PDA

View Full Version : WTT Sage LL 389 or Sage RPLXi 8wt for quality 7wt rod

NCFLY
07-22-2010, 07:21 PM
I am in the market for another quality 7wt rod, preferably a 4 piece 9'6"

I have a nice Sage Light Line 389 (2 piece) I'd be willing to offer in exchange for something of like value.
http://picasaweb.google.com/gcress/Sage?authkey=Gv1sRgCMLBwaWP1NK9aQ#

I also have a new Sage RPLXi 8 weight (3 piece) if that's your preference.

7wt should be in excellent condition...

Any takers?

NCFLY
07-23-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm willing to sell the Sage 389 LL (2) for $375 delivered.

I'll let go of the Sage RPLXi 8wt (3) for $275 delivered. This is a brand new unfished rod as Sage elected to replace a rod that was injured.

Once sold, I'll be in the market for a 9'6" 4 piece 7wt....
(Must be a 4 piece rod as it will be used exclusively for travel)

Mike

NCFLY
07-27-2010, 05:33 AM
While there has been considerable interest in the 389 LL, it's still available.

For perspective on my asking price of $375 delivered, a 490LL sold on ebay yesterday for $543.58 delivered.

Other opinions:

Listed as the Trout Underground's Dozen Best Fly Rods of All Time

Sage LL 389 (8′9″ 3wt) 
 Edging out Sage’s 490 LL, the 389 might have been one of the best spring creek/light fly fishing rods of all time, so naturally, Sage – marching to the tune of “more technology is better” – just had to discontinue it. Incredibly smooth, suggestively limber and an amazing fishing tool, the 389 remains one of the few rods that everyone from the bamboo fiends to the techno-rod-geeks can comfortably rave about. Inside dish from more than one industry source suggests Sage’s new line of “progressive” fly rods were designed to cast and fish like the much-missed Lightline rods, a bit of circular manufacturing that should amuse you, assuming you’re not paying today’s higher prices for “yesterday’s” action.Other reviews from fly fisherman include the following:

I have the Sage 389 LL. IMHO this is the best small stream trout rod they have made. And is the best small stream rods I have ever casted and used. I have been wanting one of these for years. If you can find a 389 LL, buy it. You will never regret it. My absolute favorite all-time rod for small streams.This is my favorite trout rod. Light, with incredible feel, it still has backbone to fight and land big trout. The feel is one thing, I didn't expect this much muscle on such a light rod. If you want to fish dry flies, this rod is a must - it lets you cast so delicately it will even surprise you. The rod is out of production, but you can still find it, and I expect people will snap it up. I found a 3wt 8ft 9in model in mint condition but previously owned, and the shop suggested I put on a Royal Wulff triangle taper line. The line, I found, complements the rod extremely well in giving a light, noiseless presentation. Although the rod is most fun with dries, it can handle nymphing as well. I take this rod to the stream with me even when there is some wind, just in case the breeze dies down and I can switch over from my 5 wt. It'll give you a whole different flyfishing experience.I have yet to find myself in a situation where I couldn't cast far enough with the 389. I haven't bought another rod since.

The LL is a staple rod for every fly fisher. Simply put, there will always be a stream you are going to fish on where a lighter softer approach will be necessary. Where one will need to slow down a little, open up the cast and pay out line in the lightest most effective manner.

This is the only dry fly rod, don't know why Sage stopped. I have used out of a drift boat with #8 hopper & #12 beadhead with no problems.

The nicest graphite 3-weight ever made, bar none. Sometimes a maker gets it all just right, and this is one of those times.

This is a great rod for anyone who likes to "be one with the fish."

Specifications:

Model : 389 LL
Length : 8' 9"
Weight : 3
Pieces : 2
Weight : 2 3/8 oz.

NCFLY
07-28-2010, 07:03 AM
Gentlemen... the 389LL has been sold pending receipt of funds.

I'd like to thank everyone who responded with trade offers.

The RPLXi 890-3 is still available for sell or trade.

It's been a pleasure,

Mike

Paul B.
07-29-2010, 04:42 AM
Somebody got a great rod.

Terry Imai
08-02-2010, 03:10 PM
If I put all of the fish I've caught with my Sage 389 LL, I would probably be ten times greater than the rest of my other trout flyrods. I remember many years ago when Sage first introduced the LL series and Bill Kiene said that the 389 LL was a supernice model but in typical Bill fashion, it left it up to me make my own decision. I decided upon the 490 LL and liked that model so much that when Sage made a few enhancements to the LL series, I purchased another 490 LL. After a few trips to Montana and seeing the 389 LL in the hands in some very good spring creek fishermen, I figured that there was something going on and built a very spartan rod on the 389 LL blank. I use a 3 weight double taper and have caught a huge number of over 20" trout on some of the toughest spring creeks. You can catch very large fish with a 6X or 7X tippet and put extreme pressure without a concern of snapping your tippet. I found that I could bring a fish to the net in a manner of minutes because of the pressure I could put on the fish. One of my major pet peeves is to see someone play a fish so long that eventhough it will be released, you know the fish will probably die due to exhaustion.

Best trout rod ever....