PDA

View Full Version : Air travel with flies and reels

jrib
07-02-2010, 08:16 AM
Having never travelled with fly gear I was wondering if airport security allows you to take fly boxes and reels etc as carry ons or can those be considered weapons?

steve2010
07-02-2010, 08:32 AM
I've carried on flies, reels and rods on both domestic and international flights.
Never been stopped but perhaps I've just been lucky.
In my mind the flies are a little bit iff'y so I try to check them in or mail them ahead of time to my destination.

chapmag
07-02-2010, 08:36 AM
I've carried on my 4 piece rods and reels and lines on several domestic flights. No problems with either my 5 weight or my switch rod. But I've gotten jealous comments from the TSA guys :)

I put my flies, nippers, etc. in checked luggage.

Mike O
07-02-2010, 09:23 AM
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1188.shtm

Quote:
<< Tackle Equipment
Fishing equipment should be placed in your checked baggage. Some tackle equipment can be considered sharp and dangerous. Expensive reels or fragile tackle such as fly's should be packed in your carry-on baggage.>>

That being said...CALL THE AIRLINES FIRST - Fly rods are ok, if they fit in the Overhead compartments. Southwest will check them at the gate if they won't, and put them in upfront (safer) storage. I have flown with 2piece 9 foot rods, and they fit in the overhead.

Then print this and take it with you.

PMD
07-02-2010, 09:28 AM
I've taken 1 large suitcase and fit my 4 pc. 9' rod in it's tube diagonally. Along with the waders and boots and everything else.

jrib
07-02-2010, 09:54 AM
thanks for the advice. I think I will carry on rods, reels and flies. Printing the TSA form is a great idea. Thanks! I am Alaska bound!!!!!!!!

Cmcculloch
07-02-2010, 02:58 PM
In my experience Alaska Air goes a long ways out of their way to accomodate anglers. It is a high percentage of their customers. If you open a Visa card through Alaska Air you get enough points for a free RT trip. They also have $50 companion fares when accompanied by regular fare passenger.

I'm just a customer, not representing the airline or Visa.

Tfisher
07-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Check your flies in your luggage. On my way home from Vancouver (after returning from Alaska) I had accidentally left some flies in my vest (which was in my carry on) before jumping on the plane. TSA had me remove the flies from my vest and then send them via mail after I went through customs. It was a long 3 week wait for the flies. (About $100 worth of tackle, and it cost me about $20 to send them home.)

jburge
07-05-2010, 07:21 PM
jrib,

Just returned from a quick weekend in Florida... I had no checked luggage, just carry-on. In my carry-on, I had all my flies, leader, and reel. I hand carried my rod. No problems anywhere. I made it a point though, to NOT carry my line nippers or hemo's. That said, it pays to check with both your airline and TSA. Have fun!

John

Fats
07-05-2010, 08:59 PM
I had a close call once (in 2002) with flies going though security. I had to song and dance them to get me to let me bring the bass bugs on... I did end up losing the nippers, hemostats and a knot tying tool...

I'd check the flies but carry on the reels and sunglasses and such.

Mike O
07-06-2010, 08:12 AM
why did they take hemos? They arent scissors?? weird

Dave E.
07-06-2010, 08:33 AM
No hemo’s, no lighters, no smoking on board.

Best, Dave

amoeba
07-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Dave E.'s post is incorrect:

lighters used to be excluded from both carryon and checked. Now, you can bring two standard lighters, with fuel in them, in a carry on. You cannot check them. They cannot be non-standard length or size, like a torch lighter that you would light a lantern, stove, or campfire with. I believe you can take a couple books of standard matches, but not strike anywhere matches. And not a whole bunch of matches.

TSA does seem to check thoroughly for flammables such as this and remove everything in packed bags and put a note in there that says they took one or more of a list of banned items out (they don't say what - but it's usually matches or lighters).