PDA

View Full Version : Japan

Ned Morris
07-19-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm headed to Tokyo for work in October and I am trying to make a side trip to Hokkaido to fish for Masu and Yammane (Cherry Trout-Charr). Anyone out there ever fish for the Salmonids of Japan and if know of guides who speak English? I missed out when I went to Italy and Slovenia last Fall but since I will be on my own this time because of the "Business Trip" I should be able to pull it off if I plan now. Any help much appreciated.

wjorg
07-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Hey Ned....I sent my buddy an email. He's Japanese, worked out here at Leland's, now for Patagonia Japan. He always told me about the "Cherry Salmon." We'll see what he says about an english speaking guide...

-Walt

aaron
07-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Let me know what you find out, I'll be there at the end of November and in February although if winter starts early I'll be skiing instead of fishing.

Ned Morris
07-24-2010, 08:31 AM
I also found some really cool spots a few hours outside Tokyo where there are streams that contain Cherry Trout as well as Native Chars. Lake Biwa contains Masu, but I don't have any info on there numbers there. Hokkaido would be awesome, but time may be limited due to work. Looks like I am also headed to Yokohama so I will need to check out Saltwater possibilities too if I can. Thanks for your inquiries on my behalf. Hope you're having a good season I can live vicariously through you! Life gets in the way.:D

Oskar
08-17-2010, 03:27 AM
I am also visiting Japan (Tokyo/Yokohama) but in September, Im thinking about bringing some gear. Did anyone find any english info, websites or shops in/near Tokyo?

thanks

aaron
08-17-2010, 10:07 AM
http://neversink.blogzine.jp/blog/fly_shops/index.html

lnish
09-17-2010, 10:03 PM
i fished Hokkaido years ago in 1995-6ish. really good but you need a rental car. if you are still interested i will try and dig up some info that i obtain when there. there was a small (very small) hotel called "KIRARA" that had a room for rent. Also there was good dryfly for steelhead on october caddis like flies. Not sure about guides though

medfly
09-18-2010, 07:05 PM
was in japan and korea this past spring. fished in korea, but not japan. if you are in tokyo, there is a fishing store, sanyo??? (this may be the name, definitely something similar), it is right down the street from the shibuya subway station (walkable), there are 2 stores right next to each other, on the second floor of one of them is a great flyshop, i got a great bamboo box and crammed it full of japanese flies that are gorgeous, one of my coolest trip souvenoirs, i have pics, but am lazy right now, i highly recommend this shop

Ned Morris
09-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Looks like I won't be going until after the first of the year, depending on how well my negotiating goes. I have found some cool blogs on fishing couple hours outside Tokyo for native trout and charr. However I might be going to the coast at Yokohama so I am now checking out Saltwater options there as well. Good stuff!

lnish
09-23-2010, 02:41 PM
I know in Yokohama and the bay and in Kamakura area (where i used to live) are Suzuki in winter. They are a sea bass that look like snook. Lure guys used rapala and yozuri red heads. I think a bit further south of Fujisawa there is a river where there is a run of Sakura masu in winter, too.