PDA

View Full Version : 2 hands or 1

GreggH
06-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Ok, one more time for the guy who's never touched a two handed rod. I totally understand the spey theory and love it. Please help me see the advantage of the switch rod. Is the overhead/one handed option there just for close in work? I would love to get a 6 wt for high stick'n, streamer fishing and shad. What do you think and thanks in advance.

Darian
06-21-2010, 09:01 PM
From my limited perspective, switch rods are really great. They can be cast overhead (single handed) or spey cast (two handed). Roll casting is very easy, as well. The only thing that bothers me about the whole two handed rod mystique is the line weights involved. Think grain weight windows not line weights. For example, I have a 6/7 weight Beaulah 10' 6" switch that casts a line equivalent to a 9 weight, easily. Too heavy for the application I envisioned when buying it. Not complaining tho. I still have uses for 6/7 rod.

I now have a second (4/5 weight) Beaulah switch rod that is much better suited for Shad, high sticking nymphing and Steelhead.

Do some homework before making your purchase and you'll be very happy.... 8-)

David Lee
06-21-2010, 09:08 PM
Ok, one more time for the guy who's never touched a two handed rod. I totally understand the spey theory and love it. Please help me see the advantage of the switch rod. Is the overhead/one handed option there just for close in work? I would love to get a 6 wt for high stick'n, streamer fishing and shad. What do you think and thanks in advance.

Gregg -

Two-handed overhead casting and Spey casting are two different things .

As far as I see it , using two hands to cast has NO downside - it just spreads the load and makes everything physical really easy. Handy if you have an injury , or a weak casting wrist (Where's Adam ??) ..... I have two fried elbows and casting a double makes life good .

Hope this helps -

D.~

GreggH
06-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Hey Darian,

Thanks for getting back on this. I will probably get a 4/5 as well. What line are you using for shad and high stick'n ?

GreggH
06-21-2010, 11:26 PM
Hey David, I understand the two cast are different. What I'm not getting is a clear explanation on the advantages of the switch. I see the spey advantages, fatigue ect but when do you ever cast one handed with this rod? And why? I've learned that the spey/roll lines don't even cast that well overhead. Help, I'm in this small yellow bus and I cant figure it out.

Bob Laskodi
06-22-2010, 08:00 AM
I'm not a switch hitter by any means (pun intended!), but I just got my first switch rods (Orvis Helios) and gave them their first baptism this past weekend in the surf. You can't use traditional spey casts in the surf (good thing because I suck at it!) so it was strictly overhead single hand casting using shooting heads. I already have a ton of shooting heads setups, so nothing new was bought (except for the rod of course!). Pro's----The switch rod really excelled at flinging a fly long distances, lifting the tip over waves, and the switch handle on the butt was fantastic because it fits perfectly in my armpit whilst doing two hand retrieves without the reel handle sticking me in the ribs. Con's----didn't notice any, but dang, they sure are expensive! After one outing, I give them two thumbs up.

Darian
06-22-2010, 08:44 AM
Gregg,.... I've purchased an Elixir, integrated sinking head line for each rod. These lines are designed for Beaulah rods. The line packages are marked to match the rod but the grain weight windows for those lines are higher. I use the rods single handed. Rarely two handed.

The way I high stick, I'm not sure it matters much which line is use since I try to keep the the line out of the water. The cast is more of a lob and the flies are heavily weighted. Due to the tight line to the fly, most of the fish hook themselves.

Like Bob, I already have a number of shooting head set-ups for each rod for other uses.

The only compliant I have with them (very minor annoyance, really) is that when I cast single handed, the butt section occasionally catches in my shirt sleeve (short sleeve shirt). Oh well.... :D :D

PaulC
06-22-2010, 08:53 AM
Hi Gregg,

I have been using a Meiser switch rod for both the surf and rivers for a few years now.
Quite frankly, I don't see a need to ever cast it as a single hand rod.
I do all of my overhead casting with both hands.
It takes a bit getting used to with regards to trapping the line and shooting from a basket, but you can develop nice line speed and cover distance with little effort.

Like Darian pointed out, look at the grain window not the rod "weight" when sizing for your application.
My rod has a window of 350-550.
I tend to load it on the low end at 400 for overhead and around 525 for spey.
I just use your standard surf lines for the salt and skagit heads, etc for the rivers.
I'm definitely no expert, but that seems to be working so why fix it?

I'm sure the folks at Kiene's can get you dialed in.

-Paul

bigfly
06-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Greg, been using a 6wt. Z-axis. for a few years. Lined with a 9wt. Rio Salmon/Steelhead taper, It fills a hole I didn't know existed.
On the Truckee at high to medium flows, I think it blows doors on a 9-10ft. rod.
Almost all of my fishing is single handed. whether fishing Indy style, dries, or swinging a streamer, big casts/drifts are not a problem.
If the occasion arises that you need more power, the other hand can play too.
Had a few clients, and friends test drive it before buying one.
Two, lost a fly in bushes on the far side of the river. Both said that was a first for them.
It is just another way to fish, but a highly addictive, and effective one.

Jim

wjorg
06-25-2010, 11:07 AM
But the chafing is bad enough with one hand....