PDA

View Full Version : Hardy has new cutting edge rod material

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Hardy announce fishing rod revolution (take 2) with SINTRIX

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I may have witnessed a bit of history, “Where were you on the 27th of May 2010”, people may ask?

Decades after changing the fishing rodworld with the introduction of carbon fibre, Hardy, the well known British brand, has done it again. A 12-man media-jury gathered in Alnwick today to hear of Hardy’s new breakthrough technology called SINTRIX™. The fishing rod world will really never be the same again.

SINTRIX™ short for Silica Nano Matrix is a new formulation of resin that binds the carbon fibre and re-enforces the blank to such an extent that broken rods may be a thing of the past. On the Hardy rod test machine today we witnessed a SINTRIX™ fly rod basically being bent double without breaking. It was a staggering demonstration. Rods made with SINTRIX™ are effectively 60% stronger, up to 30% lighter and have hugely improved impact resistance over conventional carbon fibre.

Initially the new technology will be used in Hardy fly rods but eventually SINTRIX™ will also be used in Carp, Coarse and Sea ranges within the Greys and Chub brands.

Rods made with this technology (SINTRIX™ inside!) will take the market by storm when they launch in January 2011. The rest of the world's rod makers are, from today, playing catch up.

On a recent test trip to Florida five Hardy & Greys product developers caught around 1,000 fish on SINTRIX ™ rods .The fish ranged from 5lbs to 350lbs and the idea was to put the SINTRIX blanks in situations above and beyond normal use. Despite their best efforts to test the rods to destruction their testers did not break a single SINTRIX ™rod! Some of this action is available to view below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwJvDs5MnFo

Andy Mill, Hardy & Greys US based consultant and five time gold cup Tarpon tournament winner said about SINTRIX™ rods.

“These new SINTRIX™ rods are the most powerful, lightest, smoothest casting rods ever designed EVER!”. Andy recently landed an 80lb Tarpon in Just four minutes using a SINTRIX™ rod.

Initial SINTRIX™ developments involve three Hardy fly rod ranges, one saltwater range and two freshwater ranges which will include double handed models. In addition to these increases in performance and durability the company retains its commitment to using the highest quality fittings. This combination has not, however, resulted in a price increase which puts this material and its advantages out of reach to most consumers and prices should be comparable with other premium fly rod ranges.

The new Hardy SINTRIX™ rods are set to be available in January 2011 but I tried three of them today. They were too good for me!

Congratulations to all the Hardy team on what marks another historic day for this historic company.

Colin.

wjorg
06-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Watching the video after reading all the jargon, so at first I was like. "Oh my god!"

Then I realize they have a 9'6" 7 Weight, and their isnt any pulsing really in the rod. So it didnt break. The video didnt really show anything fantastic. Its a long, thin rod, bent over.

I read a quote on another site....it said something to the effect of "if fly rod technology has really advanced as much as the marketing would indicate we would have rods as thick as pencil lead that cast 170 feet."

Tim Rajeff did the bent over rod test with his Echos, didnt he?

Not trying to poo on the parade(really though!), they are probably great rods. But I want some evidence that they meet the claims. How about shooting the rod with BB's at specific known forces and proving its more resistant to impacts. Where are the numbers that back up the 60% stronger and 30% lighter?

oregonsteel
07-03-2010, 12:10 AM
Watching the video after reading all the jargon, so at first I was like. "Oh my god!"

Then I realize they have a 9'6" 7 Weight, and their isnt any pulsing really in the rod. So it didnt break. The video didnt really show anything fantastic. Its a long, thin rod, bent over.

I read a quote on another site....it said something to the effect of "if fly rod technology has really advanced as much as the marketing would indicate we would have rods as thick as pencil lead that cast 170 feet."

Tim Rajeff did the bent over rod test with his Echos, didnt he?

Not trying to poo on the parade(really though!), they are probably great rods. But I want some evidence that they meet the claims. How about shooting the rod with BB's at specific known forces and proving its more resistant to impacts. Where are the numbers that back up the 60% stronger and 30% lighter?

I could care less about all the propaganda, I just worry that to pay the propagandists the rods are going to be made in south korea and still cost just south of $1000. The angel 2 costs $2000!!! Now I assume it is made in England, but you can get a Meiser custom made to your specifications for $800.

Yall know I have a hardy lrh reel thats drag is broke, and I found out they only have a 1 year warranty on lrh's!!

Sometimes I think they should just sell Hardy labels that you can attach to stuff to make you feel cool for $9.99

oldtrout
07-06-2010, 11:06 PM
And more hype from G. Loomis?

"IT TOOK 17 YEARS TO BUILD THIS ROD.
AND ONE SINGLE CAST TO CHANGE FISHING FOREVER."

"It's coming. August 13th, 2010. The moment anglers have been waiting for."

I did not know I was waiting for anything, let alone a "moment."

I guess I'd better mark my calendar!

lineas tenso
07-20-2010, 05:39 AM
FLY LINE MAY 2002

LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE

BY VINCE STALEY

Raoul Culpeper was disliked by all. Ever since his parents emancipated him at the tender age of 14, Raoul had no friends. You see, Raoul was a perfectionist. Nothing out of the box suited him. He constantly complained about the way things were or how they worked.

As soon as he was financially able, Raoul went to college to learn the tools necessary to make things work to his exact standards. After many years he ended up with a wall full of degrees in many technical disciplines. While studying at Penn State University he had become intrigued with a course in fly fishing and decided to look into this arcane method of obtaining dinner from a stream. His instructors immediately hated Raoul as he found fault with the equipment, the techniques, and his mentor’s teaching methods.

So, in typical Culpeper style, he set about redesigning the rods, reels, lines, and especially the fishing flies. For Raoul to be content each cast had to be perfect and result in the largest fish taking his offering and coming to the net. Raoul, with his college knowledge, had no problems with the hardware. Reels were stripped down and reworked to perfection. Rod blanks were turned into works of art, and performed with beautiful loops of smoothly-flowing fly lines. But Raoul had trouble with his fly tying.

Where the stocked trout were placed he fished with perfection. But where the waters held wild fish he found his hooks, adorned with fur and feathers, refused. It drove him mad. Raoul went on an internet search binge for the perfect fly pattern, the killer-fly of flies. His efforts took on Herculean proportions as he searched for the “Holy Grail” of feathered fakes.

At long last Raoul melded his electro-mechanical knowledge with the skills of a commercial fly tier. He devised a micro processor that moved the critical body parts to simulate an ovipositor mayfly. From his chemistry studies he created the scent of fresh mayfly eggs. His rod now held a compact transmitter that, when activated caused the fake fly to quiver and drop small eggs.

Raoul’s first venture astream was beyond all expectations. He caught so many fish that other anglers started to crowd in upon him seeking knowledge of his success. It got so bad that people followed him home and peered through his workshop window.

I lost track of Raoul and for many years had no knowledge of his whereabouts until just by chance I saw his face while in the checkout line at Food Lion. The headlines screamed, “MAD SCIENCTIST FOUND KILLING BATS”. It seems that Raoul, after solving all the mysteries of fly fishing, became bored and went on to more challenging endeavors.

Raoul’s employers at the top secret Ft. Belvoir Night Vision Lab discovered that their number one experimenter had used his government lab to produce sonic homing arrows. Raoul was now stalking the night shooting at bats with guided arrows from his crossbow. This is a sad and tragic narration of the eternal search for the perfect fishing fly that eventually destroyed one of fly fishing’s greatest innovators, Raoul Culpeper.

Frank Alessio
07-22-2010, 09:24 AM
Then what happened?

lineas tenso
07-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Raoul went to work for Hardy.:D