to use at this lake?

That lake's a hoot on plant week! Flies? Mostly olive/black/brown buggers and wiggle tails, but I've had days where those don't work and you have to switch up to soft hackles (part/orange, hare's ears). Sometimes dries with midge patterns and Adams' but I fish mostly sunk. Generally an I-line will get you deep enough (and the lake is never more than 10 feet deep or so for the most part) but a type II/III couldn't hurt to strip deep and fast.

_SHig

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-26-2010, 08:32 PM
We use to snorkel Wrights Lake and there were lots of fish at both ends of the lake.

Reno Flytyer
07-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Just follow the truck out...those pea brains will hit anything out of the chute.
RFT

SHigSpeed
07-26-2010, 09:57 PM
Just follow the truck out...those pea brains will hit anything out of the chute.
RFT

Not always. Used to think so but there have been occasions that the 'ol standby buggers didn't work. It took a SLOW presentation with the right small swimmy thing to get them to bite. Might've been the water temp, but even peabrains have some switches. ;)

_SHig

DFrink
08-09-2010, 06:53 AM
I hit up Wrights on Saturday morning, ScottV met me up there. The fishing started out pretty slow, then we found where the planters were feeding. I landed 4, the biggest was 14", the other's were 10". Scott must have had at least 12 to hand with many more misses. There are some BIG browns in this lake, but couldn't get them to bite. At about noon we headed over to Dark Lake. We were fishing different sides of the lake when I hear Scott yell, "Dan get over hear". I kick over to him where he said he saw some trout rising. I got another little 10"er to hand and then got lucky and hooked into a 17" rainbow. Very pretty fish. A great day of fishing. Scott thanks for meeting me up there and puting me on some trout. I am new to still water fishing (with a fly rod) and Scott probably help speed up the learning curve by a few trips.

http://a.imageshack.us/img294/1851/darklake10080717bow.th.jpg (http://img294.imageshack.us/i/darklake10080717bow.jpg/)

http://a.imageshack.us/img199/5789/wrightslake100807.th.jpg (http://img199.imageshack.us/i/wrightslake100807.jpg/)

Scott V
08-10-2010, 08:01 AM
Being my first trip to Wright's I was not sure what to expect, I have heard that it is the usual planter rainbows so I figured we were bound to get into a couple fish. I started to worry when we kicked across the lake and noticed that most of the lake was knee deep if not shallower. I decided to head to the incoming water since that is usually my best bet on an unknown piece of water. Once we got to the back I still had yet to see a fish, but we started talking to a local that lived on the lake and he told us what to do and where to fish. Within a matter of minutes we were into the fish, descent size planters, but what surprised me were the size of the browns hanging out under my float tube. You all know this kind of fish, big and won't bite anything you present to them but they sure were neat to see. I would guess the biggest I saw was over 24 inches. After playing there we decided to hit Dark since it was right next to Wrights. Did the same thing headed for the inlet but decided to fish the rocky bank, another good place to start. I was watching fish slurp the surface so I called over Dan. As he was coming over I got a nice head shaker on the line but it came off. I missed a couple of other fish as well, but I was real excited to see Dan catch that nice 17 incher and I believe it was even on my Frog Snot fly. I think Dan may be hooked on still water after this last weekend. I hope to see you out there when you can Dan it was great fishing with you. I'll post pics later.

DFrink
08-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Frog snot rules! I am definitely hooked on the stillwater game. I had a great time and can't wait to get on the water again. (I need to work on that casting stroke first!)

Dan

Being my first trip to Wright's I was not sure what to expect, I have heard that it is the usual planter rainbows so I figured we were bound to get into a couple fish. I started to worry when we kicked across the lake and noticed that most of the lake was knee deep if not shallower. I decided to head to the incoming water since that is usually my best bet on an unknown piece of water. Once we got to the back I still had yet to see a fish, but we started talking to a local that lived on the lake and he told us what to do and where to fish. Within a matter of minutes we were into the fish, descent size planters, but what surprised me were the size of the browns hanging out under my float tube. You all know this kind of fish, big and won't bite anything you present to them but they sure were neat to see. I would guess the biggest I saw was over 24 inches. After playing there we decided to hit Dark since it was right next to Wrights. Did the same thing headed for the inlet but decided to fish the rocky bank, another good place to start. I was watching fish slurp the surface so I called over Dan. As he was coming over I got a nice head shaker on the line but it came off. I missed a couple of other fish as well, but I was real excited to see Dan catch that nice 17 incher and I believe it was even on my Frog Snot fly. I think Dan may be hooked on still water after this last weekend. I hope to see you out there when you can Dan it was great fishing with you. I'll post pics later.

michaeln
08-10-2010, 08:36 AM
(I need to work on that casting stroke first!)

You ain't the only one!

DFrink
08-10-2010, 09:48 AM
I'm so used to fishing streams that I never really put much line out. Add that with sitting down and trying to cast and I found that there is a little room for improvement. That's okay, gives me something to do with my son at the park on Friday's. Scott even recommended a lesson, I may look into that.;)

You ain't the only one!

michaeln
08-10-2010, 09:56 AM
I found it helpful to practice some casting while sitting or kneeling. It helps you remember to keep your back cast high, and it needs to be if you are fishing while seated in a float tube or in a low 'toon like mine.

Scott V
08-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Jeff Putnam is the one who helped me with one of his couple hour group classes. It was worth every cent I payed, and it wasn't expensive.