PDA

View Full Version : Wader Repair

michaeln
07-08-2010, 12:18 PM
I have a pair of the Redington CPX Zip Front waders. I've been very happy with them.

Yesterday when I was taking them off I noticed that the tape on the heel area of the neoprene stocking foot is starting to come loose. They do have a warranty, but I'd have to send them in and pay 30 bucks. I'd rather re-glue that tape myself.

I have Pliobond, Aquaseal, and Shoe Goo here. I wonder which of them would be the best adhesive to use for this re-gluing? I am leaning toward Aquaseal because I know it is recommended for fixing leaks in breathable waders, but I am not sure it is the right adhesive for this particular repair.

Suggestions?

PS: Before you suggest I ask Redington, I already have. Their warranty repair service is pretty lame. For instance, a small plastic part of the suspenders broke. I asked them to send me the part and they responded with a form letter asking me to fill out the attached wader repair form (which wasn't attached) and return it and the product "without the rod tube and sock" along with payment of $30. I ended up fixing the part with a small ziptie, and I'd rather avoid dealing with those nitwits.

Jaybinder
07-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Aquaseal is the way to go. When I was young and broke I repaird my wetsuit 20 or 30 times with that stuff. That suit lasted me 4 winters and it was used when I bought it.

Scott V
07-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Jay hit it right on the nose, Aquaseal.

IronMtn
07-08-2010, 12:58 PM
I had the same problem with my waders (also redington) a couple seasons ago and used shoe goo. So far it's been great. I've probably easily put 75 days of hard wading on them since. I have noticed that the very outside edge of the glue is starting to come loose though.

I think the secret to a home fix like this is to get the goo (or whatever you use) to thin out a little so it wicks into the neoprene. Otherwise, in a high friction area like the heel of a booty, it won't stand a chance.

huntindog
07-08-2010, 02:21 PM
for me wader repair goes like this...every year or two send back to cabelas...one week later get new waders. seems to be working. :D

Jgoding
07-08-2010, 02:54 PM
I should order from Cabelas I guess. I'm having issue with a pair of Orvis Endura..... both seems on the legs just seep water like crazy now even though they look perfectly intact/sealed. Hopefully I can get them replaced as they started leaking about a year after purchase but it wasn't too bad so I put up with it. UV wader repair helped a lot for a few months but I'm not putting up with it anymore.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-08-2010, 03:59 PM
The tape on the neoprene feet/booties on stocking foot waders is mostly for cosmetics but I would fix it overnight with AquaSeal.

michaeln
07-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Thanks everyone, Aquaseal it shall be. Since I fished in 'em yesterday and don't plan on fishing in 'em again in the near future, I will let them air dry for a couple days before I do the repair.

Mike R
07-09-2010, 08:16 AM
After you slather the aquaseal on, lay some thin plastic (a ziploc baggie works well) over the patch and squish it around so you get good coverage. Just leave the plastic stuck to it as it dries. When it is cured just peel it off. This also allows you to get nice flat patches that don't feel like rocks in your boots forever or get torn off if you snag your waders on something.

Wish I could explain it better, but it works.

Mike

wjorg
07-15-2010, 06:38 PM
I should order from Cabelas I guess. I'm having issue with a pair of Orvis Endura..... both seems on the legs just seep water like crazy now even though they look perfectly intact/sealed. Hopefully I can get them replaced as they started leaking about a year after purchase but it wasn't too bad so I put up with it. UV wader repair helped a lot for a few months but I'm not putting up with it anymore.

Take advantage of Orvis' 100% satisfaction guarantee. Keep taking them back....

amoeba
07-15-2010, 07:07 PM
I use the aquaseal with cotol accelerator. Yes, as already posted, make the repair as thin as possible.

I'd save the $30. I never send waders back. All waders leak, no matter what you paid for them. Simms last a little longer, but they seem to be hot to hike in (outside of water), don't fit my apparently fat legs, and I could get about 100 tubes of aquaseal for their extra cost.

As far as the abrading of the neoprene bootfoot, I would recommend a pair of large socks over this bootfoot before putting on wading shoes on your next new pair of waders; I've done this and the bootfeet and stitching last forever. Without it, you wear it out at the heel.

SHigSpeed
07-15-2010, 07:17 PM
I use the aquaseal with cotol accelerator. Yes, as already posted, make the repair as thin as possible.

I'd save the $30. I never send waders back. All waders leak, no matter what you paid for them. Simms last a little longer, but they seem to be hot to hike in (outside of water), don't fit my apparently fat legs, and I could get about 100 tubes of aquaseal for their extra cost.

As far as the abrading of the neoprene bootfoot, I would recommend a pair of large socks over this bootfoot before putting on wading shoes on your next new pair of waders; I've done this and the bootfeet and stitching last forever. Without it, you wear it out at the heel.

Interesting idea of putting socks OVER waders. Not as much help keeping the feet warm, but if wear is a problem, couldn't hurt!

BTW, I'm sure you meant "stockingfoot". Putting boots over bootfoot waders would be tough. :)

_SHig

SHigSpeed
07-15-2010, 07:18 PM
I could get about 100 tubes of aquaseal for their extra cost.

Could you imagine waders made from Aquaseal? They'd be bulletproof! Imaging lathering up in Vaseline and spreading a thin layer of Aquaseal all over and waiting to peel 'em off?

Nah, probably wouldn't "breathe" well, but clear waders would be sweet! :)

_SHig

wjorg
07-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Im sure if you ask nicely, Orvis will refund the shipping. LL Bean made the industry standard guarantee and they will.

I fin the seam tape on the inside of the waders goes before the outside. Dont peek at the inside of your Simms waders, the seam tape is already peeled. How much you wanna bet? Let me send mine in before you do... : )