PDA

View Full Version : New(to me) Rod; line question

pvsprme
07-19-2010, 08:26 AM
Just picked up a Press Powell LTSH in a 7/8 weight, 9'-6" long. I have a Scott G in the same length, 6/7 weight that I love with a Rio AS/Steelhead line. I think the Powell is going to be similar action from what the seller tells me; a more relaxed stroke that I've come to favor over my Loomis GLX/HLS.
The seller is extremely knowledgeable in the whole Powell line, and tells me it'd work well with the Rio or SA Steelhead taper, but he really likes the Wulff TT line with these rods.
Looking at the TT line, I see several choices which lead to my post:
Wulff TTBA 7 (or eight)
Wulf TTSKC 7 (or eight) EDIT: appears this is a sink-tip; I want a full floater.
Wulf TT7/8F
Anyone out there able to break these down? Any links to taper/grain/head length specs?
My intent is to use this rod primarily for swinging and skating on the Nor Cal Steelhead rivers.
thanks,
Robert

Darian
07-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Here's a link that provides line specs for Royal Wulff products:

http://www.royalwulff.com/specs.html

Hope this helps....

tallguy
07-19-2010, 09:47 AM
I have been using TT lines on my 5 weight for 16 years now.. I don't know that I would recommend them for steelhead situations though. I have them on a pretty soft rod (Loomis IM6), and the TT works great out to 50-60 feet or so, then sort of collapses. So I have never really felt them to be very good for distance, though maybe thats just my poor casting (though I can get 80-90' out with other rod/line combos..)

pvsprme
07-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks, Darian. The Steelhead line piques my interest, but I think I'll stick with the AS/Steelhead for now. I have it in a 7wt, will try it before I go get another line.
TallGuy: Your input is appreciated; I suspect I'd agree. I usually don't airialize (sp?) much over 60'; if I have to cast longer than that I tend to strip in then shoot. Most places I fish won't allow that much line in the backcast. I do like the long rear taper of the Rio AS/Sth line for roll casting and mending. I suspect the Wulff is the opposite, much like my Rio Grand, with short rear taper and thin running line. Shoots a mile, but not as good for mending, rolling.

Rick J
07-19-2010, 12:13 PM
The regular TT floating lines are hands down my favorite floating line and I have them from 2 wt through 9 wt. I have been using these for over 20 years

I think they are awesome for distance - you can quite easily hold 55 to 60 feet of a 7 wt in the air and cast the rest - they are great roll casting lines and if you use a dynamic roll cast (ie switch cast) you can pretty easily reach lengths of over 70 feet and more in ideal conditions.

But if you have a line that you like I ma not sure I would buy a new one just to buy a line. I know there are some that do not care for the TT lines and feel they don't load in close but I have no trouble with them at any distance. Perhaps some of this is for close work I am using a soft rod (Scott G 802) so it loads easily with only a few feet out. I am not a huge fan of fast action rods but I do use fast rods in saltwater applications and use the Wulff TT saltwater version and also love that line.

The once issue I have is due to the fairly thin running line you can get tangles on occasion depending on how you handle the coils

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Facts about fly lines:

Here at Kiene's we try to stock the one of the largest, most diverse stock of fly lines.

With the large selection we have, we don't have to "force feed" you what we have.

If you don't see a brand and series of fly lines in our store it is because the demand from the fly fishers in our area is extremely low.

Some people think the facts of what sells best is not reflective of what is best. Well, what is best is subjective and what sells is actually hard cold facts.

We carry a few of every manufacturers fly lines if there is any demand at all for them.

For example, we carry the Wulff standard TT trout full floating fly lines in #4, 5 and 6, year round and sell a couple. The demand in Nor Cal seems to be fairly low. In Oregon, Washington, in the Rockys and back East they have more popularity.

It is very easy to keep a few lines in stock "to make people happy" so we do.

Also, we can order almost any fly line you wish too.

It is a supply and demand world so we carry what people ask for and we also carry some lines because one of our staff really believes in it.

If you go to a small shop where there is one or two people working they can like a certain line and force feed it to everyone that comes in. this is OK because they believe in that fly line but it in no way reflects what is selling in their state/area.

Another fact is that fly lines are changing all the time so if you have not tried all the new ones you are surly out of touch with what is going on today.

I have been selling fly lines foe 45 years and I have seen them come and go...........

Rick J
07-19-2010, 01:00 PM
PS- I tried one of the Wulff steelhead tapers and did not care for it at all.

Regarding Bill's post - it really comes down to your preference and what you like and Bill carries most anything you will likely want. I have been a fan of the TT lines and have been using them for years. But I have also used Cortland and RIO lines and like them as well.

I have never been a fan of the SA lines but it has been awhile since I used any of them. If you like the Rio steelhead on your 6, I have to think you would like one on your new 7

pvsprme
07-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Rod arrived today, lined up with the Rio AS/Sth in a 7 wt. it's sweet. Think I'll stick with this for now. It also threw a 9 wt. WF floater I had on a bigger reel to better balance the rod reasonably well. Might have to try it with an 8. My pool/yard limits me to 50', so I'll know better when I can get it on the water.
Rick J: I appreciate your comments on the TT; especially the dynamic roll cast, been learning that and like it. An 8wt TT may be the ticket for that.