PDA

View Full Version : Olympus Floating Straps for cameras work

Grampa Spey
06-18-2010, 05:26 PM
I have a Olympus Stylus 1050 camera that is waterproof up to 10'.

Recently I read about waterproof cameras sinking to the bottom of rivers and lakes.
So I ordered a few of these for my camera and son's.

My wife and I have a new Hobie Oasis Tandem Mirage Kayak, and we took it for a trial to Lake Berryessa.

When they sell you a kayak or you see pictures of people having fun in a kayak, they don't tell you about how easy it is to tip over your kayak getting in or out of it.

We had a nice place to put in the kayak and wade out to knee deep or a little more to get in. I held the kayak while she got in as per some instruction from a friend. She got in with no problem.

I was on the left side of the Kayak by the rear seat. I told her to lean right as I got in.

My wife and oldest son are two of the most intelligent people, I have ever know. However, when you say go left they go right or vice versa.

So as I started to move onto and into the Kayak, I said, "Lean to your right!".

She moved and leaned to her left as I was entering the kayak. Experienced kayakers know what happened next.

The kayak leaned/listed to the port side and turned over. We both went into the water. My old Navy Training kicked in. I grabbed her as her life preserver worked perfectly and held her and the kayak. In the meantime my camera started to float by my wife. She laughed and grabbed it. About that time my GPS with out a perserver went out of the kayak as I turned it right side up, and I caught it about a foot under water. I tossed the GPS into the right side up Kayak. Grabbed my bobbing and floating wife and kayak got us back to the shore.

After a good laugh, we turned the kayak over to drain the water out put the GPS into the dry bag after toweling it off and the camera with its life preserver back into the side pocket of the kayak.

The next launch attempt worked, and we had a good time until white caps came up and had no problem beaching the kayak and getting out.

So get life preservers for your cameras/gps units/whatever and wear your life vests before you get into any boat, canoe or kayak keep them on until you are safely back ashore.

Info and where you can buy the lifevest for a camera/gps unit:

http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=slv8-hptb5&p=olympus%20floating%20camera%20straps&type=

bigfly
06-20-2010, 08:34 AM
GS, glad you grabbed the GPS, and your girl. You would be lost without them.
Epics happen in the blink of an eye. I know.
I wear the auto inflate vest, and actually tested it once, just to see how it works in an emergency. (Cheap insurance)
I also recommend a rod holder for avoiding the big fish/disappearing rod trick.
I'll say again. Have fun, be safe, try to do both at the same time.

Jim

Grampa Spey
06-21-2010, 06:58 AM
I bought the Stohlquist Fisherman High Back Life Vest . It isn't that impressive as a fly fishing vest, but it is very comfortable in the Oasis Mirage seats.

What rod holders do you recommend?

GS, glad you grabbed the GPS, and your girl. You would be lost without them.
Epics happen in the blink of an eye. I know.
I wear the auto inflate vest, and actually tested it once, just to see how it works in an emergency. (Cheap insurance)
I also recommend a rod holder for avoiding the big fish/disappearing rod trick.
I'll say again. Have fun, be safe, try to do both at the same time.

Jim

bigfly
06-22-2010, 08:52 AM
GS, I have a variety. Scott seems to work best. Smaller bait model works for me.
I hooked Walter with a rod lying loose, almost lost a thousand $ in the blink of an eye.
Worst part is, I lost him in the ensuing fire drill! He aired out after I broke him off, doing a pissed off Tarpon impression, a bigfly in the corner of his mouth. Bought a rod holder the next day.
I still have dreams about it..

Jim