PDA

View Full Version : Wading Shoes

BillB
06-25-2010, 12:56 PM
I've been looking for a light weight pair of wading shoes/boots for a while now but nothing strikes me. I want to wear them over my waders in my tube but also use them in the surf. My thought is that if I go down in the surf I would want something that didn't weigh more than my big feet do! Also I don't see a need for heavy boots in the tube. Any thoughts?

john
06-25-2010, 01:17 PM
I've had Simms Flats sneakers for almost 10 years. They're great for wet wading, and provide a wonderful stable platform on casting decks, and great ankle support. I have flat feet and can't handle bare-foot on the deck. Not sure though how you'd size them to handle wader booties, and just socks(those or any other).

speyfool
06-25-2010, 03:24 PM
In my float tube, I wear a pair of scuba dive boots over my stocking foot waders. They have a normal sole on them for walking around or in a boat. And since they are made for diving, they of course fit into a pair of flippers quite easily. Just get a size larger than you normally would wear and you should be good to go.

Mine go up past the ankle a few inches and are very comfortable. Much more comfortable than normal wading boots. And when wearing on a boat, they grip well.

Larry S
06-25-2010, 04:07 PM
Bill:
I second Speyfool on this one. If you are around a dive shop take a look at the dive
booties. Make sure you try them on. I have a difficult time finding a size 12 or 13
bootie that is wide enough for me; so my current pair is size 14. Prices range from
$20 to $60. Look for ones with a side zipper that has a velcro tab to keep the zipper
from sliding down. If you use fins in your tube, make sure that the booties will
fit with them.
Good luck,
Larry S

Darian
06-25-2010, 04:48 PM
How about a pair of good ol' Converse, All Stars, canvas top basketball shoes :?: :?: That's what I've been using for several years now. No complaints.... :D

oldtrout
06-25-2010, 05:57 PM
A bought a pair of these last year for $25.00 and I really like them.

http://chotooutdoorgear.net/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21_24&products_id=8

Phil Synhorst
06-25-2010, 06:54 PM
How about a pair of good ol' Converse, All Stars, canvas top basketball shoes :?: :?: That's what I've been using for several years now. No complaints.... :D

Ahhhh Darian, I love you........in a total brotherly/friend kinda way......not that there's anything wrong with the other.

Cons were my first wading boots, both for with waders and wet wading. Then somehow I thought they just weren't good enough and bought felt soles. I still prefer a regular shoe for wet wading the streams. Never noticed a huge advantage with felt, but then most of my wading is waste deep at best.

BillB
06-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Ahh the old Chuck Taylors! Those were my original wading shoe. I have looked high and low and can't seem to find them anywhere. I have (had) a pair of old Orvis light pack booties which, for all intents and purposes, are Cons with felt soles. After years in the surf they are done for. I have a really wide (and large!) foot. Bet I would need something like a size 14 in a Converse.

Do the dive booties have some sort of sole that would allow a guy to walk a ways? How would that be in the surf?

Larry S
06-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Bill:
Most of the dive booties have a neoprene body and a rubber sole with some sort of a
tread. Have used them for years in the San Diego surf; often walking over asphalt
surfaces getting to and from (or maybe it should be "from and to") the car. A bigger
concern would be fitting into the fins you use when tubing. I don't like the ones with the zipper on the front (top) of the foot. The side zippers on some booties have a tendency
to slide down; hence my liking of that velcro tab at the top. Cabelas sell a neoprene
gravel guard that folds around and closes with velcro if this becomes a problem.
Cheers,
Larry S

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-26-2010, 10:49 AM
We have Glacier Glove Float Tubing Booties for $34.99 They are like dive booties but designed to go over a neoprene stocking foot wader.

What ever you buy has to fit over your waders and then into your fins so be sure to try everything on in sequence.

troutbm
06-26-2010, 03:00 PM
If your looking for a very lightweight, versitile book then I'd highly recomend the Korkers ultra light guide series with the omnitrax sole system, and BOA wire laces. I love this boot. Hands down the best wading boot/shoe I have ever used.

BillB
06-27-2010, 03:55 PM
Hey, I found these on the web, but can't seem to make up my mind! My last pair were white!

Ed Wahl
06-27-2010, 05:40 PM
The scar tissue I have for shins now has made me a true believer in felt, studs, or whatever you have. Not tennies or old hiking boots. That's asking for trouble.
If you cement some felt to those connies you may have something good.
Ed

Darian
06-27-2010, 10:18 PM
WOW!!!! I like the plaid pair!!! :nod: :nod: