PDA

View Full Version : Wyoming end of July

Jaybinder
06-18-2010, 03:46 PM
Going to Wyoming the last week in July. We will be driving around the south western part of the state. Not sure about YNP. Whats the one piece of water you would not miss? Also any suggestions on where to stay, eat, cool fly shops or places to grab a cold one are welcome. Thanks.

RJSFLYTRIP
06-21-2010, 08:47 PM
I have been fishing western wy for over 15 years. My favorite river is the upper green outside of pinedale. Lots of big fish. What is cool about this place is there is tons of access and all styles of fishing will work. You can throw dries, dry/dropper, or big streamers. I have caught more big fish on this river than I have anywhere.

Great fly shop is Two Rivers Emporium. Make sure to pick up a couple batmans to use as a dropper nymph off your dry.

There is also an awesome brewery in town where most of the fly fisherman end up at the end of the day.

From there there are also lots of little creeks within 30 mins. Check out the S. Fork of Cottonwood creek if you like the small watershed thing.

Hope you have a great trip.

Tight Lines.

Jaybinder
06-23-2010, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

Jaybinder
07-13-2010, 05:19 AM
The trip is a week away! I'm tying hoppers like crazy.

Any other ideas out there?

Kevin Goding
07-25-2010, 10:58 PM
Hope this isnt too late. Fished the Hoback today, mostly small cutts and whitefish. The report on the Green River by Pinedale was slow, that area is getting really inconsistant flows on most of the streams and they are just turning on. My advice is get up to the North Fork of the Shoshone out of Cody. Throwing stonefly nymphs is producing some quality fish. The flows are somewhat up, so tons of fast water, look for runs/riffles 2-4' deep with big rocks on the bottom, thats where I found the fish. I only had time to fish 2 runs, but landed 4 fish, the smallest one was 21", all rainbows. I dropped 4 other fish and missed a few strikes as well.

Most of the fishing in the area appears to be nymphing, mostly stonefly patterns. Just be prepared to do lots of scouting, as the water levels are somewhat high, so finding accessible areas with fishable runs may be hard. I have a feeling finding some of the tribs that feed the larger rivers may be more productive, they'll just have more fishable water per mile. So far we've been doing more walking than fishing, but I have no complaints, as the fishing is good by any standard.