PDA

View Full Version : Just one line

Jay
06-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Im lookin to get a sinking line for my 8wt. I can afford one line. Talk about information overload while I was shopping for one. I am going to use it for throwing big streamers. Pyramid, the Truckee, and a few big other big trout lakes, maybe for bass occasionally. In the top 10ft in lakes. full sinking, sink tip, whatever, it is all too confusing. Somebody just tell me what I need! I realize that it will be a collection of compromises most likely, but that is fine. I just need an all around sinker.

Thanks!

Darian
06-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Rather than getting even more info than you need, why not go to your closest fly shop and ask them what they recommend :question: You might be able to try it out, too. :neutral:

Kiene's has lines of every type and some on sale as well. :D

Jay
06-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Because I dont really like any of my nearest shops, and Kiene's is over an hour away. Totally not worth the time or effort. My closest full line shop is whatever that one off 80 in Antelope is called, and I refuse to shop there. Matter of fact, I refuse to shop there because when I very very first started, I went there to get a line. I told them what I needed and they overcharged me for a line that wasnt even the right weight for my rod. Not even close to it. Plus the guy was a rude condescending prick.

mark
06-16-2010, 02:56 PM
I have to recommend the Rio Outbound with the T-8 head for that. Thats what I use for pyramid exclusively, works well in lakes as well although it may dip below the 10' level depending on how far you cast it. Also works well in the delta for LMB and stripers.

Scott V
06-16-2010, 03:17 PM
I use a type 3 full sinking line when I need to get deeper than what my intermediate line will do. The only time I have used a heavier sinking line was for stripers in the delta, for that I use a T14 full sinking line.

Another thought would be to go with a shooting head system, that way you can switch out for whatever depth you need to be at. You can use an inexpensive running line and then switch out the heads. I use this type of system for shad and I use Amnesia for the running line since the cost is so cheap. Some do not like amnesia but I do not run into the coiling issues with mine.

Bryan Morgan
06-16-2010, 04:08 PM
I also recommend a shooting head. Maybe a type 4. I will use that for anything from Shad(assuming the flows are in there) to fishing lakes like Fuller. Just a suggestion! But beware, you have to get used to them.

joshfish
06-16-2010, 06:27 PM
i just asked my flyshop this same question last night. they suggested a shooting head setup. a full sinking line would run about $70. for just a few dollors more i can get a shooting head setup with a couple of different sink rates. im going to get a type three and a type six. plus you can buy other heads later.

Ed Wahl
06-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Jay, I've got a 7wt set up with multiple shooting heads I use for shad and a t14 head I use for stripers on a 9wt.

These are always rigged and in the back of my truck.

Shooting heads are cheap.

How 'bout I bring 'em up for you to try out while I hook bass after bass in one of your ponds this weekend?

I am such a ho, aint I?

Ed