PDA

View Full Version : Camp ground near Baum Lake?

Anne Vitale
07-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Hi folks... I thought I would get away next weekend and fish Baum Lake. I've never fished it before. I'll be taking my VW Vanagen and will need a place some where near the lake to camp. Any body know of a camp ground or RV park in the general area? Thanks...

Anne

michaeln
07-09-2010, 04:29 PM
There is the PG&E Cassel Campground very nearby. As you come in toward Baum lake off of Cassel road (left on Baum Lake Road) when you get to the actual turn into the Baum Lake parking lot (which is a LEFT turn on a paved road), there will be a nicely graded dirt road going up the hill on the RIGHT.

Note there is a sign there that says "CAMPGROUND ->" or words to that effect. Turn right there and head up and over the hill... it will take you right to the Cassel PG&E campground.

There are about 20-30 sites with paved parking pads, no hookups and with water faucets spread around the area, vault toilets. Each site has a picnic table and a fire ring and a bear box (yes, there are black bears in the area so you should use the bear box).

It's overpriced for what it is ($22/night and they don't even have lights in the restrooms.... and it's run by PG&E!!!), but it's very close to Baum Lake.

Frankly, next time I go there I intend to camp at either http://hatcreekrv.com/index.htm or http://www.rancheriarv.com/index.htm. They seem to be a better value to me and are still reasonably close to Baum Lake.

I really enjoy Baum Lake (been there five times in the last year and am going again soon), I hope you have a great time!

El Rey
07-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Highly recommend Hereford Hat Creek Ranch

http://www.hatcreekrv.com/

It's a few miles down 89 at the booming town of Hat Creek, off the Doty Rd loop. It has clean, lighted washrooms with hot showers. There is even a pond there with stocked trout. It costs to fish there.

We had a group get together there in June.

Cheers,
El Rey

michaeln
07-09-2010, 04:56 PM
I agree, it looks like a way better place to stay than that bare bones expensive PG&E campground.

JohnS
07-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Hereford Ranch is a great place to go camping. The NCFFB has a get together in June every year and we've gone there for the past six or so years. Peggy, the hostess, is wonderful and they maintain a family place (even the weekend they had 150 bikers come in). The hot showers (part of the camping fee) are wonderful. They have tents sites, full hookups and water/electric sites.

What type of camping are you going to do? Let me know and I'll tell you which site to request

JohnS

Hibbygibi
07-09-2010, 05:23 PM
No brainer.. Hetford is the place.. Been going there for the past decade. Well run and kept clean. Some very nice tent sites on grass are available as well as some nice RV sites.

you will enjoy it.

Hi folks... I thought I would get away next weekend and fish Baum Lake. I've never fished it before. I'll be taking my VW Vanagen and will need a place some where near the lake to camp. Any body know of a camp ground or RV park in the general area? Thanks...

Anne

Anne Vitale
07-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Thanks folks....what a great resource this Board is. In the end, given that it is the middle of summer, I may have to take what ever I can get. Fortunately I will be driving up in my self contained VW Vanagen so I don't need much other than a safe place to park and a shower (if available.) Thanks again....Anne

michaeln
07-10-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm anxious to get up to Baum again soon, but it's been pretty beastly hot in that area for a while, and I'm thinking it won't start cooling off until after Labor Day.

Fortunately, the water stays at a pretty constant cool temperature all year, so if your body can stand the air temperature, the fishing should still be good.

Bryan Morgan
07-10-2010, 06:18 PM
I will second that motion for Hereford Hat Creek Ranch. They have hot showers for tent or trailer camping. I dont know if they still do, but they used to have a trout pond on the property. Watch out for the manure piles.

joshfish
07-10-2010, 08:25 PM
just made the loop from redding up 44 across 89 and down 299 back home. stopped by all the camp grounds along 89 to check out and plan a camping trip for next month. my favorite ones are cave campground and hon campground. bridge campground was nice also. cassel campground i dont think is worth the $22 a night. id rather stay at hon a few miles down 89 for $10 a night. plus its right on hat creek. didnt stop by hereford ranch but hear it is real nice. also i suggest going up 299 instead of 44 as they are doing road construction.

michaeln
07-11-2010, 10:42 AM
my favorite ones are cave campground and hon campground. bridge campground was nice also.

I have never heard of those. Are they private campgrounds, state, NFS, what? Where are they and why were they your favorites?

michaeln
07-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Never mind, found 'em:

Bridge Campground
Located on Hwy 89, along Hat Creek, 4 miles north of the Juction of Hwy 44 in Old Station
Length of Stay: 14 Days
Number of Sites: 25 Campsites
Elevation: 4,000 Feet
Reservation Status: Not Accepted
Reservation: No

Cave Campground
Elevation: 4,300 Feet
Number of Sites: 46 Campsites bordering Hat Creek
Elevation: 4,300 Feet
Season: Late April - October
Located on Highway 89 1/4 mile north of the junction of Hwy 44 & Hwy 89 in Old Station

Honn Creek Campground
Elevation: 3,400 Feet
Reservation Status: Not Accepted
Season: Late April - October

Mike O
07-11-2010, 03:05 PM
The rancheria has a private lake with huge bows in it for C&R. It is great to get up early and watch them feed the fish dog food...they are scary big footballs.

Also, another option (Further away, but not much further than Bridge CG) is www.hatcreekresortrv.com in Old Station. They have a section of the creek (stocked) on the edge of the CG. We stay in a cabin up there every year and it is nice. They are real close to Lassen and Manzanita Lake too.

MAO

joshfish
07-11-2010, 09:05 PM
michaeln i like those because the sites seem to have the most room. hat creek resort seemed to be real crammed together and a couple of the other campgrounds didnt seem to have much shade. plus we are planning a camp trip with a couple other families so for $60 a night we could rent the entire honn campground and not have to worry about quiet time or bothering anybody.