PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some top water action?

Scott V
06-30-2010, 08:36 AM
If you are then you really need to start fishing some ponds and smaller lakes. I was at Cameron Park last night and had an awesome time getting lots of top water action. At one point I was getting hit every 2nd or 3rd cast for about a half hour straight. Water temp was 82 to 86 and the fish were fighting hard.

For me nothing beats top water action. So grab your 5 weight, a floating line and your choice of top water flies and get out there. And if you do not have any top water flies get to Kiene's and pick up some size 8 or 10 poppers or small dahlberg divers and get out there and have fun.

BillB
06-30-2010, 08:45 AM
Hey Scott, are you throwing a 5 wt. for LMB? After changing lines in my tube the other day, a real pain, and noticing Shig's and your multiple rod set ups, I am contemplating rigging my 5 to accompany my 7. Thought I would toss the less aerodynamic bugs with the 7 and clouser types with the 5.

Scott V
06-30-2010, 09:36 AM
I use a 5 weight for bass, you just need to keep the bass up if there are weeds around. Most people prefer a 6 or 7 weight, but I am confident with a 5 weight. The only reason I would use a heavier rod is to throw bigger deer hair flies or fishing the delta, for that I use my Sage largemouth rod.

You mention clousers, I do not use clousers any longer for bass, I have actually been using size 8 wiggle tail flies with a black ice dub body. So far I have caught up to a 5 pounder with the small fly, and it seems that my catch rate has increased dramatically throwing smaller flies. But use what you have confidence in, to me that is the most important thing.

leemar
06-30-2010, 02:21 PM
I have also been fishing a 2 acre pond in my area with topwater popper frogs I tie and it is off the hook. Probably landed 30 to 40 LMB last sunday and before the sun came up it was every cast. I am the only one flyfishing this pond and it is like Disneyland right now.

BillB
06-30-2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks, "size 8 wiggle tail flies with a black ice dub body", I'll look into that. A guy my age, over 35 (now there's a joke!), has had time to realize that there is much to learn, still, and many, many knowlegable folks out there willing to help.

I think my 5 will be able to handle the task. Most of the areas I fish don't have much brush. Most ambush points are boulders or defrocked oak trees. Thanks for the info.

Oh, are you using a shooting head system? I think I can get by with an intermediate sink tip around here. I'll give her a try.

Scott V
06-30-2010, 08:43 PM
I use a Cortland 444 Clear camo intermediate line.