PDA

View Full Version : A.R. Report 6/27

Hatch
06-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Fished the American River for a few hours this morning with Captain Dave Cory (Qualifier 105 out of San Diego). We put in at first light and fished below Watt Ave. When we fish together we usually have a little healthy striper competition. We were fishing Rio 250 and 300 grn lines on 8 wts . Dave was fishing a traditional clouser pattern and I was fishing a Targus Foxy Minnow. I use this fly from time to time and have had good results with it. I just picked up a few new ones at Kiene's on Monday. Dave started out pretty strong hooking 2 fish in the first 15 minutes. I had several grabs, but no hookups. Dave continued to get some fish and had a 4 fish lead on me and I was getting frustrated, but as long as someone on my boat is getting into some fish, I am pretty happy. I continued to get grabs, but just could not get them to stick. I cast out to a favorite spot of mine and got tagged once, twice, and then I saw the fish follow my fly. It ate it again right near the boat, but still could not make it stick. Now I was pissed and decided to check my hook to see if it was dull. To my surprise, the new fly had a small plastic hook guard that covered the tip of the hook preventing me from actually hooking any fish.:eek: We had a pretty good laugh about the situation. I removed the safety guard and started to catch a few fish. I checked out the other new Foxy Minnows flys that I bought and they all had the tip protectors on them. I removed them and put them back in my box so I would not have the same problem next time. Pretty Funny. We ended up landing 13 stripers to 3 # in two hours. I should have had a few more for sure, but still a fun morning.
Hatch

Jgoding
06-27-2010, 11:50 PM
LoL Hatch,

As I was reading I'm thinking something must be wrong with your hook. I made it out this evening wading for 5 fish to hand and dropped a nice schoolie (first fish of the day, 5th cast or so). Probably 6-7# range if I had to guess, but I horsed it too hard I'm guessing. I was using a fly I tied today and of course I lost it at the end of the day..... it was a nice fly too. 2 dinks at the end, the other fish were about 18" or so.

I was trying to beat the mosquitos by catching more fish than bites received but I lost in the end.... they were swarming in the shadier spots with foliage but most of them got the last bite of their miserable lives. I would've taken some pics but I killed my camera a couple weeks ago....hope to get the replacement soon, just have to dig out the replacement paperwork....

GreggH
06-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Great report.

Mr. Striper
06-30-2010, 12:20 PM
I guess im going to head out this weekend. Thanks for the report.