PDA

View Full Version : Deschutes Summer Steelhead

Fats
07-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Anybody have some or ideas on how to pull this off? Places to camp or stay etc, what to expect?

Mike R
07-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Simple version:
First, find Maupin on a map. Second, go there.

Complicated version:
Maupin is where you want to start. From there you can either go upstream to Locked Gate or downstream to the canyon. There are a few places to eat, some small stores, and a couple fly shops (the Hazels' Deschutes Angler being one). There are campgrounds along the river in the area and some rough camping sites if you can avoid being run off by the federali's. If you can get yourself to Maupin, it's pretty easy from there.

Mike

shawn kempkes
07-02-2010, 12:11 PM
It depends on when you want to go. If I was going in july/august I would camp at the state park at heritage landing. If you plan on camping there make reservations on the state park website. From there you can fish or hike both sides of the river. Your best bet during that time is to be in the lower river when a pod of fish comes thru there.

Ideally you would have a mountain bike and ride the trail / road bed on the east side of the river you can literally go all the way to macks canyon on a mountain bike and camp on a run some where.

By september and october the fish are spread out throughout the whole river and it doesnt really matter where you fish. My favorite campground is beavertail along the road to macks.
If you have a pontoon boat you can make the drifts from pine tree to beavertail one day and then drift from beavertail to macks the next day and make a two day trip out of it.

There are several people that will shuttle your rig for about $50.00. Its well worth it. I did the mountain bike shuttle once at the end of the day and it sucks.

get somebody at kienes to order this book for you

http://www.kaufmannsstreamborn.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Kaufmanns.woa/1/nobkmark/XFl75uMTcRtCKsqj0r0ChM/0.0.0.17.0.15.3.8.1.5.3s