PDA

View Full Version : Great top water action

B Kane
07-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Last Friday night my twin godboys and their dad fished a small popular lake nearby and had great fishing. The boys are 8 now and can cast a fly rod better than most. Michael, the blues brother with the glasses on is actually working on his double haul.
We started out trolling(hardware) and got one 17"er, there were a few rises so we anchored and started throwing flies under bobbers at the rises. Had a few takes but couldn't hook them. Michael asks dad if he can throw topwater(dries) and gets a firm no. We miss a few more and again, " Dad can we throw topwater?" "No". A little while later Michael asks if he can practice his casting and asks if he can change to a dry so it would be easier to cast. His dad says ok but you won't catch any fish. He's casting great then a fish rises in his range so I tell him to cast in the ring and let it sit. I look away at his dad to talk when I here the distinctive sound of a rise. I look back and see Michael firmly hooked up with the rod bent fighting the fish. Matthew, formally aka Matty, grabs the net and lands an 18"er. This is all on 5x. Quickly his dad switches out his bobber for another dry. We ended up landing 6, all between 18-24". Neither of the boys broke any of them off. We ended up missing a few more also. They really know how to fight fish and quickly bring them in. Michael being the better caster hooked another and handed off the rod to his brother so he could bring it in. I'm so proud of both of them. I got to witness Michael's first line burn, gave me a warm fuzzy feeling. Needless to say, if we'd listened to Michael and switched over to topwater earlier we probably could have hooked a few more. You can see the buffs on the boys in the photo. That night hey slept in the buff wearing their buffs.

Hairstacker
07-13-2010, 05:37 PM
That's great! I learned a long time ago not to question my son's choice of tactics. :lol:

jbird
07-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Wow! That is a glorious rainbow! Super cool story.

Thanks for posting!

Reno Flytyer
07-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Beautiful fish & a better story! The boys faces reflect it all!
RFT

SHigSpeed
07-13-2010, 09:35 PM
WOW! What a fish! Not fair that the little guys can make it look that much bigger. :)

Thanks for sharing.

_SHig

OceanSunfish
07-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Wow!

Great Pic. Thanks for sharing. I know that taking my boys fishing, now that they are old enough to go, has brought the fun back to fishing for me.... It doesn't have to be flyfishing either....... Just take the kids fishing!

BTW, what is the make/model of boat in the picture, if you don't mind me asking. It looks very comfortable and safe for taking kids fishing in, etc. Please PM me if you don't want to broadcast to the world.

Thanks.

waynesyn
07-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Hi Oceansunfish,
The boat is a Triton 190FS. It is really wide and stable and has casting decks on the bow and stern. It seats 5 comfortably too. And with the wind shield the cold wind or the bugs are a non issue. It is a great lake boat but I bought it primarily for the delta. VERY safe and stable boat for kids.
WS

jigger
07-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Fantastic! WOW! Totally unexpected! Great story and a real beauty of a trout. Congrats to the boys:fish::cool:

OceanSunfish
07-14-2010, 09:43 PM
Hi Oceansunfish,
The boat is a Triton 190FS. It is really wide and stable and has casting decks on the bow and stern. It seats 5 comfortably too. And with the wind shield the cold wind or the bugs are a non issue. It is a great lake boat but I bought it primarily for the delta. VERY safe and stable boat for kids.
WS

Earl Benzt knows how to make a nice functional boat. In my advancing age, I certainly can appreciate the windshield and extra stability.

Please don't tell me you had the under deck rod lockers altered to accomdate fly rods! That would be just too sweet. Factory specs are to BASS length rods, but I figure with some extra $$$ they could make it work for 9' rods.

A BASS style boat is the way to go for the delta or lakes..... It truly is....

OSF