PDA

View Full Version : Spooner Lake south of Reno ?

mike borba
07-23-2010, 01:29 AM
Anyone ever fished this lake? Any info you would be appreciated

Reno Flytyer
07-23-2010, 06:28 AM
It's been about six or seven years since I fished Spooner Mike. You can park either just above the lake on the highway and avoid the park fees (don't know what those are now)...
we parked in the park. It's a short walk with the tube down to the water's edge, maybe 150 yards or so. We caught a lot of trout, easily in the 30's, on small buggers (#12-#14) & Sheep Creek Specials. There was nothing particularly difficult about catching fish. Quite a show put on by the Osprey. I've thougth about going back, just for the novelty of it all...
beautiful scenery, it is next to Tahoe afterall. The fish aren't big, generally 10-12", but we did get a couple around 15" or so. It's fun.
RFT

Scott V
07-23-2010, 07:11 AM
It is in Nevada so make sure to get your Nevada fishing license.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Somewhere I read there were chub minnows in Spooner?

Reno Flytyer
07-23-2010, 11:42 AM
We did catch a couple of the chub minnows Bill. We didn't use any muddlers either. There's a 5 fish limit & any method can be used. Cooler up there too!! :o)
RFT

Scott V
07-23-2010, 11:57 AM
I'll post a report tomorrow, I am starting my long day of fishing there. My plans for tomorrow are to get a rainbow and tiger there, off to one of my brookie places, then off to the Silverfork for rainbows and browns. 4 different fish 5 if you count rainbows from both a lake and stream, 3 different pieces of water. Lake, creek, and stream all in one day, tomorrow is going to be fun.

RenoLipRipper
07-23-2010, 02:52 PM
I was there about a month and a half. Parked up on top, it is a buck. Walked down to where the trail forked and went to the right, had to do some bush waking as I did not see any obvious trail down. Brings you into the back right side of the lake.

The fishing then was dismal. Due in part to the lack of weeds.

Last year, don't recall the month, but towards the later months, I fished it a couple of times, and did very well. The weeds were so thick, I was getting tangled up in them while kicking.

Did catch a few tiger trout.

If you park down in the parking area for Spooner, It is $10 with a $2 discount if you are a Nevada resident.

And as stated before make sure you have a NV license.

flyfishnevada
07-23-2010, 04:52 PM
I thought they poisened Spooner a few years back to erradicate the chub. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were back. 10-12 years ago it was all you could do to get a fly down through the chub to the trout. I have caught chub up to about 10 inches, but they don't fight like much.

mike borba
07-27-2010, 11:59 AM
If I can figure out how to attatch a wheel to my pontoon boat, I might make it up there. This is the first time I've been sorry that I no longer own a float tube. Mike