PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Camraderie

k.hanley
06-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Hit the trail with Ed W. yesterday (I'm just now recovering!!!!). Best part of the day was the genuine joy of Ed showing me some of his "home haunts." Tremendous landscape, excellent water, superb conversation, celebrating the magical Sierra -- perfect combo. Thanks again Ed.
Cheers, Ken

Jay Murakoshi
06-29-2010, 09:24 PM
What !!! Sounds like you're sucking air... What about all those mountain climbing days :-)
How far did Ed have to carry you

:-(

M

Ed Wahl
06-29-2010, 10:31 PM
Kenny that was a blast.

I'll tell you guys something about Ken.

Whether he's sucking air or blowing chunks:D he's still the most observant person I've ever fished with. This guys senses were way out there. He missed nothing.

You really put me to shame, hearing that deer sneaking away. I totally missed it. I've been taking too much pride in that area, thanks for the knockdown. I'll be working on that.

Check this out, you guys that have been up there with me have noticed, some kind of irritated, that I'd stop a conversation mid sentence to track and ID some bird that just flew by. Well, this trip it was two sets of eyes tracking at the same time. A new experience for me.

There's more to fishing than fish and Ken definitely gets that.

Thanks for the trip bud, it was an eye opener and a pleasure.

If nothing else just remember this, "when the good fishing bird is singing, get a fly on the water". ;)

Oh yeah, and don't talk back to the river people.

Ed

GreggH
06-29-2010, 11:04 PM
We want pics, we want pics..........

Jay Murakoshi
06-30-2010, 07:01 AM
hearing that deer sneak away, heck he can't even here me talking when standing 4' from him. I think his wife calls it "selective hearing" Right on bro - since you opened up the can of worms, I gotta mountain we can climb at Las Arenas ya know which one I mean

M

k.hanley
06-30-2010, 08:34 AM
Jay................ Me with selective hearing? Ab-so-lutely! Me climbing mountains again? NOT! Boy did I get my tailfeathers kicked. Oh well that's the name of the game. Gotta be out there to make the memories. The mountains around Las Arenas look great but you'll have to send a burro to carry me out!

Ed..............Next trip we need to bring the field guides to better ID flora and fauna. Only next time we'll be covering "flatter ground."

Gregg............When I get my camera back I'll post a shot of Ed doing his thing.

Cheers, K

Scott V
06-30-2010, 08:40 AM
flora and fauna

Weren't they the twins that Fester Addams dated?

MarkF
06-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Hey Ken,

I still have my copy of Flattened Fauna if you need to take it with you. The Belted Kingfisher is still my favorite.

Mark

k.hanley
06-30-2010, 05:25 PM
Scotty...........You just might be right about Uncle Fester. Nice call.

Mark..............That is without-a-doubt the best naturalist guide I've ever seen. All I remember was the two of us laughing so hard we had belly aches and tears streaming down. Pure genius! Thanks for that memory bud.
Cheers, K

Phil Synhorst
06-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Check this out, you guys that have been up there with me have noticed, some kind of irritated, that I'd stop a conversation mid sentence to track and ID some bird that just flew by.

Ed

Never been an irritant for me, always seen it as a learning opportunity. Not as cool as the snakes we've come across, but pretty sweet none the less.

Ken, I was happy to hear you were up on the waters I learned to fly fish on, then bummed to hear you weren't feeling too well. Hopefully you'll get the chance to get up there again and really fish it good.

k.hanley
07-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Since I've gotten some emails asking about the field guide Mark posted, here's the title and author; Flattened Fauna, Revised: A Field Guide to Common Animals of Roads, Streets, and Highways by Roger M. Knutson.

Phil.........Hiking and backpacking throuthout the Sierra was always a personal treasure. Because of obligations I don't get into the mountain rivers much anymore (mostly saltwater, warmwater, and other field endeavors). Ed extended to me an opportunity to explore an area I hadn't seen since the late 80's. I've been blessed with a career of traveling the planet and still find the High Sierra perfectly amazing. The Sierra is still one of my favorite places to be. (And yup -- we did come across a few snakes with rattles and without). I bet you have great memories of that first day on the water!
Cheers, Ken

Scott V
07-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Ed is a hell of a guy, he has taken me into places I would have never seen or even attempted to go into. Every trip into the woods with him is a cherished memory and I hope to add to those memories every year. But I must say, there were plenty of times I was ready to kill Ed and leave him for the birds for taking me in so bloody far and I know for sure he heard me saying under my breathe "I am going to kill you".

k.hanley
07-01-2010, 01:37 PM
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w155/pacificextremes/Ed-Total-Bliss.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w155/pacificextremes/EdHighSierra.jpg

Ed in total bliss.

Scott I'm sure he heard every word you mumbled! :-)