PDA

View Full Version : How to beat the 100 degree heat in Nor Cal?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-28-2010, 09:43 AM
If you can get up to around 5,000 feet in elevation (or more) generally the air temperatures are much lower than down in the valley floor mid-summer.

Many trout lakes are fishing well now and some of the streams are fishing well with some still running high and cold.

Another trend for Sacramento Valley residents is to head west to the Pacific coast in the heat of the summer because it is much cooler there too. We have surf perch there and some other species too.

In the heat of the summer you can get up extremely early locally and have some good fly fishing before noon.

Night fishing for Stripers is another option to beat the heat. We use to do this from anchored boats at the mouth and lower stretches of the Lower American River and the mouth of the Feather River. Right now with the almost full moon it is really "cool".

Many of us locals would fish Stripers from sunset to sunrise back in the 1970s with flies.

The common belief back then was that Striper could not be caught on flies in the day time.

Ben Kobrin
06-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Just got back last night from three glorious days in Mammoth. When we hit the valley floor yesterday on our way back it was like being punched in the face with the heat. On Saturday I was hiking and fishing in the snow...now this :(

On the bright side, Saturday I caught a Cutthroat, Golden, Brown and Rainbow (in that order) all in a 6 hour stretch. Not many places on earth where that is possible.

-Ben

Scott V
06-28-2010, 12:20 PM
I was in my pool most of Sunday and it sure help beat the hit.

Jeff C.
06-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Wet wading for shad!!

aaron
06-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Ski Kirkwood 4th of july weekend.

Darian
06-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Should be some great cross country skiing up there with all of the snow.... :D

Dave Neal
06-29-2010, 01:36 PM
To Ben: Nice job on the Sierra Grand Slam! But you shoulda gone for that brookie, too! Shoulda been a gimme in any BC lake around here!! LOL. Next time...

To Aaron: Ski Mammoth on 4th of July!!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Hi Dave

How about a fishing report from down your way?

jayclarkflyfishing
06-30-2010, 06:53 AM
Swim all day in Almanor and then fish the hex hatch in the evening.

Jay

Dave Neal
06-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Hahahaha... yeah really sorry I have been lagging on that, Bill. Each time I sit down to write one it changes!!

Seriously, fishing has been really up and down in our area. Runoff has returned quite ferociously. Float tubing one of the hundred lakes around here is a really good call right now! It's what I would do on a day off, if I had one...I have been very busy (good thing not complaining, but) and it's been tough to write a solid honest report. Will get on it very soon. Have a great 4th of July everyone!