PDA

View Full Version : New Mexico Trout?

El Rey
07-11-2010, 04:09 PM
My wife and I will be attending a conference in Santa Fe in mid October. Would like to spend some time fishing local trout streams, but we've never been there before.

Any info would be appreciated. Fly shops, websites, guides, etc.? I'll do some google research myself, but first-hand experience is most valuable and helpful.

Thanks in advance.

El Rey/Harlan

SteelieD
07-11-2010, 05:51 PM
http://www.ifly4trout.com/

Jay
07-12-2010, 12:08 PM
I had an absolutely wonderful time fishing the Cimmaron River a couple years ago. Fish arent very big, probably average 11-12" but there are a heck of a lot of them. I would love to go back. Just a very cool, little, fun, tailwater fishery. I stopped in the flyshop in Eagle Nest, and the people were great, cant remember the name though. About an hour drive from Santa Fe.

Chet Troutpuncher
07-13-2010, 10:04 AM
It's not super-close to Santa Fe but I stayed in Taos ten years ago, fished the Red River and had pretty good success. It was early November but beyond that it was too long ago to remember where and what exactly I fished. Nonetheless, I remember having a really good time despite it being really cold.

Victor Yee
07-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Years ago, I came across this river and somehow, the name Cimmaron conjured up images of the old west and I knew I had to fish it. And although I can't remember much other than I had fun catching medium sized browns, -whenever I mentioned places I've been, rivers I've fished, I've always mentioned the Cimmaron as if I'm the "chosen" one. It's kind of weird how a simple name of a river, stream, or a creek stand out and you just feel privileged to fish it. Any other "names" that captures that feeling and stands out? I have another one: the Tongue River in WY.

El Rey
07-13-2010, 11:18 PM
Thank you to all who responded both on and off the Board. Lots of good info. Appreciate it greatly. Now I just have to bide my time until we travel there in October. But then there is a lot of fishing here in Northern California to keep my mind off other things until then.

Thanks again,

Harlan/El Rey