PDA

View Full Version : South Yuba near little town of Washington

DFrink
07-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Anyone ever fish this stretch of river? I have always had it on my list, as usuall I thought I would ask around before dedicating a day trip. If anyone has info they want to share it would be great, hate using one of my few full fishing days on crappy water. I'm thinking about giving it a shot in a few weeks, if it's not to hot down there. PM's welcome, I'll let you know how I do in a few weeks.

Hogan Brown
07-21-2010, 08:38 PM
I fished it a bunch before I left town for college. Usually an early season fishery as it does get warm, but with all the water this year may fish later in the season. Pretty average small stream sierra fish from what I encountered. really pretty area of the south yuba though.

BenFishin
07-21-2010, 09:32 PM
it was on my list too many years ago when I checked it out. It a big party/swimming hole and you'll have to hump a ways over some big boulders to get away from the crowds. It gets really busy on the weekends, almost a zoo like atmosphere.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-21-2010, 09:58 PM
It is a very clear river that does get pretty warm as Hogan said.

I think it might have some OK stretches up higher where it should be colder but probably not good survival rate down low.

Look for some dry fly fishing the last hour or so.

I think early on it has a salmon fly hatch though.

DFrink
07-22-2010, 06:36 AM
Thanks all, this is why I asked. I may choose another option, I really don't want to spend a day fishing warm water with tons of people around to catch smaller fish. I would rather go up to Downieville or fish a number of local streams. If I do make it out I will give some feedback on how I do.

Dan

wineslob
07-26-2010, 08:24 AM
I haven't fished the SY near Washington for a very long time. Even then 25+ years ago, there were lots of people. However, if you are adventureous, roughly 1.5 miles below Lang Crossing (well past the swimming holes) is an area thats hard to get to, but the rewards are worth it.