PDA

View Full Version : Lake Davis 6-24-10

jayclarkflyfishing
06-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Finally had an excellent day on the lake.Fished two clients from the Merced Fly Fishers and we had a great day.Fishing was slow for most of the day with a fish here and there stripping different flies from Sheeps Creeks to Rickards Stillwater nymphs and Callibaetis nymphs on an intermediate line.We fished all over the lake and caught at least one fish from every spot but one.There were some damsel adults on the north end of the lake and I saw one nymph swimming but saw no fish working the shallows for them.

At the last spot we fished,we were getting ready to call it a day and the fishing turned on so we stayed out for a while.My sports were getting takedowns on every cast for over an hour or so.We put at least 30 fish in the net by the time we called it for the day(the fish were still biting but we were done!).The hot fly for the evening was Sano's Rootbeer Midge fished about 8' deep in 10' of water.Blood midge pupas also had some action.

Water temps are getting up there with 66 degrees being the highest reading taken up in Fairview.Great callibaetis hatch in the early pm and plenty of blood midges as well.I am encouraged by the number of damsels showing but I fear the water will be too warm by the time it finally really gets going and too many fish are going to be inadvertently killed.

Bottom line,it was nice to really get some hot action for a change.My advise is to keep looking for damsels but be ready to midge to have consistent action and stay on the water later into the evening.

See you on the water!

Jay

michaeln
06-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the great report, Jay! Glad to hear things are looking up at Davis.