PDA

View Full Version : Baum Lake?

michaeln
07-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Anyone been to Baum recently? I am wondering how bad the weeds are. I fished there early last September and the weed growth was pretty horrendous. But if it's still fishable weedwise, I'm thinking maybe it might be one of the few places with water cool enough to keep the trout happy.

Vaughn's report from a week ago says "Reports indicate the fish have gone down to cooler water", although I am not sure where cooler water would be at Baum. Most of it is pretty shallow until you get all the way down to the dam at Powerhouse #2. I thought the water in Baum stayed pretty cool all year because of the constant flow through it and the number of springs feeding it. I remember it as being pretty cool water when I was there over last Labor Day weekend (I was in a float tube in breathable waders) even though the air temp was in the mid-80 degree range.

Any recent experiences there?

joshfish
07-25-2010, 05:25 PM
didnt fish but was up there a couple weeks ago. the weeds right in front of the boat ramp looked pretty bad. the main channels didnt look too bad and there were still several people fishing in the late afternoon. only talked to one guy and he said it was a little slow for him.

michaeln
07-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Yeah, I expect the weeds to be really bad. When I was there last Labor Day I was in a float tube so the weeds were a serious issue, I was constantly getting my legs, feet and fins all tangled in them. Now I fish from a 'toon and figure I can slide over them and row by dipping the oars in shallow, so the weeds won't be such a problem.

If I had any brains I'd wait until summer is over, but I am not known for my good judgement.

joshfish
07-31-2010, 10:08 PM
michealn, i havent read the recent reports but lewiston lake may be another option for stillwater fishing.

wjorg
08-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Lewiston Lake sucked a few weeks ago. I wouldnt waste your time there unless they put some more rubber trout in.