PDA

View Full Version : Davis Lake Perch

gene goss
07-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Four of us fished Davis Lake 7-7 - 7-10....the first 3 days we had clouds and afternoon thunder storms everyday....the water temp was droping a little everday....there was a very early morning grab, on a couple of the shallow bays next to a point on the west side....and with the cloud cover, and a light wind, the trout would come up to feed on the callibaetis,midges,caddis,and a few damsels....then the wind would come up, or the sun would come out and the trout would go down....with a floating line and something in a size 14 (calliibaetis nymph tan and grey) or a damsel nymph would work. In between times i would use a intermediate line and a size 10 black wiggle tail. We all caught enough fish....nothing over 19 inches. Also there is eveing grab at Jenkins. Maybe someone can tell me what kind of perch this is???

Darian
07-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Kinda looks like a Green Sunfish.... :confused:

David Lee
07-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Hybrid - looks like Green Sunnie mixed with Pumpkinseed , or perhaps Redear . Notice no Cream fin borders ?? The Blue 'lightning blots' on the cheeks are shared by Greenies and Pumpkinseeds ..... No Red border on the gill 'ear' , so most likely Greenie/Pumpkinseed .

D.~

michaeln
07-11-2010, 05:06 PM
I agree, it looks like the green sunfish that infest Martis Lake. Guess it's time to drain and poison Davis again. Where'd I leave that tanker truck full of Rotenone?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-11-2010, 10:15 PM
When we were very young we called those "Warm Mouth Bass".

Like a Blue Gill but they have a bigger mouth.

I think they are actually called a Green Sunfish.....

jayclarkflyfishing
07-12-2010, 07:31 AM
That is a red ear sunfish.

Jay

Mike O
07-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Looks like a fish taco to me

Jgoding
07-12-2010, 08:50 AM
As David said, it's part greeny for sure. Not a bad sized one either. They can be beautiful fish as I used to have a one in my tank time to time. One made me mad because I rescued it from a rice field puddle, then it killed my fish I put it in with (which you can't get anymore, or maybe I shouldn't of had in the first place but I did buy it at a aquarium store), then 2 days later jumps out to his death......

Darian
07-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Probably was depressed cause he ate all the available food.... :lol: