PDA

View Full Version : Human Scent

michaeln
07-22-2010, 01:20 AM
I was watching a Youtube video of Andy Burke on tying a Pyramid Lake Wooly Bugger, and he mentioned it is a good idea to grab some bottom mud and rub your flies with it to mask non-natural scents.

Later on I read an article on FAOL about scent trails and particularly that of human scent. The gist of it was that some people excrete more "L-Serine" than others from their hands and that it is a powerful fish repellent (along with bug spray, sunscreen, and some say even head cement).

http://flyanglersonline.com/features/lakes/part20.php

Do YOU do anything to mask human scent related stuff on your flies?

Darrin.Deel
07-22-2010, 07:57 AM
i do not. I mostly fish rivers, though

Darian
07-22-2010, 09:27 AM
I read an article in an early issue of Salmon/Trout/Steelheader that described a counting station in a channel in Washington State. The fish counter sat in a boatswain's chair suspended over the water with lower legs in the water; wearing waders or not. When the counter dipped his legs in the water, all of the fish in the channel moved to the sides. The conclusion was that the fish were avoiding the scent in the water (human or waders).... :confused:

In washing my hands while tying flies, I only use Ivory hand soap and do attempt to mask scent on the water by rubbing mud on my hands (if I think about it) and, altho I do rinse my hand off, I don't try to wash the fish scent completely off my hands after a releasing a fish. :cool:

michaeln
07-22-2010, 09:35 AM
I've been real sloppy about it. I rub on sunscreen and mosquito repellent and kinda just wash my hands off in the water and wipe them on my waders. I'm pretty sure that for an animal who can find their way upstream to where they were born using scent alone, I am putting a big nasty Exxon Valdez kinda scent trail into the water, and getting it on my flies and leaders too.

I am going to get some biodegradable unscented soap like Dr. Bronner's and carry a little bottle of it with me to wash my hands with periodically throughout the day, any time I have handled stinky stuff other than fish. I'm thinking of also scooping up some mud and water from shore and carrying it in a small container like a film can to dunk my flies in and maybe rub on my leader.

It may not help, but I can't see any way it could hurt.

Darian
07-22-2010, 09:43 AM
There're a bunch of hand soaps out there that're effective but expensive. If you don't want to buy those a couple of inexpensive alternatives are Ivory hand soap or Castille hand soap. Each is non-greasy and leaves little, if any odor in the water and you can carry a bar or part of a bar in a zip-lock bag in our vest. :cool:

Mike O
07-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Just please don't wash your hands actually in the stream with any kind of soap. Take a cup at least 50 ft away from the stream, so the chemicals in the soap (doesn't matter what kind) don't get in the stream...unless you are willing to both drink and inhale the soap??

Darian
07-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Yeah,.... None of us would ever've of thought of that.... :rolleyes:

huntindog
07-22-2010, 11:58 AM
deer/elk hunters use doe urine to mask their smell and attract big bucks. Where can i purchase some "steelhead in heat" urine? :D

Fats
07-22-2010, 12:25 PM
I remember reading one article on west coast steelheading ( back in the 90's ) that advocated putting vanilla on your flies to mask the human scent... I tried it and I'm not sure I had any more or less success but after a day on the stream I came off the river smelling like freshly baked cookies!

albchen
07-22-2010, 12:43 PM
When I was with the Mission Peak Fly Anglers, there was a guy who used to carry a bottle of scent with him. Before he went fishing, he'd drop some on his hands and rub it into his fly. We gave him a hard time for "bait" fishing, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Also, w.r.t. huntindog, how many of us really wash our hands with soap after taking a leak outdoors? I rest my case.

Best regards,
albchen

michaeln
07-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Also, w.r.t. huntindog, how many of us really wash our hands with soap after taking a leak outdoors? I rest my case.

Just make sure you don't eat asparagus the night before.

wildnscenic
07-22-2010, 02:14 PM
I dont know why the fly guy thinks that scent is so taboo ! - but after this years experiments - 3 monthes of still water fishing with one guy fishing scented flies and one without - blind of course .... like the old coffee commercial ! - I havent noticed any increase of hits on the covered flies - it does make sense that a trout would detect human scent , but day in day out I did not find an advantage to cover scent - for what it is worth ...

I am very carefull not to get sunscreen - bug spray etc on a fly - even afraid of lip balm when I wet my line tying knots ......

gene goss
07-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Rainbow power bait....its biodegradable....it has no oil base in it,so your fly won't turn into a sticky mess.....i been using it for years.

Ed Wahl
07-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Rainbow power bait....its biodegradable....it has no oil base in it,so your fly won't turn into a sticky mess.....i been using it for years.

Aha!

Caught'cha!:D

All this time you're tellin us you're using wiggle tails. :eek:

The truth comes out.

Feel better for getting that off your chest Gene?

Ed

Mike O
07-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Yeah,.... None of us would ever've of thought of that.... :rolleyes:

Yeah, but I was on the McCloud two weeks ago watching some guy do up his dishes in the stream...and by his own admission had been coming there for twenty years to Flyfish.

Thanks for the sarcasm... :rolleyes: and the eyeroll. Guess we all can't walk on water like you, but jeez, that must make it easy to reach the best spots in the stream

Ed Wahl
07-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Mao, seriously, as a long time user of the backcountry(and frontcountry?) I'd have spoken up right then and there.
Yep, dunnit.

You missed your chance to educate or shame someone enough to halt a very bad habit.

Learn to walk on water some yourself, every little bit helps.

Like I was saying to Darion once while we were walking across Tahoe.......:D

Ed

Darian
07-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Hey mao,.... No sarcasm this time. One of the reasons I've slowed down my participation on this BB is precisely because guys like you seem to have a need to rain on everyones parade. Post a photo of a catch and get a lecture about poor fish handling, on and on, ad nauseum.... :\\

I realize posting this is useless but give everyone here some credit. Just because you saw one guy doing something you don't like on the McCloud doesn't mean we all need to be lectured about it. Leave the holier than thou attitude at the door.... :neutral:

Tracy Chimenti
07-22-2010, 10:29 PM
To mask with scent, or to remove scent, that is the question.

You could spray your hands with WD40 and probably tear-up the stripers.

I purchased a scent removal stone (sure you have seen it) while in the great Lakes and haven't used it once. I clean my hands as good as possible in the mud and grime after applying sunscreen. i'll try the flies when I go to Pyramid.

Al Linder emits a very high amount of L-serine and must mask this odor. My old girlfriend was just as bad.

Mike O
07-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Mao, seriously, as a long time user of the backcountry(and frontcountry?) I'd have spoken up right then and there.
Yep, dunnit.

You missed your chance to educate or shame someone enough to halt a very bad habit.

Ed

Nope. Didn't. Said something. Got the sarcastic eyeroll from him too. Shame only works for those who feel it.

MAO

Mike O
07-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Hey mao,.... No sarcasm this time. One of the reasons I've slowed down my participation on this BB is precisely because guys like you seem to have a need to rain on everyones parade. Post a photo of a catch and get a lecture about poor fish handling, on and on, ad nauseum.... :\\

I realize posting this is useless but give everyone here some credit. Just because you saw one guy doing something you don't like on the McCloud doesn't mean we all need to be lectured about it. Leave the holier than thou attitude at the door.... :neutral:

was going to respond, but took it to PM

Hairstacker
07-23-2010, 12:02 PM
I dont know why the fly guy thinks that scent is so taboo

It all comes down to how you as an individual want to play the game. Some of us prefer to know that it was our ability tie the fly and present it properly that was solely responsible for catching the fish.

I try to keep my hands clean (never fill up the car with gas the morning of the trip, etc.) but never apply anything to the fly. As Gene suggested, it is a very fine line between masking scent on the fly and actually applying scent that attracts fish. To me, applying attracting scent is no different than those who concoct elaborate dip baits (which are widely considered baits) to catch catfish.

Ed Wahl
07-24-2010, 01:36 AM
It all comes down to how you as an individual want to play the game. Some of us prefer to know that it was our ability tie the fly and present it properly that was solely responsible for catching the fish.

I try to keep my hands clean (never fill up the car with gas the morning of the trip, etc.) but never apply anything to the fly. As Gene suggested, it is a very fine line between masking scent on the fly and actually applying scent that attracts fish. To me, applying attracting scent is no different than those who concoct elaborate dip baits (which are widely considered baits) to catch catfish.

You guys are barking up the wrong tree here. Masking or covering your scent is easy and quite sporting.

Here's what you do.

Carry your spare flies in your buttcrack.

The ones you want dto fish first will have to be put at the top of the crack, and as the day wears on you just keep digging lower and lower.

The amount of masking scent is dependent upon the both the ambient air temperature and the temperature of the water if float tubing.

The amount of scent imparted is fairly low in the early morning periods but increases quite a lot as the afternoon heat builds up. With trout metabalism increasing with the warmer water temps this works out perfectly.

Then as evening come along the amount of scent decreases along with the amount of fellow fly fishers hanging out with you.

You could find yourself in trout fishing heaven.

I have dozens of pre scented flies available for sale. Just let me know what time of day you intend to fish so I'll know just where to take them from.

If you need stronger scent just let me know 3 days in advance.

Thanks Phil.

Ed

Phil Synhorst
07-24-2010, 09:17 AM
I have dozens of pre scented flies available for sale. Just let me know what time of day you intend to fish so I'll know just where to take them from.

If you need stronger scent just let me know 3 days in advance.

Ed

I may get out next weekend, so I'd like to place an order now. I'll take 4-6 Stone Fly Nymphs....the bigger the better, and 4-6 Stimulators...size 8 please.

Do you accept pay pal, or is it cash and carry only?:razz:

Hairstacker
07-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Here's what you do.

I rest my case. :lol:

Reno Flytyer
07-24-2010, 10:28 AM
I think I'll change my name to "Phil McCrackin".
RFT

michaeln
07-24-2010, 10:29 AM
I think I'll change my name to "Phil McCrackin".
RFT

Holden McRoyne

Hairstacker
07-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Remind me never to bum any flies off Ed or Phil.

Occurred to me this is another argument to go barbless for some.

michaeln
07-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Well, at least there was some interesting stuff in this thread before it went completely to hell. :)

BillB
07-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Question(s) Ed. If you are not wearing waders does the sent dissipate more rapidly than with waders? Also, if you are in a tube wearing waders is it difficult to retrieve the next scented choice? When you have retrieved the desired fly and begin to tie it to the tipit do you moisten the leader material?

When I was a young guy I fished occasionally with a fellow that was not shy about throwing worms and/or eggs. He traveled lite and fast with little paraphernalia so he carried his spare bait in his mouth. All he more reason to toss feathers to me! I'm sure I don't know what I was missing!

OceanSunfish
07-24-2010, 10:58 PM
To mask with scent, or to remove scent, that is the question.

You could spray your hands with WD40 and probably tear-up the stripers.

I purchased a scent removal stone (sure you have seen it) while in the great Lakes and haven't used it once. I clean my hands as good as possible in the mud and grime after applying sunscreen. i'll try the flies when I go to Pyramid.

Al Linder emits a very high amount of L-serine and must mask this odor. My old girlfriend was just as bad.

That WD-40 sure does work......

Salmon seem to have the most sensitive of snouts.... 20 years ago, "Dr. Juice" was a big advocate for masking human scent from salmon lures, mostly. I used the stuff that simply cleansed the lure of L-Serine, but didn't add any "scent" as I didn't care to gum up my lures with all the sticky gooey stuff.....

Just dip the lure in the agent and make a cast...... I felt it made a big difference.

The guys from "Pro-Cure" are almost always seen fishing while wearing their black "ninja gloves" they market for sale. Many salmon guides don't let clients touch the roe, kwikfish, or whatever else is being fished for salmon.

Ed Wahl
07-25-2010, 12:33 AM
Question(s) Ed. If you are not wearing waders does the sent dissipate more rapidly than with waders? Also, if you are in a tube wearing waders is it difficult to retrieve the next scented choice? When you have retrieved the desired fly and begin to tie it to the tipit do you moisten the leader material?

Geez, always with the details. I give you gold and you want change.

Okay Bill, here ya go.

I've not noticed any scent dissapation without waders but I'm normally wearing them while tubing. You may want to experiment and let us know.
I can say that on long walks into canyons the scent does seem to be a lot stronger, just aks Phil.

I've found it to be of paramount importance to file them in the crack in order of use. Think about it. You could be fishing around in your crack for an hour dredging up all kinds of stuff before you find the right fly, wasting valuable fishing time.
That could get embarrassing if you're not doing it right.

While you're fishing around down there for your flies it's very simple to place your tippet in the 'dead zone' and just slide it right back out. Viola, moistened and scented at the same time.

You see, everythings pretty simple when you know how it's done.

Maybe Bill K. will let me do a class on my fly filing system down at the shop some day?

Ed

BillB
07-25-2010, 08:14 AM
Maybe Bill K. will let me do a class on my fly filing system down at the shop some day?

Ed

Let me be the first to make a reservation! Thanks for the details Ed, I appreciate it.

I really feel dumb right now. I had a totally different understanding of the "Crease Fly"!

Phil Synhorst
07-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Well, at least there was some interesting stuff in this thread before it went completely to hell. :)

Oh contraire mon ami. Good info, yes. But this is not the correct forum for a thread to go completely to hell.:)

:-$That would be the --------- forum.:paranoid:

GoldenStone
07-28-2010, 03:44 PM
My uncle used to use WD40 to mask his hand oil scent. Anyone heard of this?

bigfly
07-30-2010, 11:20 AM
I've always suggested eating kippered herrings while tying flies.
Sorta kills two birds at a time. Scent Masker/Attractant. Plus you get a serving of Omega oil!
Of course, you may not want to leave the flies in your vehicle during hot weather.

Jim