PDA

View Full Version : Help for Older Flyfishers

michaeln
07-20-2010, 07:39 AM
It probably isn't of much interest to many of you young studs who think nothing of backpacking in to remote areas and hopping from boulder to boulder while fly fishing, but some of us are getting older and find that stuff difficult to do anymore.

There is a great article in the latest (August 2010) issue of California Flyfisher on strategies to help "more experienced" (read "high mileage") anglers to continue with their fly fishing passion.

Highly recommended reading for the geezers amongst us!

Kneedeep
07-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Nicely put.
At over 60yrs, I don't find it all that difficult, but definitely less frequent and at a slower pace. Somewhat like geriatric sex.:D
That's the third time in the last 24hrs I've seen reference to "geezer".

It probably isn't of much interest to many of you young studs who think nothing of backpacking in to remote areas and hopping from boulder to boulder while fly fishing, but some of us are getting older and find that stuff difficult to do anymore.

There is a great article in the latest (August 2010) issue of California Flyfisher on strategies to help "more experienced" (read "high mileage") anglers to continue with their fly fishing passion.

Highly recommended reading for the geezers amongst us!

BillB
07-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Hey, I resemble that! Careful with the geezer stuff! I didn't receive my copy of CFF yet, but will look forward to it.

I find float tubing more appealing than ever for some reason. The stream bottom of preference is sand to two inch rocks. I haven't fished the canyons of the Kaweah in 103 degree heat lately either. I find pedestal seats in boats increasingly more appealing.

I am by know means ready to lay down my gear but am more aware of the comfort part of the sport!

pgw
07-21-2010, 07:12 AM
Take aways from the article...
1. pick your spots to fish (I like the idea of looking for sand or cobble bottoms) and some placed don't require wading.

2. remember that you're not 30 anymore, aging creates limitations and knowing them allows you to avoid their consequences;as an example...last week a 65 year old flyfisherman from Iowa died after loosing his footing just downstream from Buffalo Ford (yeah, I know it got renamed Nez Perce Ford a couple of years ago, but the Buffalo were there first!) on the Yellowstone River in YNP.

so it's kinda like the answer to the question, "Doctor, my arm hurts when I raise it, shat should I do?"

This former college athlete, picks his spots, takes lots of breaks, enjoys pipes and cigars, doesn't row as hard or as long, fishes "prime" times instead of flogging the water all day, and remembers the advice the old bull gave the young bull, "...let's walk down and get them all!"

Paul

michaeln
07-21-2010, 08:41 AM
I found when I was reading that article that at an out-of-shape and overweight 60, I am already doing most of what was recommended there. I have stopped fishing rivers, streams and creeks altogether though. It's just too strenuous for me, and I don't miss the snagged backcasts and other issues associated with fishing moving water.

I have changed to exclusively being a stillwater fisherman (although my favorite, Baum Lake, is not exactly still). I like sitting on my ass while I fish, I like not hiking or stumbling around on greasy rocks. I like not worrying about snakes. I like the typically larger fish we catch in stillwaters. I enjoy the moderate exercise propelling my 'toon with fins and / or oars provides.

One thing I still DON'T do right is to concentrate on fishing prime time only. I may be out there at the crack of dawn and fish all day except for maybe coming ashore to spend 15-20 minutes eating lunch and emptying my ballast tanks, then I am back out there.

Being out there in the bright sunny middle of the day is seldom productive for me on most stillwaters (again, the exception being Baum Lake... with its constant flow of cold water, it often fishes well all day). Staying out from dawn until 5 or 6 PM leaves me too tired to be out from early evening until dark.

I need to learn to rest during the middle of the day instead of sitting out there baking in the sun all day. Then I'd have the energy to fish the productive (and often less crowded) evening bite.

Mike O
07-21-2010, 10:48 AM
I found ...snip... Then I'd have the energy to fish the productive (and often less crowded) evening bite.

Yeah, why is that? I find that, especially in summer, the evenings are almost ALWAYS better than any other time, and yet fishers, and flyfishers, seem to go home when the sun starts getting low. I can fish many a prime water at 7PM and almost have it to myself (a la the Upper Sac) with a massive amount of bugs, and trout getting silly all over the place.

Never gonna understand that one. Never gonna understand why people leave ballgames they paid big $$ to see in the last few innings, last quarter, etc.

MAO

Scott V
07-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Yeah, why is that? I find that, especially in summer, the evenings are almost ALWAYS better than any other time, and yet fishers, and flyfishers, seem to go home when the sun starts getting low. I can fish many a prime water at 7PM and almost have it to myself (a la the Upper Sac) with a massive amount of bugs, and trout getting silly all over the place.

Never gonna understand that one. Never gonna understand why people leave ballgames they paid big $$ to see in the last few innings, last quarter, etc.

MAO

I fish til I can not see my fly anymore. I like to hike back to my car in the dark. But then again I just like to fish as much as possible.

michaeln
07-21-2010, 10:55 AM
I think it's hard to break that way of thinking that the evening is for having dinner and relaxing, not working at something.

When I am on a fishing trip I don't much care about food, it's more of a refueling thing for me, so I seldom go back to camp and put together any kind of complicated thing for dinner. Usually I make things at home the week before and put the leftovers in those vacuum seal bags and then into the freezer. When I leave to go camp & fish I toss some of those into the icechest and at camp it's a one pot meal with almost no clean up. I have little reason to spend the evening in camp unless I have already tired myself out from being out there all day in the sun.

Next time I'm bringing a good book and will try to fish early and late and in the middle of the day I will rest, nap, read and have my quick dinner, then go back out in the evening.

michaeln
07-21-2010, 10:56 AM
I fish til I can not see my fly anymore. I like to hike back to my car in the dark. But then again I just like to fish as much as possible.

.... and you're comparatively young. I used to like to do that too.

El Rey
07-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Good article. Good advice.

Now that I'm pushing 70--actually I'm still a young 68--I know my limitations, and I don't venture off by myself into inaccessible places. My wife always knows where I will be--often she's fishing with me. I always use a stout wading staff, even on gentle terrain and flat water. I often hike like a blind man with a white stick, but the staff can ward off rattlers.

But I still prefer small streams and easy access rivers. A hike of a mile or so upstream on the Yuba is still easily managable, but I'm extremely careful wading on those slick rocks Haven't warmed up to still water fishing--it's boring.

A few years ago I posted on another Board that my wife thought I should find other geezers to fish with. I had several good responses and offers, and now I can call upon several companions to accompany me (one of whom was quoted in the article), tell lies, and remember the good ol' days. Advantages of retirement is that old guys are available during the week.

Enough geezer talk. Just remember you're not 30 any more, know your limitations, and be careful.

Cheers,
El Rey

BillB
07-21-2010, 08:12 PM
As El Rey says one of the benefits of being retired is being able to fish during the week. I love to hit a local lake after I take my wife and daughter lunch at their school. Takes me about 10 minutes to get there another 5 to rig and blow up the FC. The down side is that most often folks are gainfully employed making me the lone geezer! For my family's sake, I don't push the danger envelope much any longer. Wade skinnier water with less current, stay off of cliffs and don't crawl up the side of Manzanita choked rattle snake infested canyon walls after dark.

Did I mention I am loving retirement? I have fished more in the last year than the previous 4!

Woodman
08-03-2010, 09:25 PM
My dad is now 84 and still going strong. He fishes primarily floatable waters that are mostly fishable from the drift boat (Lower Sac, Missouri, etc.). Can't make the super long casts or tie on a size 22 fly anymore, but always seems to catch the biggest fish of the day.