PDA

View Full Version : E Sierra report(s)

mikel
06-30-2010, 01:25 PM
edit: guess I should have put this in "Trout" but was thinking of the fish I got in my tube when I started the post...sorry (duh)...-m

Hi...Not sure if there's much interest in this kind of report, but a couple of friends have been urging me to submit...and I guess there's no other way for members here to get to know me.

Have been 3 times so far since mid may to the East side. Good results from each trip, but the late winter and runoff have changed things up a bit. My buddies are old like me and a bit crippled up, so most of my fishing is drive up...

Trip 1 (camping near Tom's Place on Rock Creek)

Fished Bishop Creek for planters...mayfiles were the ticket for small planted bows and some browns as well. Fished Intake II as well for some nice alpers fish (2-3 lbs) that they plant in there. Stripped olive buggers with a prince dropper.

Fished Rock Creek with both attractor dries and nymphs for great little brookies. It's a little brushy creek and my 6.5 ft 2 wt was perfect for them. It's full of planted bows, but the brookies are there for a fly guy.

Fished L Owens at 350 cfs....pretty tough, but browns were there for a stimi/dropper. Best dropper was a zebra midge, but a PT was just about as good. Also nymphed with good success (pt or caddis wormy thing with zebra midge on bottom). I landed nothing over 12 or 13" but there are bigger fish there.

*L Owens flowing 500+ cfs now...probably unfishable, or at least DANGEROUS to cross

E Walker was flowing about 190 which is real nice. Hopper or stimi with zebra midge or micro may dropper was very good. There was a BWO hatch but it petered out in about an hour mid afternoon.

Trip 2

camped at Sonora Crossing and walked into Kirman with my tube. Scuds and Leeches were the ticket on a tough day. There were 3 of us with tubes and we landed 2 each...all very nice brookies (17" plus) but no cutts at all that day. I had 4 grabs for the day (5 hrs) and netted the 2. (Wind was HOWLING all day)

E Walker was the same as above. W Walker was huge and the Little Walker was brown and large as well (it is probably fishing fine by now).

Robinson creek was high, but fishable for dfg planters. (easy way to fill an hour or 2)

Trip 3

Just got back Monday...camped at Tom's again. Rock Creek Lake was excellent in my tube. Olive Matulkas are the ticket for Alpers to several pounds. I netted 3 of really good size and a few others that were 15-18". There are DFG planters too to keep you busy. Lot's of people.

Still snow down to the water at Viginia Lakes. I tubed Big Va and it was marginally slow. Landed 1 fish of size and a few DFG guys. NO BROOKIES for me, which is a drag. There were fish dimpling the surface a bit, but no action for me on dries. There were midges and I tried a Griffith's Gnat to no avail, but didn't try dries unless I found myself near a riser.

E Walker (old reliable) came through with good fish on the regular flies there.

As I mentioned above, L Owens is very high and I didn't even look at it. Creeks are still very high, but most are clear and fishable. Rush Creek looked awesome, but I was out of time when I got there.

-Mike Leslie

Nomadic Fisherman
06-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Very nice report. I was kinda wondering how the fishing was over the hill.
My brother just got into the sport this year and I want to take him over there for a "Trout Fix". Catching fish is the best way to get a beginner hooked.

By the way, I actually spell my name the way you have it posted.
Funny how small the world is...

Mikel Young:D

mikel
07-01-2010, 05:15 PM
By the way, I actually spell my name the way you have it posted.
Funny how small the world is...

Mikel Young:D

Small for sure, Mikel...I was hanging by one arm from a limb to get my nymph into a seam on little Rock Creek when a guy who worked with me in 1982 appeared and said, "hey, don't I know you?" Amazing...

Take your friend to the E Sierras and he'll be hooked, no doubt.

-Mike