PDA

View Full Version : Guide recommendations for Eagle Lake?

TedK
07-11-2010, 08:23 PM
Hi - I'll be fishing at Eagle Lake in late September. I've never fished there before, so I'd like to hire a guide while I'm there. Obviously, I'm aware of Jay Fair, but I'm guessing that he may be pretty booked up for the fall, so would love to get some other recommendations. Thanks!

jayclarkflyfishing
07-12-2010, 07:35 AM
Jon Baiocchi of Baiocchi's Troutfitters knows Eagle as well as anybody and is a great guy to boot.
530.228.0487 (cell)

Call him up!

Jay

Troutstalker55B
07-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the props Jay! I'm going to take you up there in late Oct. or Nov. - Your gonna really dig it!

Jon.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-12-2010, 04:17 PM
I think most people fly fish or troll flies at Eagle Lake near Susanville in the spring when it first opens for a week or two, particularly if we have a cool spring. Fish are usually shallow then.

In the summer the fish are supposed to be deeper around springs. I am sure you could dredge them up but don't hear much about that time of year.

Then they fish it in the fall as it cools off in October.

November is the most popular month but Jay Fair likes December too.

I think it closes on December 31?

I think that is good general info on the lake but someone might have more feedback.

Troutstalker55B
07-13-2010, 06:08 AM
Spot on Bill, I like Eagle in spring because it's not so cold - I have fished the pond when it was 9 degrees out, but still hooking fish. In late Sept. depending on how hot it is there will be bait balls of chubs as big as a full size truck. Rainbows will come into the shallows and work like cattle dogs and herd the chubs and attack - It is something see! After that game is done the fish seek shoals, points and tulles. Scuds, wiggle tails, and chub patterns work well and Jay really likes the color rust then. There are many ways to fish Eagle, I prefer Jay's way of fishing from the bank and stalking those skinny water feeders. Tom Lowe likes to fish a bobber with scud patterns near the springs, he has had some huge number days with this technique. In December when the snow makes access a problem, the circus grounds in the south lake is good and right off the road. I do not take my boat out after November - Icy roads and boat ramps have caused many heart aches for me, so I choose to drive to a spot and fish from the bank. The lake does close Dec. 31st, I wish it was the same for Lake Davis - those fish need a break! Low water is the main problem right now at Eagle, tulles are high and dry and many of the scud beds are as well. But once you hook into a large Eagle lake rainbow your life is forever changed, it's just like steelheading - Everything else in your life is in the rear view mirror.

Jon.

Troutstalker55B
07-13-2010, 06:19 AM
One more thing to add, It is key to be on the pond at first legal light! Other good times are 11am and 1pm, after that it is pretty much done. There can be a few fish to stalk in the evening as well but nothing like first light.

Jon.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-13-2010, 08:31 AM
Thanks Jon

__________________________________________________ ________________________

I listened to lake guide Jay Fair give a talk on fly fishing Eagle Lake once:

He does not like "blue bird" weather.....he would rather it be nasty than clear and calm.

He likes to wade, rather than fish from a boat. He uses a boat to gety around though.

He moves his flies extremely slow.

He likes to go out very early.

__________________________________________________ __________________________

I think he still uses a 9' #6 line fly rod with a floating fly line if it is calm and a true intermediate fly line (not clear) if it windy and choppy.

He uses a 12' leader to 3x tippet.