PDA

View Full Version : Kenai River guide suggestions please...

stokedphishin
07-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Howdy folks,

Headed up to Alaska in the middle of next month and really need some suggestions for a guide up there.
I plan to fish the Kenai Peninsula for big bows and dollys mostly, and would like to get into some silvers.
I've talked to a few guys up there but not sure I want to pull the trigger just yet...would be great if anybody had some suggestions. At least then I will have at least some idea of what to expect.

Thanks a lot!

michaeln
07-08-2010, 04:37 PM
When I was up there in August about 15 years ago, a guy who was staying at the lodge where we were staying came back one evening with a 76 lb Chinook. Mighta been the ugliest fish I have ever seen.... black head, huge kype jaw, the rest of his body was all copper-colored.

While we were up there we heard that a drag boat down in Cook Inlet netted a 120 lb Chinook dragging near the mouth of the Kenai.

Why are you going to the Kenai for trout and dollies?

stokedphishin
07-08-2010, 05:08 PM
actually...the silvers should be in the system a little bit from what I hear, and I plan to do lots of fishing for them....just gonna be there for a few weeks so I wanted to get into some giant rainbows and dollys too.

Bob Laskodi
07-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Matt Duncan, X-Stream Alaska Fishing, 907-223-0381, madmattduncan@alaska.net,
Here is some examples of the ultimate in recommendations!!!
http://www.flyfishingaddicts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2326

Wren
07-08-2010, 09:56 PM
I was there about 5 years ago. I used AK Troutfitters. I believe they are in Cooper Landing. They know the Kenai area really well. Look them at up aktroutfitters.com.

Chrome junior
07-09-2010, 01:50 PM
I worked for Alaska Troutfitters and was a resident for 15 yrs, you cant go wrong with any of these guides. Billy and Dusty coulliette are good friends of mine and owner operators. they both guide but are often booked. Carl or Jason also guide for Troutfiters and know these waters extensively and they are just darn good ppl and my truly good friends. I have worked side by side these boys and fished with them and they know where the fish live and often they are huge fish. If you want to call me My name is Guy my number is 925 360-3043 i can give you more information on alternative guides if troutfitters are booked.

Sincerely Chrome Jr

fishbonz
07-20-2010, 08:29 AM
It's been about 8 years, but Kenai Cache had very good guides for floating the Upper Kenai when I floated one Labor Day weekend for trout. AK Troutfitters do too and I've heard good things about that too. If you are interested in the Lower Kenai, look up Big Sky Charters, which is run by Joe Connor, who used to be president of the Kenai guides association, and was a professor at University of Alaska in Anchorage. His number is 907-262-9496 (or at least it used to be.....) he has a great house on the Kenai, with nice cabins on his property to rent. But he will probably be fishing conventional gear for silvers.....

Or if you don't mind a short drive, Seward has a great saltwater silver fishery in mid August, when their salmon derby takes place...... I'll be up there the week prior...

fishbonz
08-17-2010, 10:26 AM
I just returned from my Alaska trip. though I did not use a guide, I met one while at Gwin's Lodge in Cooper Landing. His name was Stacy and he is co-owner of Mystic Waters guide service on the Upper Kenai. Really nice guy, concerned with getting guys on fish. he was guiding a guy and his 2 kids around 10 and 12. I will strongly consider him if I get the chance to return and float the upper Kenai. He said he books out a year in advance with about 70% repeat business and the rest new clients. a good sign. he also suggested Alaska Troutfitters as an alternative......

BTW had a great time exploring Quartz Creek, not far from Cooper landing. It has mostly Dolly Varden trout and char, with only a few rainbows being caught. biggest fish was 23" dolly, with several caught over 20" size!!