PDA

View Full Version : Fly fishing writers...

Rich Morrison
06-28-2010, 08:15 PM
I have run out of good Fly Fishing reading and I need some point outs on good books/writers. I've read all of John Gierach's stuff, A River Runs Through It, and a number of not so good things. Here is what I'd like - post a couple of your favorite stories/authors/books on the subject so we can all find some new good stuff to read. Here are two of my all time favorite short stories:

The Fly Rod from John Gierach's book Trout Bum

A Light Green Rain from Dave Ames' book True Love and the Wooly Bugger

Thoughts...

michaeln
06-28-2010, 08:34 PM
I like Gary LaFontaine's writing a lot, RIP.

oldtrout
06-28-2010, 08:45 PM
Harry Middleton is about my favorite.
I recommend you read The Earth is Enough to see if Middleton is for you.

Ralph
06-28-2010, 09:14 PM
The River Why (David Duncan), 92 in the Shade (Tom McGuane), and What the Trout Said (Datus Proper).

pgw
06-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Roderick Haig-Brown, The Western Angler
Robert Traver, Trout Magic
Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Ed Zern, To Hell With Fishing
Sid Gordon, How to Fish from Top to Bottom

...and newer stuff,

Jerry Kustich, A Wisp in the Wind
Jerry Kustich, At the River's Edge

Paul

esummers
06-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Jerry Dennis - The River Home

John Voelker - Trout Madness, Trout Magic

Rusty Gates (RIP) - Seasons of the Au Sable

Of course, I'm from Michigan, as are the above writers so you'll have to take these recommendations with a grain of salt. In all seriousness, they are very well written.

Ned Morris
06-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Series of short stories by the following:

Thomas McGuane
Jack Curtis
Charles F. Waterman
Russell Chatham

Hairstacker
06-28-2010, 10:24 PM
Ted Leeson: The Habit of Rivers. A little cerebral but damned fine writing. From the same fella who, along with Jim Schollmeyer, gave us The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference.

I too am a very avid John Gierach and Thomas McGuane fan, by the way. In fact, am always reading one of the Gierach books no matter how many times I've read them before and usually get around to reading McGuane's "The Longest Silence" every winter.

Rich Morrison
06-28-2010, 10:36 PM
This is exactly what I needed. Now to go to some used book web sites. Thanks for all the great info.

Also I see that both Traver and Voelker have written books called Trout Madness and Trout Magic...is that right?

oldtrout
06-28-2010, 11:10 PM
This is exactly what I needed. Now to go to some used book web sites. Thanks for all the great info.

Also I see that both Traver and Voelker have written books called Trout Madness and Trout Magic...is that right?
That's correct, but it's only one guy. Traver is Voelker.

Rich Morrison
06-28-2010, 11:15 PM
That's correct, but it's only one guy. Traver is Voelker.

How does that work? Was one a nom de plume or something?

I now have 7 of the above mentioned books on the way to me...I love having a big stack of prospective good reading. Thanks again.

mike borba
06-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Spring Creek is a favorite

pgw
06-29-2010, 11:33 AM
How does that work? Was one a nom de plume or something?

Robert Traver was the pen name of John Volker...another one of his books, Anatomy of a Murder had a fly fishing attorney as the main character (Jimmy Stewart had the part in the movie).

Paul

Frank R. Pisciotta
06-29-2010, 12:25 PM
The River Why and Gierach's books have already been mentioned. Here are some other writers/books to consider:

1---The four (4) books in Roderrick Haig Brown's "seasons series"; "Fisherman's Spring" "...Summer" "...Fall" "...Winter"

2---River of Dreams by Lani Waller. His "Trotters Pool" chapter is the first & only thorough, written account of "what happened in B.C."...dramatic writing to say the least. The other chapters are all fully entertaining reading.

3---Seth Norman's Crimes of Passion and Meanderings of a Fly Fisherman. The latter mostly being re-prints of his column in California Fly Fisher, plus other originals never printed.

4---For general, non-esoteric "how, where & what to"... the numerous books of Dave Hughes

Frank R. Pisciotta

Dave Neal
06-29-2010, 01:16 PM
It's already been mentioned, but I highly recommend: The Longest Silence, by Thomas McGuane

I have bought that book 3 times, because I keep giving it to people.

Also, for some entertainment and a glimpse into a guide's life check out:
A Good Life Wasted or Twenty Years As A Fishing Guide, by Dave Ames.

And the sequel: True Love and the Woolly Bugger.

Lastly, one of my all time favorites: The Next Valley Over, by Charles Gaines.

Darian
06-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Anything by Russ Chatham. I've read a lot of the other books mentioned and find myself coming back to re-read Chatham's books. =D>

How to's are too numerous to mention and almost every one is good. However, the one book I hand to each beginner is the Curtis Creek Manifesto. It'd be interesting to find out how many of this book has sold over the years. I've handed out at least 10 myself.... :D

Darian
07-05-2010, 01:29 PM
One of the authors I failed to mention and enjoy very much is Patrick McManus. Outdoor humor at it's best. To mention a few of his titles, "They Shoot Canoes Don't They?" and "How to Fish a Crick." McManus is a very funny person/writer.... :nod: :nod:

dpentoney
07-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Can't believe no one has mentioned "A River Never Sleeps" by Roderick Haig-Brown.

Rich Morrison
07-11-2010, 04:18 PM
This thread is awesome...so many books I need to read. I am halfway through both Traver's Trout Magic and McGuane's Gallatin Canyon. Both are great reads. This thread is full of golden information. Thanks eveyone...

BillB
07-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Gierach, McManus (outrageous), Ed Zern, all already mentioned, are some of my favorites. This will age me for sure and maybe Darian can add, but I haven't seen any mention of a couple of fellows by the name of Earnest Schwiebert and Gene Hill.

BobVP
07-17-2010, 06:08 PM
"A Treasury of Fishing Stories" Charles Goodspeed

Best collection of fishing stories.....before many of the writers mentioned here were born. Beautiful stuff and includes some of Goodspeed's own work.

Bryan Morgan
07-17-2010, 07:14 PM
If you want a good laugh, read death, taxes, and leaky waders by Gierach.

Terry Thomas
07-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Here's one that I don't believe has been mentioned and one of my favorite authors: Dana Lamb. Two great reads are Beneath the Rising Mist and The Fishing's Only Part of It.

BillB
07-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Now there's a name from the past. Completely slipped my mind. Circa Schwiebert, Hindy, Swisher and Richards. Thanks. I can crack open Beneath the Rising Mist tonight as I looked over my shoulder and there it is in the shelf!

fj40
07-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Dont forget about CFF Seth Norman the Master of Meander. He tells some great stories!

Fats
07-18-2010, 07:40 PM
Ted Leeson... The Habit of Rivers.

Voelker is always good.... Heck, Ed Zern's stuff is a hoot!

Gierach is by far my favorite, but you've read all his stuff.

The River Why is another good read... but it has been mentioned.

Fats
07-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Here's one that I don't believe has been mentioned and one of my favorite authors: Dana Lamb. Two great reads are Beneath the Rising Mist and The Fishing's Only Part of It.

Ooooh Dana Lamb. I'd forgotten about him. His prose almost reads like poetry. Very worthwhile!

Rich Morrison
09-14-2011, 11:55 PM
I wanted to invigorate this thread...I'm in the middle of a deployment and as such getting lost in a good fly fishing tale can be invaluable. I've found and read most of the authors put forth in this thread. Travers is wonderful - just wonderful simple prose and he simply gets it - I'm there on the water with him. I read Gierachs new book and as usual it's wonderful. I found Middleton's book to be moving and beautiful but I'm not a fan of his laden prose - too much decription for my liking. And to who ever suggested Seth Norman - thank you! I did not get any of his stuff until I got over here. I just finished 'Meanderings' and this guy is just amazing. I was right there, like I am with Gierach and Travers, but his writing is infused with such emotion and man does he get it and can he tell a story...I was moved to tears several times reading his book. It was just awesome. I can not thank all of you enough for the information here.
Rich