PDA

View Full Version : Light grain window switch rods

PaulC
06-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Hey Guys,
I was curious if anyone had recommendations on specific rods that are two handers, but with a low grain window in the 200-300 range.
It looks like Meiser has a trouter rod which fits the bill, but curious what else is out there.
Can't seem to find grain windows on the Sage switch rods and it doesn't look like Winston has a low grain window offering.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
-Paul

SHigSpeed
06-26-2010, 05:02 PM
The Batson Rainshadow 1085 has a 140 - 280 grain window. I built one and loved it but wanted a slightly different build so I sold it. I'll build another soon enough though.

_SHig

nrthcsteel
06-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Meiser could hook you up for sure. Theres also the Meiser designed TFO deer creek switches. 11' 4wt 200-400 grain window and an 11' 5wt. 250-450 grains. Another would be the Beulah 4/5 switch. And Im sure Gary Anderson has some lighter weight switch/spey rods as well. Maybe check his website or give him a call to see what he has to offer as everything he has available may not be listed on his site. Kevin

Rick J
06-27-2010, 10:02 AM
another option is to get actual longer single handed rods and convert them to switches/light speys.

Just remember that a switch/spey rod used with 2 hands and performing spey casts will need significantly more grains than its single handed rating line - probably close to 1.7-1.9 times single handed grain weight depending on your spey casting method.

PaulC
06-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks guys.
I've kind of been narrowing in on a Meiser S2H10634-4 after going back and forth with Bob via email.
Has a grain window of 250 to 400 which puts me in the 250-300 for OH casting and up in the 400 range for spey casting on the rivers.

The other Meiser stick I have is 350-550 grain window.
I currently use a 400 SA line which is a bit of a dredger when fishing the surf down here.
It is a rarity you need more than 300 grains to stay in the zone.
Been using it mostly when covering a lot of water with bigger bugs looking for halibut on an intermediate line and of course up north on the rivers.

-Paul

Mark Kranhold
06-27-2010, 01:28 PM
I had Steve godshall [speywerks] out of Orgeon build me a 12'1" 4wt. I dig this rod. It feels good on 14" trout and has just the right tip for smaller fish and just enough backbone for larger fish to 8Lbs. I have caught shad, summer steelhead, and spring bluebacks on this stick, what fun. Cant wait to take it to the lower Trinity in September. This rod came with one of Steves scandi heads that weighs in at about 290 gr. I highly recommend this rod, if you are ever in Sacramento call me and you can try it out 916-607-7685 Mark

oregonsteel
07-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Hey Guys,
I was curious if anyone had recommendations on specific rods that are two handers, but with a low grain window in the 200-300 range.
It looks like Meiser has a trouter rod which fits the bill, but curious what else is out there.
Can't seem to find grain windows on the Sage switch rods and it doesn't look like Winston has a low grain window offering.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
-Paul

This is easy. Bob Meiser. If he doesnt have exactly what you want, he will build it for you. Other choices are the Deer creek 4 weight 11 footer at 6.5 ounces for $325, and the amundson 3 weight 11 footer at 6 ounces for $250.