PDA

View Full Version : san joaquin river ?

alamopc
07-01-2010, 09:10 AM
does anyone have any info on fishing on the stretch of the san joaquin river between italian bar and the dam of mammoth pool reservoir ? and what's the best access-the most convenient entry point would be from the big creek road cutoff at camp sierra but i don't know if it goes all the way to the river. any info would be appreciated

troutbm
07-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Call the troutfitter in mammoth for a good report. Still some runoff going up that way. The upper owens would be a great alternative. It's fishing epic right now !

Dave Neal
07-10-2010, 08:01 PM
troutbm: The area in question on the San Joaquin is WAAAAAY down river on the SJ from Mammoth Lakes area - accessed from the westside of the Sierra.

Here out of Mammoth Lakes we fish the MF of the San Joaquin just a few miles from headwaters at Thousand Island Lakes all the way down below Rainbow Falls.

But you are correct the runoff on the SJ is raging right now, still a little longer until prime time even as far up river as we are.

Upper Owens is turning on pretty well, still a little high and off color but we have fished it a few times this week. The caddis in the evening have offered spectacular dry fly opportunities.

I will have a good, honest, comprehensive report on local Mammoth fishing tomorrow. My day off!! Wooohoo!!

troutbm
07-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the clarification on the SJ. I just fished the area for 9 days. We had excellent fishing. Especially the long ears section. Can't wait to get back !

Dave Neal
07-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Wow, 9 days you got some good coverage! Glad to hear you can't wait to get back, it's nice to have something to look forward to, eh?

alamopc: I'm sorry I don't have any info for you on your inquiry of the SJ down by Mammoth Pool Res. If I find something I will PM you. I would imagine there's a lot of water headed that way, and it will be cold... I skied some of it this winter!