PDA

View Full Version : Souther Oregon

jbird
07-16-2010, 08:37 PM
I went back to the lake yesterday. It was "evil hot" No wind and tough fishin. Theres a group of guys from NorCal that come up about this time every year. Their group seems to have grown this year. Prams and pontoon floatilla. They had the place cornered and the fish were pretty "off". The weather certainly didnt help.

I got a nice 25" fish at the beginning that got me excited for a great day. After 3 more hours of nada I resorted to an indicator with a chironomid and a #14 hares ear. I was losing my patience after 10 minutes or so, when I saw a little line of bubbles moving toward my bobber. The bobber then dibbled, I set up on something solid that just continued a lazy swim. I pulled hard a couple times and that did it. Up and out of the water came this 28" buck, grey hounding into backing like a good fishy :) Took the haresear

3 more hours of nada and then it happened. ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. Tubes leakin...gotta go. This wasnt my first leak so I always carry a pump now. I was pumping and finning all the way back. :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC02515a.jpg

Hairstacker
07-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Geez Jay, I know you're a big steelhead flyfisherman and all but when you go to a lake, you're supposed to be catching trout! :lol: Man, a 28" rainbow is a fish of a lifetime for many. I enjoyed reading how you saw a line of bubbles head for the indicator . . . I love it when stuff like that happens. :cool:

jbird
07-17-2010, 08:57 AM
Hey Mike.

Me and Gordon fish the same waters and youve probably noticed, we catch the same fish lol. I really like trout, but I just LOVE big ones. So I will drive the extra distance for them :-)

I have been dreaming of big trout in lakes all thru the previous steelhead season. Maybe the steelhead will show up this year and I'll go flail for them.

I really need to get to the bass/bluegill/crappie pond too.

Darian
07-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Hmmm,.... In fishing for the same fish, are you sure that after catching one you and Gordon don't just unhook it and pass it to the other for a photo op.... :?: :?: :p

Langenbeck
07-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Went with Jeff and his friend on Friday. We hooked 7 and landed 4 of 2, 5, 6 and 7 pounds. I lost 2 fish of about 6 and 7 pounds. All taken stripping leeches except one.

The story of the day were Lost River Suckers(mullet). Between Jeff and I we landed 3 of them on chironomids that were between 10-13 pounds. On the initial run you sure think you have a huge trout. In all my past trips to Agency/Klamath have never taken an adult mullet.

jbird
07-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Yep they are in there this year. In fact, a fare number of fish you see rolling are mullet. I have clearly seen them roll.

The big day we had last week, I caught 2 of them. One was 10# and the other a tad over 15#. They both jumped multiple times and ran hard. Pretty fun actually....until they started doing the 'bury in the mud' thing. Ugly suckers....litteraly. You cant believe the splash a 15# sucker makes when he jumps!

SHigSpeed
07-17-2010, 02:17 PM
Good golly that's a nice 'bow! Damn SoOR fishing makes me jealous...

You have an ODC420? Where did you get the leak? On a cast? Spontaneous venting? Those seem like nice tubes especially now that you can buy inflatable seats for them. Cost of a Fish Cat, size of a Fat Cat.

_SHig

jbird
07-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Hi SHig

Yep its a 420. The leaks are popping along the seam of one of the main bladders. I emailed creek company and they said it 'may' be under warranty and I have to send it in. With it being lake season, I dont know if I can do without it for who knows how long.

Soooo, I patched it AGAIN (4th time now).

I have had it for a few years and its a fantastic tube! The leak issue just began a month or two ago.

SHigSpeed
07-17-2010, 06:31 PM
Hi SHig

Yep its a 420. The leaks are popping along the seam of one of the main bladders. I emailed creek company and they said it 'may' be under warranty and I have to send it in. With it being lake season, I dont know if I can do without it for who knows how long.

Soooo, I patched it AGAIN (4th time now).

I have had it for a few years and its a fantastic tube! The leak issue just began a month or two ago.

Is it the standard (with the PVC bottom coating) or the "light"?

Seems like the build quality isn't QUITE up there with the Outcasts, but it's a great value for sure!

_SHig

jbird
07-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Its got the pvc bottom. And youre right, its probably not as well made as the outcasts.

oregonsteel
07-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Beautiful fish. Looks like a steelhead rather than a resident trout?

I went back to the lake yesterday. It was "evil hot" No wind and tough fishin. Theres a group of guys from NorCal that come up about this time every year. Their group seems to have grown this year. Prams and pontoon floatilla. They had the place cornered and the fish were pretty "off". The weather certainly didnt help.

I got a nice 25" fish at the beginning that got me excited for a great day. After 3 more hours of nada I resorted to an indicator with a chironomid and a #14 hares ear. I was losing my patience after 10 minutes or so, when I saw a little line of bubbles moving toward my bobber. The bobber then dibbled, I set up on something solid that just continued a lazy swim. I pulled hard a couple times and that did it. Up and out of the water came this 28" buck, grey hounding into backing like a good fishy :) Took the haresear

3 more hours of nada and then it happened. ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. Tubes leakin...gotta go. This wasnt my first leak so I always carry a pump now. I was pumping and finning all the way back. :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC02515a.jpg