PDA

View Full Version : Hex at Butt Valley?

wineslob
07-15-2010, 01:56 PM
I'm heading out Sun afternoon for a week long vacation at Butt Valley. I'm wondering if there are any Hex hatches still going on? (I know it's late but this has been a late year)
I plan on mostly fishing with Rebels/Pinns but I might break out the 6wt.

EBAC
07-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Ill be up there the weekend of the 24th went last year at this time and didnt see many hexes, a few, and a few fish up think they were mostly bass. If you have a boat or canoe the smallmouth fishing can be great using pondsmelt patterns buggers and dries in the mornings and evenings look for the schools of baitfish and you normally find the bass. The powerhouse inflow and butt creek inflow can also be good, cold water. Down by the dam sinking lines will find trout and bass. There is also a ton of big carp in there too. Good luck and keep us posted

EBAC
07-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Oh yeah and if you do go out in a boat or canoe or whatever be careful cause it can get really windy in the afternoons just from my experiences.

wineslob
07-26-2010, 08:00 AM
Well, got back on Sat. Fishing was slow, I only hooked up with one nice fish, a Brown that was about 3-3 1/2 lbs.
I tried Hex flies most evenings, as the hatch was "on". Lots of Hex's at dusk and for a couple of hours afterwards. Most of the fish I caught were 10-12 inchers, though there were bigger fish in the creek channel, probably upwards of 2-4 lbs, but they were VERY picky. They seemed to want a fly that was moving across the surface.
One thing I noticed, the color of the flies was muted this year, not the vibrant yellow I'm used to seeing.
Still I had a great time "hunting" fish, and I'll probably go back in Aug/Sept.