PDA

View Full Version : Almanor Reports 2010

aaron
06-21-2010, 03:31 PM
The bite picked up on sunday 6/20 until most of the tubes/tunes were forced off the lake by high winds around 8:30pm. Look for high pressure to help the bite stay consistent over the next week or so.

If you're on facebook the SSM page will have up to date reports for the 2010 hex hatch http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sierra-Stream-and-Mountain/119045868118284?ref=ts

aaron
06-21-2010, 10:44 PM
Lincoln reported slower fishing tonight with very few bugs out compared to last night. Only 1 fish landed, a landlocked king. Headed up tomorrow, stay tuned for more.

aaron
06-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Tuesday June 23 was slowwww. Minimal hex action. A good blood midge hatch came off n the evening but the fish just didn't respond to anything in particular. Water temp was 63 degrees, still a tad cool for this time of year.

FRSam
06-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the reports Aaron...I was going to head over to the lake yesterday but from what I've heard the Hex hatch still hasn't come off with any significant numbers. We're defiantly behind this year - damsels are beginning to show over at Davis but not in the numbers we usually see by this time of the year.

Patience....

Pete

aaron
06-24-2010, 08:05 AM
Lincoln reported better fishing last night despite the slow hatch. His clients landed 4 fish which is better than what has been the norm.

aaron
06-25-2010, 11:03 AM
I'm starting to feel like a broken record...few bugs out tonight. Only 4 fish for the 12 people out fishing. Slow...I think the name of the game is consistently inconsistent at best. Supposed to be triple digits in the valley by sunday...water temps should keep on rising.

Troutstalker55B
06-25-2010, 03:43 PM
Aaron,

Thanks for the reports! I hope to get over to the other side of county when time allows. I just posted a "never sink" hex cripple you and others might want to check out. I have fished this pattern for many years and thought is was about time to share. Just click on my blog link at the bottom and look for the post.

Best of luck out there!

Jon.

aaron
06-26-2010, 10:38 AM
7 fish for 11 anglers last night. Still slow. NWS reported a light snow dusting above 8k on Lassen? Will be doing a climb/ski in the morning and fish in the evening one day next week once it cools back down.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Just guessing that mid-July would be good for a once a year trip to Lake Almanor for the Hex hatch in the evening.

If you get to go all the time, then go all the time....you lucky dogs.

Same thing with Davis Lake this year........mid-July?

aaron
06-27-2010, 10:35 AM
I think in normal years mid July would be the tail end to too late. Once the water warms up the fish are less on the bite. Normally the bugs have popped by now and late June is prime with optimal water temps and lots of bugs. Lincoln reported 5 fish last so more of the same conditions.

aaron
06-28-2010, 10:55 PM
Bugs finally came off in some numbers tonight! Get out and fish between now and the 4th as the water will probably be too warm after that.

aaron
06-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Bugs were few and far between last night. Not sure if this season is going to develop any consistant hatches.

aaron
07-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Last night was solid for the hatch and fishing.

FRSam
07-01-2010, 04:53 PM
aaron you're driving me NUTS!!! The last place I want to be on the 4th of July weekend is trying to fish Lake Almanor. But thanks for all the up-dates.

We all anticipated this was going to be a banner still-water year with all the water and both the hex hatch at Almanor and the damsel hatch at Davis have been very inconsistent. Oh well the off years just make the better years seem that much better.

Pete

YEM
07-04-2010, 11:48 AM
I camped at Butt Valley Reservoir (who was the genius who thought of that name?) the nights of Wed-Fri (6/30-7/2). Fished at Butt on Wed night, a few hex were hatching and I caught a big, nasty squawfish.

Fished at Lake Almanor on Thursday evening (Rocky Point) and the place was completely dead, unless three adult hex count for something. However, the guys back at Butt said the hex hatch finally turned on down there, bite wide open. Nice! Except I was at the wrong lake.

So, of course I was at Butt on Friday and the hex hatch was on again, but not as good as Thursday. We were fishing from the bank down by the dam and caught some nice smallmouth. One of the guys in our campground showed us a big old brown to make us jealous.

Fished some of the local streams (lots of white water) and my favorite secret lake during the day. Took a few little rainbows for the frying pan. Found out the road over Mt. Lassen will be closed until next Friday. Beautiful weather. Awesome scenery. Fun. Great burritos at Roberta's. Good trip.