PDA

View Full Version : Fuller Lake, Wednesday 7/7

michaeln
07-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Since I think they stocked Fuller last week, I am heading up there in the morning. I'll fish all day and then spend the night at a HoJo in Rocklin.

Scott V
07-06-2010, 06:31 PM
I'll join you tomorrow. I should be there around 4:30 or so. I will be in the blue fishcat float tube with a rack on it.

SHigSpeed
07-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Since I think they stocked Fuller last week, I am heading up there in the morning. I'll fish all day and then spend the night at a HoJo in Rocklin.

I didn't even know there was a HoJo in my neck of the woods!

Good luck guys, leave some for Saturday...

_SHig

fishngy
07-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Right off of I-80 at the Rocklin Road exit. Many years ago, I would always tell my kids someday we are going to stay there for the night. It always got quiet in the back of the van. Then the whining would start again from the back of the van. "Why would we stay there???" Plus dirty looks from the wife......mmmm good times. We never did visit even though we live in Rocklin. Good luck fishing at Fuller Lake. I am going to Sugar Pine Lake with the boat without flyrods for the morning. Later, Bill

CapitalFishr
07-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Fuller is on now, you guys should do real well. I fished it this weekend with kayak and 3 weight and it was on. Pretty much a grab or fish constantly. All browns.

Scott V
07-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the info Capital, I plan on using my 3 weight with an intermediate line. I have had alot of success at Fuller, and if you get there at the right time it is fish after fish.

B Kane
07-07-2010, 11:05 AM
I've never fished at Fuller Lake so I'm curious about when the fishing is good. I've been reading the posts on this board and am not sure if good fishing is purely a matter of the truck dumping a bunch of fish in or the lake conditions becoming optimal. Are most of the fish caught when it's on recent plants or are there a lot of hold over fish as well?

Scott V
07-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Fuller can be good for a while after the plants. But of course it is much better right after the plant. I got a descent amount a month ago before they did nay planting. the main thing I have found with Fuller is that the fish can be found all over the lake, near the shore and out in the middle. And they plant alot of fish when they do plant. Keep a eye on the DFG website for when they plant. If you see that they planted at Fuller that week go their the following weekend. Most of your fisherman or bait people fishing from shore, I have never been crowded on Fuller due to other tubes or boats.

michaeln
07-08-2010, 03:40 AM
Fuller is great if you enjoy catching lots of 8-10" rubber trout. Personally, I don't, I'd rather let the little guys grow up a little first.

SHigSpeed
07-08-2010, 06:34 AM
Fuller is great if you enjoy catching lots of 8-10" rubber trout. Personally, I don't, I'd rather let the little guys grow up a little first.

Too bad in general they get eaten by bald eagles, osprey, and people before they do. For some reason DFG has been putting really dinky fish in there lately.

It's definitely a fishing for grabs lake though. It has it's niche, and it fills it well for me.

_SHig

Scott V
07-08-2010, 07:33 AM
I had one of the worst days for me at Fuller last night. Kept getting short bit, never got a single fish to hand. Had a nice rainbow on that got all the way to my tube but it came unbuttoned right next to me. I think the fish were deeper, the top water temp was 70, saw fish rising but could not get them to bite. Had plenty of fish following also. Got most of my bites slow trolling which I can not stand doing.

michaeln
07-08-2010, 07:54 AM
My Fishin' Buddy 140c reported 70 degrees when I launched at 8AM. By the end of the day, most places it was showing 72-73 degrees. Aside from the first fish that I caught at about 8:05AM right in front of the dam on a midge / bobber (suspended just about 1 foot under the film), the other nine were caught trolling with an I-line and Sheep's Creek, Wiggle Tail or Fox's Poophah in orange. Most came on the Poopah.

I even tried deep indicator midging with a 30' leader and quick release bobber and the chironomids suspended so the bottom one was about a foot off the bottom in 25' of water and the upper was about 3 feet above it. Not a bump. I cut one of my apples in half and watched it turn brown for some excitement.

Strangely, I saw several fish cruising in 3-5 feet of water by where the inlet (which is not inletting.... no water coming in) tails out... and the temperature there, in full sun, early afternoon was 74. Why would they stay there? Clear water, too warm, no cover, and cooler deeper water not far away.... it's a puzzler!

I caught all the troll fish in 18-20 feet of water, wherever the water temperature decreased by a degree or two. I think the fish were staying down in cooler depths and occasionally my I line trolled real slow would get the fly down enough to entice them to come up for it. Note that the Poopah is a BH and I got the most takes on that one.

You guys better bring lead core or downriggers Saturday. That lake is warming up fast.

B Kane
07-08-2010, 09:11 AM
I'm still trying to learn a bit more about trolling a fly since it's been mentioned several times in this thread and seems to be a popular fishing method. Do you actually troll like fishing spinning gear? Do you cast or just let the line out as you fin along? Is there any actual retrieve involved? What lines are best? Sounds like it would be a good way for a novice to get into fish.

Sounds like the fishing is real slow up at Fuller right now. 70 degrees could really stress those fish out.

michaeln
07-08-2010, 09:33 AM
I'm still trying to learn a bit more about trolling a fly since it's been mentioned several times in this thread and seems to be a popular fishing method. Do you actually troll like fishing spinning gear? Do you cast or just let the line out as you fin along? Is there any actual retrieve involved? What lines are best? Sounds like it would be a good way for a novice to get into fish.

It's boring as hell though, and with those miniature trout in Fuller it's sometimes difficult to even tell you have one on.

What I do is this: 4 or 5 weight 9 foot rod with an Intermediate or Type II sinking line. 9' 4X to 6X leader. For flies, you can troll most anything, but I have had my best results with an olive or rootbeer colored wiggletail, Sheep's Creek Special and Fox's Poopah. I strip out 50' to 90' of line and wiggle it out of the rod tip and start either finning or rowing slowly.

For me there is no retrieve while trolling, but I do vary the strips as I bring it in to check for salad on the fly (which I do about every 10 minutes). I have had takes while stripping it in to check it but have never actually landed a fish doing that.

I speed up and slow down and make LOTS of S-turns. When you turn it will either speed up or slow down the fly, and I think I get most of the takes while turning.

michaeln
07-08-2010, 11:56 AM
There is also a more specialized method of trolling with a fly, popularized by the Guru of Eagle Lake, Jay Fair, hereinafter referred as to the JFTS (Jay Fair Trolling System).

JFTS is usually done from a boat with a trolling motor (the speed is somewhat steady compared to doing it while finning or rowing). The rig is a length of leadcore line, 15-30 feet depending on how deep you want to fish. On the reel end you'll have dacron backing attached to a floating running line of 100 feet or so. The running line gets looped to the leadcore line, and from the leadcore you run a straight 8lb test leader to the fly that is 30 to 40 feet long. Jay uses his specially developed Jay Fair Trolling Flies for this:

http://sierrastreamflyshop.com/images/JF%20Trolling%20Fly.jpg

http://prostores4.carrierzone.com/stores/s/stevesfishingsuppliescom/catalog/trolling_AAB.jpg

They are available in several colors and they are pretty large (about 2 1/2 inches with a large hook to match), designed for the larger than average Eagle Lake rainbows in Eagle Lake. I've never caught a fish on them elsewhere.

When Jay does the JFTS, the boat speed is steady, but every few seconds he throws a mend into the floating running line. That jerks the fly forward and then drops it back again as the mend comes back in line. That movement makes the marabou (and there is LOTS of marabou in those flies) contract and then "bloom".

I find the JFTS to be a PITA to use when rowing. I can see it being effective from a motorized craft, but just dealing with that 40' leader is a major pain in a rowed boat.

There is a modification of the JFTS developed by Jon Baiocchi that replaces the floating line and backing with one of the super braid lines like Spectra Power Pro 30# test. The braid is very thin and very strong and does not float, so you can't do the mend thing, but you could always raise the rod tip and drop it to get a similar effect. That's the method I have used, but I have not been very successful with it.

medfly
07-08-2010, 10:19 PM
trolling for stockers, yea, i think ill stay home

Bryan Morgan
07-09-2010, 04:38 PM
I have fished this lake for many years, and it is not at all complicated. Get down deep, ( I use a shooting Head) and jig through the stumps on the East side of the lake near the grassy structure on that side. You can use a Sheeps Creek but a Green Bugger with Flashabou will do the trick. But you may still have to put up with the occasional planter.

wineslob
07-12-2010, 07:35 AM
trolling for stockers, yea, i think ill stay home

You can go just up the road from Fuller (I don't like it either) and fish Blue Lake, it's got really nice 'Bows.