PDA

View Full Version : N F of the Yuba River is excellent right now!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-18-2010, 08:57 PM
I would fish somewhere between Downieville and Sierra City right now.

Afternoon-evening dry fly should be great.

Had a report of a 30 fish day this weekend.

Troutstalker55B
07-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Bill,

The NFYR is still red hot and great short line dry fly fishing in the pocket water! I have been down there quite a bit in the last few weeks and will continue - it's been a blast! Water is plenty cool and has lowered a tad. Effective flies are any thing in red or yellow #12-16. Check the latest post on my blog for a full report with pics (click below). The NFYR watershed is an amazing place and home to some nice trout.

Jon

Scott V
07-29-2010, 03:48 PM
That is one of my favorite waters. I hope to get there by next weekend.

Troutstalker55B
07-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Scott let me know where and when you will be there, would like to wet a line with you. PM me if you wish.

Jon.

Scott V
07-29-2010, 06:46 PM
Scott let me know where and when you will be there, would like to wet a line with you. PM me if you wish.

Jon.

Definetly will let you know, I am thinking the weekend after next. Gonna hike into Round Lake this weekend with my wife, she never goes with me when I go fishing but she wants to see what I see all the time. She is tired of just looking at my pictures.

Troutstalker55B
07-29-2010, 08:17 PM
Scott,

Sounds good, I 'm planning a trip with the GF for next Monday through Thursday (a 2 day trip but still up in the air) hiking to Saxonia Lake and Deer Lake in the Lakes Basin Wilderness. I Hope we can fish when your up at the NFYR - Let me know........

Jon.

Mike O
07-29-2010, 11:07 PM
Will prolly be up there the weekend after next as well. Yearly Father-Son Campout and gold-panning.

Fats
07-30-2010, 11:10 AM
My wife and I were up there a week or two ago to check it out... we had a blast! We did the best on plain old fashioned soft hackles. About a size 14 and the fish were hot for them!

mike borba
07-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Camping at Wild Plum. Fishing downstream of Sierra City. Haven't been up there in a couple of years. I'll be driving a white Ford Ranger. Mike Borba

esummers
08-01-2010, 09:31 PM
30+ fish both Saturday and Sunday. Elk hair, adams 14-16. Lots of small rainbows, but......they're wild as all get out and beautiful. What an amazing place. If they could just mix in a few 16"ers, the NF would be heaven. Still pretty sweet.

I probably hooked 60+ fish over the weekend and the biggest was about 10 inches. Most were in the 7-8" range. Wonder why they don't come a little bigger up there? Didn't hook any brookies which was a little surprising. I was around Sierra City. Do I have to go further up for the brookies?

Scott V
08-02-2010, 07:36 AM
I have noticed that I do not see brookies til around 6500 feet and higher.

esummers
08-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Thanks Scott - I'll have to head a little higher next time to get by brookie fix! Are there any golden trout in that neck of the woods or do I have to go further south?

troutbm
08-02-2010, 06:20 PM
30+ fish both Saturday and Sunday. Elk hair, adams 14-16. Lots of small rainbows, but......they're wild as all get out and beautiful. What an amazing place. If they could just mix in a few 16"ers, the NF would be heaven. Still pretty sweet.

I probably hooked 60+ fish over the weekend and the biggest was about 10 inches. Most were in the 7-8" range. Wonder why they don't come a little bigger up there? Didn't hook any brookies which was a little surprising. I was around Sierra City. Do I have to go further up for the brookies?

They are the size there supposed to be for any givin water. The north fork yuba biomass, water temps, and growing season don't grow "big trout". But a 12 inch fish out of that river is just as good as say an 18 inch trout out of a river like say the yuba. So its all relative. Thats my opinion.

Scott V
08-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Golden trout are far away high up in the back woods. I have yet to catch one myself, but mainly because those that know where they are, are not willing to share info. Someday I'll beat the info out of someone, and when I do I won't tell either.

SHigSpeed
08-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Golden trout are far away high up in the back woods. I have yet to catch one myself, but mainly because those that know where they are, are not willing to share info. Someday I'll beat the info out of someone, and when I do I won't tell either.

If you're willing to drive, I know of places that'll get you into goldens within a mile of the parking lot, maybe even yards! :)

Shhh!!

_SHig

Ed Wahl
08-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Scott, Ralph Cutter was willing to share.

Buy a copy of his Sierra Trout Guide, turn to page 98.

Also, pick up a copy of Jerome Yesavage's book "Desolation Wilderness Fishing Guide".

Two of those lakes can be accessed out of Wrights Lake as day hikes.

Oh yeah, you'll need a topo map too.

Now go out and discover.

Ed

Scott V
08-03-2010, 08:09 AM
Thanks Ed, I am going for goldens the weekend after next.