PDA

View Full Version : big cat

leemar
07-12-2010, 09:46 AM
I was out fishing my local pond and when the sun came out I went from my topwater frog to a size 10 damsel emerger. I started catching LMB right away but then had a large bite on my 5 weight. As I brought in the fish I saw it was a huge catfish. I boga the fish at 9 lbs. I couldnt believe this fish would hit a size 10 fly but even more surprised were the spinning guys fishing fishing big rubber stuff with numerous treble hooks. I tried to explain that the fish in this pond wait till the food starts to appear and then they feed, but they were not buying it and cast it off to luck. Anyway I added about 30 LMB to the mix and was out of there by noon. Ya gotta love flyfishing...Lee

ARichcrook
07-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Did the big cat come up for it or were you down on the bottom?

leemar
07-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Its only about 5-8 ft where I caught it. I was using an I line(slow sink)

Steve R
07-13-2010, 09:59 AM
From Big Bluff Ranch this weekend. Testing new black woolybugger(8 or 6) for wife on small shoreline Bass, all stop, a 12 lb whisker fish.

leemar
07-13-2010, 01:07 PM
I love it!!!nice gut on that fish.....

Pimpinmeat
08-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Believe it or not, catfish are a apex predator in fresh water. They will eat everything, I once caught a 5lber in a pond that ate a bumble bee fly I was using to bluegill and bass. I was shocked to see that come up and grab that fly.

gene goss
08-14-2010, 02:22 PM
The channel cats have a smaller mouth, and head then any other catfish...they like there food alive, small fish, bugs, crawdads,frogs,etc. They will move to the flats, and the back part of a cove with the coming of darkness. Folson Lake, and other foothills lake have some nice channel cats that could be caught on a fly rod...i think...a floattub, floating line, and a little juice on a black wiggle tail just might work....i'll let you know.