PDA

View Full Version : New Thread

Frank Alessio
07-20-2010, 10:21 AM
What is a Halgermite? Also what is its life cycle????

michaeln
07-20-2010, 10:35 AM
What is a Halgermite? Also what is its life cycle????

Do you mean hellgrammite?

Frank Alessio
07-20-2010, 10:43 AM
That is it....Thank you very much.... Frank

SHigSpeed
07-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Dobsonfly larva. The adult is an ugly MoFo! Google 'em.

_SHig

BillB
07-27-2010, 08:19 PM
Frank when I was a young guy (kid) we would go to the North Fork of the Kaweah and grab the buggers from under the rocks. We would get some really large specimens, 3" or so, that Kings River small mouth couldn't resist! They can be a rather imposing looking creature.

Frank Alessio
07-27-2010, 09:17 PM
BillB... When I was a kid we would turn over rocks in the Upper Sac to find them. We would put them on a bait keeper hook with split shot and use our fly rods... You were sure to get a bite.... It was years before I ever saw a spinning rod.... I looked them up once I found out the correct spelling... Then found a video and tied some up... I tied some larger ones to try for Smallmouth.... This board is a great learning tool.... Frank

DFrink
07-28-2010, 07:09 AM
When I was a kid I learned how to fish streams using helgramites. My Dad used to call stonefly nymphs helgramites as well. I didn't know the difference until I got into fly fishing. They are both deadly on a hook, under a split shot with a spinning real. We used to joke, for every one you found, that was a trout in your creel.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-28-2010, 08:08 AM
Are Hellgrammite nymphs/larva actually found in cold trout waters?

I thought they were in a little warmer water like where the Smallmouth Bass are living?

DFrink
07-28-2010, 08:14 AM
Bill,

Absolutely they are found in colder water, I don't know about the warmer water. I grew up in Georgetown and used to find them in the streams up by French Meadows and Hell Hole Reservoir (4000' up to around 5500'). I will say that we mostly would find stonefly's when flipping rocks, but the occasional hellgrammite would be found and it was the golden egg.

Dan

I thought they were in a little warmer water like where the Smallmouth Bass are living?

BillB
07-28-2010, 05:22 PM

Bill the "river" we got them out of, North Fork Kaweah, has an elevation of about 1200' up to 4000' or so. We caught helgramites at the lower level in Three Rivers. The stream did support a small population of trout along with catfish(!), goggle eye perch, and small mouth bass. Certainly warmer than the Sac.

Mike O
07-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Last pic on second post is a Dobsonfly on the Upper Sac around Castella

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20540

Fats
08-04-2010, 09:32 PM
We saw a full blown adult in the nature conservancy last week on the McCloud.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dobsonfly